Besides Iowa, what other teams rely predominantly on one player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Besides Iowa, what other teams rely predominantly on one player

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech’s Kitley should be on everyone’s list. Without Kitley it is unlikely that VT would be a ranked team. While Amoore is a very good guard, her stats wane in comparison to Kitley’s.

Reaction Score
You can argue most valuable, but UCONN is not a one person team.

Edward's value is in part due to there being no replacement. Using the same standard Muhl was the MVP last season when she and freshman Bettencourt were the only guards on the roster.
Put UConn's roster on the auction block and let the WNBA teams bid for them and Bueckers will get the top price, by far.

Reaction Score
Edward's value is in part due to there being no replacement. Using the same standard Muhl was the MVP last season when she and freshman Bettencourt were the only guards on the roster.
Put UConn's roster on the auction block and let the WNBA teams bid for them and Bueckers will get the top price, by far.
Pretty certain the thread was about predominantly relying on ONE player. She is far from being in the position that Taurasi found herself. So as far as reliability allow me to present this. One has played without the other and the other hasn't. MVP depends on what you value. So does drafting order. Edwards's value is due to her performance.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I would tend to think that Edwards not even being UConn's top scorer for the season (that's Bueckers) would categorically rule Edwards (and logically UConn) out of the running for "teams that predominantly rely on one player."

To me the gold standard examples I can think of are Clark (and before her, Gustaffson) at Iowa, Fair when she was at Buffalo, Morrow when she was at DePaul, Plum at Washington, and Kristine Anigwe at Cal. The closest we've really come to that at Stanford was Chiney's senior year. And surprise, surprise, just like Geno and UConn, the really top coaches and programs ensure they don't end up relying on one-trick ponies, because sooner or later they graduate. (and with the exception of Iowa, every other program I just mentioned tanked as soon as their star graduated).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The closest we've really come to that at Stanford was Chiney's senior year.
What about at some point during Nicole Powell's career? She wasn't exactly surrounded by top flight talent. Or right at the start of Wiggins' tenure? I can't remember who else was there her Fr. year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum at Washington
I would actually argue against this. During her Jr. year when they made the Final Four run, Osahor and Walton were both critical during the Tourney. And as great as Plum's Sr. year was, Osahor also had a marvelous season.

Reaction Score
in the position that Taurasi found herself
I will forever be bemused and confused by the fantasy that has grown over the years about DT being left to fend for the Huskies' fortunes with virtually no one to help.

Strother, Moore, Conlon, and several others played well in '03-04 and played key roles for UConn during DT's final season. As great as Diana was, and Geno and CD were as coaches, it took more than one player to win that title, and the one before it.

UConn '03 and '04 have no place in this discussion. Let's respect the really good players who helped DT win her last two titles at UConn, please.

Reaction Score
I will forever be bemused and confused by the fantasy that has grown over the years about DT being left to fend for the Huskies' fortunes with virtually no one to help.

Strother, Moore, Conlon, and several others played well in '03-04 and played key roles for UConn during DT's final season. As great as Diana was, and Geno and CD were as coaches, it took more than one player to win that title, and the one before it.

UConn '03 and '04 have no place in this discussion. Let's respect the really good players who helped DT win her last two titles at UConn, please.
Here's the point of my broad comment There are always other players and everyone plays their roles. It's not about trying to place any disrespect. I don't think Geno meant any disrespect when he said ...we have (Diana/Paige) and they don't. Paige is playing alongside another AA in Edwards.

Reaction Score
Let Edwards get in foul trouble like Reese did when you play Carolina and you will see quickly how valuable she is to your team. Berry, Brady, and Elfy are no match for Cardosa. That's how valuable Edwards is to your team.
I agree with you, but Jana El Alfy, has not played in a single game for UConn this season. Remember, she got injured before the season started. But you’re correct about Brady and DeBerry.

Reaction Score

At UConn, Strother would play for future Hall of Fame inductee Geno Auriemma and alongside two-time National Player of the Year Diana Taurasi while helping Connecticut to its fourth and fifth national titles.

Strother played in all 143 games of her collegiate career and started in 142. She averaged 12.9 points per game in her career and 14.0 in her senior season despite festering foot problems. Strother would eventually finish seventh all-time among UConn scorers with 1699 career points, and second all-time in career three-point field goals with 290. Strother joined some elite company when she became only the second player in UConn history to amass more than 1600 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists, 100 steals, and 100 blocks- the other being Diana Taurasi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom