Besides Iowa, what other teams rely predominantly on one player | The Boneyard

Besides Iowa, what other teams rely predominantly on one player

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We know how much Caitlin shoulders the load for Iowa and within the Big East Lucy Olsen is similarly shouldering the bulk of offense for Villanova which got me thinking about other schools who's leading lady is far and above the rest of the cast. It doesn't have to mean the rest of the cast are futile but just that the "star player" is focus. Another example is Raegan Beers at Oregon State and Juju Watkins at USC.

So I haven't done an exhaustive list with analytics (but knowing my OCD I may end of starting one) so here is my back of the envelop list and am looking forward to others input.

Team..........Player
Iowa..........Clark
'Nova.......Olsen
USC...........Watkins
OreSt........Beers
FSU...........Latson
Utah.........Pili

ND with Hildago was leaning predominantly on one player but with Citron back in the line-up they have a bit more sharing
NC with Deja Kelly is also a team I thought of and know she thinks she is but I do think there is a bit more balance than is coming to my mind.

Who else am I missing?

Reaction Score
Before this season and Ustby’s great work, UNC would definitely have been another one.

And Utah last season with Kneepkens was very balanced. Now they’re much less so.

Stanford just proved they’re not one with Iriafen leading a clear win without Brink.

Maybe UVa with Camryn Taylor? Tennessee and Rickea? Maryland and Sellars?

Reaction Score
Before this season and Ustby’s great work, UNC would definitely have been another one.

And Utah last season with Kneepkens was very balanced. Now they’re much less so.

Stanford just proved they’re not one with Iriafen leading a clear win without Brink.

You beat me to it on UNC. I actually think Ustby is the better overall player compared to Kelly. Deja can create her own mid-range shot very well, but is not a very good pure shooter, and the rest of her game is nothing special. Ustby seems to impact the game in so many ways and has superior overall PER stats as I recall.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Tennessee and Rickea is an absolute 1 women team. They were terrible without her. Maryland as well is predominately a one player team. I don't know enough about Virginia and am not motivated to look at their stats given how bad they are.

Reaction Score
Tennessee and Rickea is an absolute 1 women team. They were terrible without her. Maryland as well is predominately a one player team. I don't know enough about Virginia and am not motivated to look at their stats given how bad they are.
Yeah idk where TN would be without Rickea

Reaction Score
A few that jump out are:

Michigan- Laila Phelia
Minnesota-Mara Braun
Fresno State-Mia Jacobs
Houston-Laila Blair

Reaction Score
Let Edwards get in foul trouble like Reese did when you play Carolina and you will see quickly how valuable she is to your team. Berry, Brady, and Elfy are no match for Cardosa. That's how valuable Edwards is to your team.
Cardosa isn’t playing in the game against UConn number 1. Number 2 Elfy is out for the year so of course she is no match up. 3 we don’t have. A chance against South Carolina with or without Edwards or Paige 4 take away ANY player on UConn right now and they are in serious trouble of 5 Paige is absolutely UConns best player objectively and subjectively.

Reaction Score
Cardosa isn’t playing in the game against UConn number 1. Number 2 Elfy is out for the year so of course she is no match up. 3 we don’t have. A chance against South Carolina with or without Edwards or Paige 4 take away ANY player on UConn right now and they are in serious trouble of 5 Paige is absolutely UConns best player objectively and subjectively.
There has been speculation that Cardoso is going to play, but who knows. If that's the case (not playing), then I really am worried about UCONN upsetting us. We will just have to disagree on who we think is the best player on UCONN's team. Looking forward to the game. It will be rocking in the Colonial Life Arena that night. Heck we just sold out for Vandy.

Reaction Score
There has been speculation that Cardoso is going to play, but who knows. If that's the case (not playing), then I really am worried about UCONN upsetting us. We will just have to disagree on who we think is the best player on UCONN's team. Looking forward to the game. It will be rocking in the Colonial Life Arena that night. Heck we just sold out for Vandy.
The Brazil national team announced her as part of their 12 man roster today so it seems pretty clear at this point.

UConn doesn’t have a chance even without Cardosa. Losing one starter isn’t a big deal against a team down 3 starters and a two bench players. Now South Carolina might win by 10-15 instead of 20-25.

Reaction Score
Let Edwards get in foul trouble like Reese did when you play Carolina and you will see quickly how valuable she is to your team. Berry, Brady, and Elfy are no match for Cardosa. That's how valuable Edwards is to your team.
(North) Carolina's not on the Huskies' schedule.

Reaction Score
We know how much Caitlin shoulders the load for Iowa and within the Big East Lucy Olsen is similarly shouldering the bulk of offense for Villanova which got me thinking about other schools who's leading lady is far and above the rest of the cast. It doesn't have to mean the rest of the cast are futile but just that the "star player" is focus. Another example is Raegan Beers at Oregon State and Juju Watkins at USC.

So I haven't done an exhaustive list with analytics (but knowing my OCD I may end of starting one) so here is my back of the envelop list and am looking forward to others input.

Team..........Player
Iowa..........Clark
'Nova.......Olsen
USC...........Watkins
OreSt........Beers
FSU...........Latson
Utah.........Pili

ND with Hildago was leaning predominantly on one player but with Citron back in the line-up they have a bit more sharing
NC with Deja Kelly is also a team I thought of and know she thinks she is but I do think there is a bit more balance than is coming to my mind.

Who else am I missing?
Oregon State isn't relying on Beers exclusively at this point in OSU's season. Oregon State is getting contributions from many and may own the deepest bench in the PAC-12.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Oregon State isn't relying on Beers exclusively at this point in OSU's season. Oregon State is getting contributions from many and may own the deepest bench in the PAC-12.
Of course EVERY team has to have other contributors but the sheer fact that Beers leads all the stats by so much and the team plays so much better with her on the floor (versus the regular foul trouble she is prone to) states Emphatically she is by far their dominant player. I could Post the season stats for the BY vote if you want but I think
My point is made.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Well Watkins at USC certainly stands at the top of this list after a 51 point performance to take down Stanford.

Quite amazing to read the box score. One other player scored 12, two others scored two each, and that was it.

Also, the team only had 5 assists, and Watkins had two of them.

I didn`t see the game but the stats strongly suggest she was doing it practically all on her own.

Game planning for this has to involve junk defenses, box and one, etc.

Reaction Score
Well Watkins at USC certainly stands at the top of this list after a 51 point performance to take down Stanford.

Quite amazing to read the box score. One other player scored 12, two others scored two each, and that was it.

I didn`t see the game but the stats strongly suggest she was doing it practically all on her own.

Surprised Tara couldn't slow her down. Ju-Ju gots the Ju-Ju!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So, now that Beers has been out and OSU is 1-2 including a loss to Washington, how are you feeling about all the contributions your getting from the deepest bench in the PAC-12? I am sorry to say, I still disagree as the stats are so heavily tilted towards what Raegan Beers does for that team in minutes, rebounds (10.7 to 6.6 for second), points (17.5 to 10.7) and heck, even her steals of 28 still lead the team!

OSU does rely on Beers and was really playing top notch basketball as good as anyone in the PAC before her injury. I hope she's back in time for the PAC Tournament, otherwise the deepest bench is in trouble.....

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

I was there in person. On offense, it was a total one-woman show, and a master class in creating off the dribble. And we were guarding her closely - she just has the ability to reliably make contested mid-range shots - off of pull-up jumpers, off of step asides, off of step backs. Plus dribble drives and shake and bakes to the basket. Oh, and step back treys. Everything. It was wild.

The rest of the team contributed on defense and basically sent a wall of bigs to foul Brink and Iriafen enough to completely shut our offensive momentum down. I think they had two bigs foul out and two more end with 4 fouls each, but it was just enough to get the job done when JuJu had the JuJu. I generally don't think very highly of Gottlieb's coaching abilities, but I'll give her credit for drawing up the perfect plan and being lucky enough to have a freshman who can score 51 points in a game...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom