Best Dive Bars | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Dive Bars

Reaction Score
Red Dog Middlefield good call. First time I went in there end of a work day they made me take my tie off and staple it to the ceiling above the bar before being served. Right down the road in Middlefield in Lake Beseck was/is Rovers Lodge another dive bar of excellence.
My wife grew up in Middletown. I asked her if she knew Red Dog and she laughed. She said she always wanted to go there but was scared to walk in!

Reaction Score
Red Dog Middlefield good call. First time I went in there end of a work day they made me take my tie off and staple it to the ceiling above the bar before being served. Right down the road in Middlefield in Lake Beseck was/is Rovers Lodge another dive bar of excellence.
Rovers... good call

Reaction Score
My wife grew up in Middletown. I asked her if she knew Red Dog and she laughed. She said she always wanted to go there but was scared to walk in!
My buddy got his butt kicked in Red Dog because he was wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt and my buddy has a big mouth and talked back. Who doesn’t love Mickey?
Beachcomber and Hellwigs in Milford, Lenny’s in Wallingford, New West Cafe - Westville

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Black Duck still going strong in Westport.
Black Duck was never a dive. They serve salads. And have top shelf booze. Even though they have the fun house titled floor to the men's room.

I don't know if any dives still exist in Stamford. Melfi's in Springdale was the one I grew up with, but changed hands in the 80s. The Shamrock in Shippan might still be going. You couldn't get drunk enough to be refused service there. p

My dive in Quincy was a typical Sully's shot & beer joint. I see that closed a couple years ago which is sad. That was the kind of place where it's doubtful the regular clientele will ever be comfortable elsewhere.

Edit: I see @dvegas included Burn's Tavern in Glenbrook. Yeah, that certainly qualifies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You should have seen the Sea Grape when it was the Nautilus late 70s into 80s. Bar floor was crooked and the swill would flow downhill and get an inch deep against the wall. Smell of urine and non working toilets. Those were the days!

Black Duck still going strong in Westport. Ultimate is Matty's Corner in Black Rock. Defines dive.

Out of state, old stomping grounds Chanticleer pub in Ithaca, NY. It was old in 1980. Still there as is Rhine House.
the Naut was a great place .went in there for lunch once and left at 2 am

Reaction Score
did the same thing at my cousins cafe in New britain except they might not have let you take the tie off before they stapled it to the ceiling

Reaction Score
My buddy got his butt kicked in Red Dog because he was wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt and my buddy has a big mouth and talked back. Who doesn’t love Mickey?
Beachcomber and Hellwigs in Milford, Lenny’s in Wallingford, New West Cafe - Westville

Was thinking about Lenny’s but maybe gave it too much credit to be a dive bar. Knew Lenny T, solid golfer, good guy. Nice bar good clientele back in the day too lol

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The Naut.

Nuff said.
The Naut was before my time, wish I experienced it. Thursday nights at the beach we’d do a rotating keg called “The Naut.”

Reaction Score
Grew up in Meriden home of the dives!! Others in the area Sals, Raffalas and Polly’s in Middletown, Dudley’s and Corner Cafe in Wallingford, Quitos and Popular in Southington, Mayos in Middlebury, Federal and JPs before UConn games in Hartford....so many great ones back in the day. Now it’s hard for the dive to survive!
In Southington and in addition to the Popular, one block down on other side of street was the Liberty. Both places never carded SHS kids in late seventies. Always a blast.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Old Town- Old Wethersfield
Facts. I lived in Old Wethersfield for 8 years and would walk to the OT. Now I live in “just Wethersfield” and have to drive there. I have so many stories surrounding the Old Town. I can confirm it’s a proper dive.

Reaction Score
Was thinking about Lenny’s but maybe gave it too much credit to be a dive bar. Knew Lenny T, solid golfer, good guy. Nice bar good clientele back in the day too lol
Lenny was a great guy, I grew up in Wally and in the 90’s would hang at Lenny’s with Todd T. bartending. I also played softball for the Corner Cafe, mid 90’s

Reaction Score
You got your Hooligans but that was very much a UConn hangout. I think it might be Pub 32 now. I do remember hanging out there one afternoon seeing a lady about 8 months pregnant drinking, smoking, and throwing darts.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Lol the clermont. If you know, you know.

I get there 2-3 times a year when in Atlanta on business. Always have a blast but never for the same reasons.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The Naut was before my time, wish I experienced it. Thursday nights at the beach we’d do a rotating keg called “The Naut.”
There was another real dump of a bar on the beach that was not as popular with students, probably because the shuttle from campus only dropped off at the Naut. I think it was called The Surfside.

Reaction Score
There was another real dump of a bar on the beach that was not as popular with students, probably because the shuttle from campus only dropped off at the Naut. I think it was called The Surfside.
You are correct sir. Uncle Chick and rarely NRBQ would play there.

Reaction Score
My home away from home. Knew Franklin’s bartenders and rarely paid.
The sons ran that place, Michael and Joey, and there was a bartender named Mark Taylor whom I was friends with at a younger age. This is mid 80s. I was cooking in restaurants up and down Main St. MacAndrews for one, Middlesex Opera House, and Polly's, another great dive bar that had food though. Hung out at La Boca a lot. Barnum's was another dive bar in there; they had a lot of live blues going on there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The sons ran that place, Michael and Joey, and there was a bartender named Mark Taylor whom I was friends with at a younger age. This is mid 80s. I was cooking in restaurants up and down Main St. MacAndrews for one, and Polly's, another great dive bar that had food though.
Early 70s for me. Didn’t know the sons. I don’t even know if it was the same owner by that time, but it’s gone now. Drove through that area last year and was surprised how much changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom