Beer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
If you really, really love him... "The Beer Cave"!

brew_cave_a_walk_in_beer_cooler_and_kegerator_h2kic.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Took the advice of several BY'ers and tried a sampler case this weekend- Summertime, 312, IPA and Honker Ale.

I like them all. The Summertime worked real well with the surf-n-turf skewers we were grilling.

Definitely a trump card when travelling on the road and surveying the tap handles in local pubs.

Reaction Score
Isn't Goose Island owned by Bud or Coors or something like that? Last year a guy in the industry told me it was but there is nothing on the bottle that says so.

That being said I used to drink summer brews all summer long but since last year I've migrated to just IPA's and Newcastle. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is pretty damn good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Isn't Goose Island owned by Bud or Coors or something like that? Last year a guy in the industry told me it was but there is nothing on the bottle that says so.

That being said I used to drink summer brews all summer long but since last year I've migrated to just IPA's and Newcastle. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is pretty damn good.

They're owned by the A-B folks. I don't know how much of it comes from marketing and distribution and how much comes from messing around with ingredients, brewing and bottling.

Even though it started in Chicago the bottles I bought in Florida had a NY bottling location.

It's still good beer.

Reaction Score
Agreed that it is still good beer but I just can't get past the fact that it is not a true micro-brew. Don't get me wrong, I'd still drink it though!

Reaction Score
My wife and I try to sample local flavors whenever we travel. In Boston last weekend I told the bartender I wanted to sample all the local flavors and I'll start with the Harpoon IPA. Guy next to me says "No brainer ... order the Sam's." Bartender says ... "Good luck with that ... Sam's is brewed and bottled in Cincinnatti ..." :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We were in Burlington, Vermont this weekend and I tried something brewed there called "Alchemist Heady Topper".

It was definitely unique.

Reaction Score
Goose Island is pretty freaking average. Give me some Alpha King, Gumballhead or Zombie Dust from Three Floyd's brewing or anything at Revolution Brewing or Half Acre out here in Chicago, they blow Goose Island out of the water.

Reaction Score
Cigar City Jai Alai IPA is out of this world. Cigar City Brewing Co. Is in Tampa. Probably the best beer to my pallet I've ever had. I just discovered it a couple of months ago and find myself craving it almost daily. Give it a shot.

Reaction Score
We were in Burlington, Vermont this weekend and I tried something brewed there called "Alchemist Heady Topper".

I've been to The Alchemist in Waterbury VT but don't remember what I drank. I will be headed to Stowe in June and plan to try and stock the fridge with this stuff. It's wildly popular.

Reaction Score
Here in NY State, Wegman's has this crazy deal called "Craft Your Own Pack" for $8.99. You basically grab assorted bottles off several shelves and make your own 6. The weird thing is that they have high value beers on those shelves like Sam Smith's and Ommegang. A 4 pack of Ommegang usually goes for $12-13 there, but a 6 pack can be had for $9 if you're willing to put the bottles in the pack yourself.

And, of course, Ommegang is the best beer made in NY State, and probably top 10 in America.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I hope you tried some of the brews from Switchback up that way... stumbled upon it years ago while killing time for a Magic Hat tour... ended up being the best beer we had.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here in NY State, Wegman's has this crazy deal called "Craft Your Own Pack" for $8.99. You basically grab assorted bottles off several shelves and make your own 6. The weird thing is that they have high value beers on those shelves like Sam Smith's and Ommegang. A 4 pack of Ommegang usually goes for $12-13 there, but a 6 pack can be had for $9 if you're willing to put the bottles in the pack yourself.

And, of course, Ommegang is the best beer made in NY State, and probably top 10 in America.

The Publix stores here in Florida have a similar deal. It's a good way to sample a few different beers at a time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Goose Island is pretty freaking average. Give me some Alpha King, Gumballhead or Zombie Dust from Three Floyd's brewing or anything at Revolution Brewing or Half Acre out here in Chicago, they blow Goose Island out of the water.

I'll drink the average poser beer and wear your scorn with pride to avoid going to Chicago and be added to their out of control murder numbers.

Rudy's deep dish is the only thing in Chicago worth risking your life.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hope you tried some of the brews from Switchback up that way... stumbled upon it years ago while killing time for a Magic Hat tour... ended up being the best beer we had.

Honestly, I'm not much of a beer expert. We were up for the marathon and we intended on taking a tour of one of the breweries up there, but time got away from us. (The weather was horrific.)

We went to a restaurant on Church on Sunday and they had a ton of local beers. I had something from Otter Creek (did not like it) and then had to choose between Switchback and the Alchemist - went with the Alchemist just because someone said that I'd like it.

Not sure if I did or didn't - really, really unique. I've never had anything like it - it tasted a bit like an orange peel.

Reaction Score
I'll drink the average poser beer and wear your scorn with pride to avoid going to Chicago and be added to their out of control murder numbers.

Rudy's deep dish is the only thing in Chicago worth risking your life.
Haha, are you talking about Lou Malnati's? I like thin crust Connecticut pizza more than any pizza I've ever had but for deep dish Malnati's and Pequod's are pretty tasty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Haha, are you talking about Lou Malnati's? I like thin crust Connecticut pizza more than any pizza I've ever had but for deep dish Malnati's and Pequod's are pretty tasty.

I don't know the whole history, but there is a Lou Malnati's and there is Rudy's owned by Rudy Malnati. I had the chance to run in to Rudy a few times at social events- he's got a personality you don't ever forget. Good guy, good pie.

Reaction Score
Yup, I've never tried Pizano's but I've heard people say they like it. Marc Malnati owns Lou Malnati's and they are all over the place out here. Only have deep dish once in a blue moon, actually whenever a friend from out of town is visiting. A few of the places are pretty tasty but it always makes me feel like garbage later on. Connecticut does pizza better than Chicago.

Reaction Score

My brother-in-law lives just outside of Ellicotville. He's always got a good amount of Southern Tier in the fridge. We also had lunch at some brew pub in Ellicotville ... not bad, and very nice town. I'll have to ask him about Ommegang.

Reaction Score

If you like IPA's try Lagunitas IPA - can't miss the bottle as it has in great big letters IPA. Stone IPA is also good. Sierra Torpedo not so good...well for my taste. For me IPA's taste best out of a frosted glass.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Had to reply +1
Like the CA brews as well.... Alesmith, lost abbey, Russian river, port brewing

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Are you guys on the UNTAPPD (sp?) app on the phone? I just got on it, helps you find track and rate your brews. Like Foursquare you can friend, and see who is drinking what locally.

I am with Fishy, not a huge aficionado though I do like to remember what and when.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom