Beer | Page 267 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
As already said, they never sell in stores. Talked to the guy at Sandwich when I was there last weekend. He said they will be brewing on site at the new Saratoga Springs location, because NY law won't let them bring beer in from MA without a distributor. So that's how far they'll go to avoid distribution.

@upstater it's a rare style, but also, as I said, not all that unique really. Most of the California Common beers I've had have been lighter bodied than Anchor Steam, some are even pale gold not amber. I'm not sure anybody is really replicating Anchor Steam. So you might just shift to malty amber lagers and ales and see if you can find something you like that is readily available. Ales will be more common, an ESB might work. On the lager side, this is from Buffalo. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/702/47193/
I've had Rusty Chain before. Sometimes it really seems aptly named. Flying Bison is a solid brewery for everyman beers.

Buffalo is really an excellent place for me since the two best brewers specialize in American wild ales, sours, and Belgians, which is what I like. But other than their pilsners, I never buy their everyday beers (IPAs, porters, etc.)

I guess I will just have a look at my local lager section to try to find something that will approximate Anchor Steam.

Reaction Score
As already said, they never sell in stores. Talked to the guy at Sandwich when I was there last weekend. He said they will be brewing on site at the new Saratoga Springs location, because NY law won't let them bring beer in from MA without a distributor. So that's how far they'll go to avoid distribution.

@upstater it's a rare style, but also, as I said, not all that unique really. Most of the California Common beers I've had have been lighter bodied than Anchor Steam, some are even pale gold not amber. I'm not sure anybody is really replicating Anchor Steam. So you might just shift to malty amber lagers and ales and see if you can find something you like that is readily available. Ales will be more common, an ESB might work. On the lager side, this is from Buffalo. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/702/47193/
I cannot wait for the Saratoga location to open. What a combo with Fidens down in Albany for the Capitol region. Having 2 of my top 3 breweries in this proximity to all that is Toga is delightful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I cannot wait for the Saratoga location to open. What a combo with Fidens down in Albany for the Capitol region. Having 2 of my top 3 breweries in this proximity to all that is Toga is delightful.
I agree, it sounds like Treehouse at Saratoga is going to be a winner. I remember the first time I got in line at the original Treehouse. It was about an hour and 20 minutes and the folks behind me managed a tap room in Saratoga. They said they were just there for the beer, not business related.

Reaction Score
I agree, it sounds like Treehouse at Saratoga is going to be a winner. I remember the first time I got in line at the original Treehouse. It was about an hour and 20 minutes and the folks behind me managed a tap room in Saratoga. They said they were just there for the beer, not business related.
the worst was when you would wait in line for 2 hours expecting to get 5 or 6 cans (max per person allotted that day) and then 2 those cans would sell out right before it was your turn - so you left with 4 cans haha

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tremendous stuff.

IMG_2735.jpeg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1000007241.jpg

An incredible stout at Caius Farm in Branford. Smooth and creamy with coconut and vanilla.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to sketch some plans. Fox farm is being annoying not being open earlier in the week

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How are you even getting it to watch?

If you are a whiskey guy at all, I thought the Pearse Lyons distillery tour was good. Every hour on the hour. Guinness at the pub 30 yards away was the best I've had, it's right behind Guinness. Pearse Lyons Distillery, Dublin | Premium Whiskey Tours & Tastings

Some streaming sites I normally use when it's not on fs1 or ESPN. I'll have to check that out as well. Ive been to Teeling before which does a nice tour but havent heard of Pearse Lyons

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Some streaming sites I normally use when it's not on fs1 or ESPN. I'll have to check that out as well. Ive been to Teeling before which does a nice tour but havent heard of Pearse Lyons
It's right down the street from Teeling. They built it in the old St. James church. It's really pretty interesting.

Reaction Score
Pearse Lyons is tied into the Alltech Lexington Brewery and the Alltech grain and feed enterprise. I forget the complicated realtionship and exact situation but after opening the brewery (taking over the lexington name from the previous owners) they decided to open up a distillery in the ancestral home.

edit: I hope I didn't get that wrong, I was dealing with some serious anxiety problems on that beer road trip

Reaction Score
Pearse Lyons is tied into the Alltech Lexington Brewery and the Alltech grain and feed enterprise. I forget the complicated realtionship and exact situation but after opening the brewery (taking over the lexington name from the previous owners) they decided to open up a distillery in the ancestral home.

edit: I hope I didn't get that wrong, I was dealing with some serious anxiety problems on that beer road trip

I'm not very knowledgeable about whiskey but sounds interesting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The distillery is in a church, not a home, but it is next to where his grandfather was born. It is connected to that grain enterprise. The family had been coopers, making barrels near the site of the distillery for generations. Pearse Lyons went to the US on a gifted scientist visa it seems. Built that business and opened the Lexington Brewery and Town Branch distillery. Also the Dueling Barrels Brewery & Distillery in Kentucky. About Pearse Lyons - Pearse Lyons Distillery

Reaction Score
The distillery is in a church, not a home, but it is next to where his grandfather was born. It is connected to that grain enterprise. The family had been coopers, making barrels near the site of the distillery for generations. Pearse Lyons went to the US on a gifted scientist visa it seems. Built that business and opened the Lexington Brewery and Town Branch distillery. Also the Dueling Barrels Brewery & Distillery in Kentucky. About Pearse Lyons - Pearse Lyons Distillery
I meant ancestral home in the sense of city and country and not facility. My apologies.

-----

Otherwise: Eyeing Counterweight and Kinsman Saturday assuming travel goes well. Eyeing Human Robot and Neshaminy first. The first two go if traffic turns shambolic. Which it usually does... Merritt parkway... you disappoint me.

Tuesday... probably Maine.

Unless I hear objections... Thursday will be very open-ended near the hartford area with a friend. Friday is Fox/Tox/Beer'd.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tonight we head to Craft Roots brewing in Milford Mass. The beer is just ok, but the band playing is terrific.
IMG_0373.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On Thursday we went to Angle Tree in North Attleboro, MA. The beers have improved. It’s a nice local brewery, not a destination of any kind. Wanted to get together before Christmas. It’s a Geoffrey IPA- quite a lot of grapefruit peel/seed and hence bitterness. Cream Ale uses lots of vanilla and has a Crème Brûlée type flavor. Nice for a low abv beer. The Winter Warmer is a lot like Harooon’s, which is a bit overpriced for me but still ok.

I think this is what the craft beer culture really gave us. It’s a variation on the local pub. A gathering place with beer for friends to get together. I like to support these places.

Reaction Score
day went poorly, only crawled out of bed at 1 and then panicked... human robot was good, neshaminy was ok but didn't have stickers :( So since i started so late... yeah. Still haven't gotten to counterweight... try number 4 or 5 on thursday maybe.

HuskyHawk... my local place behaves more like a pub with a bunch of regulars and is still mildly dysfunctional but they're making good beer and we're working on them to improve their habits.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is a truly good beer. Glad Sam is finally selling it in six packs and not just the winter mixed pack.
IMG_2783.jpeg

Reaction Score
EA4793D6-B8DD-43F8-8122-63D00809CBCB.jpeg

Black Fern. Insane banger from Treehouse. 7.8% IPA on the cusp of DIPA territory. Hops from Garston Hops, the southernmost hop grower in the world, on the South Island of New Zealand. Flavor explosion. As much as I’m fighting it, I’m turning into a Treehouse fanboy.

Reaction Score
View attachment 94829
Black Fern. Insane banger from Treehouse. 7.8% IPA on the cusp of DIPA territory. Hops from Garston Hops, the southernmost hop grower in the world, on the South Island of New Zealand. Flavor explosion. As much as I’m fighting it, I’m turning into a Treehouse fanboy.

Heard their golf course in Haverhill is sweet. And there’s rumors of expansion in my old hometown of Meriden on Research Parkway. They know how to create a winning venue for sure. Honestly haven’t found a beer they make I like, even their Pilsner is hoppy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom