Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You think there is a chance they are going to be playing in CT in a packed indoor arena? I didn't consider that because there is little chance of that. Not until we have a vaccine or herd immunity.

If you want to see UConn play this season, you better hope they do it in empty arenas.
It will have to be a vaccine because you cannot achieve herd immunity doing what we are currently doing with masks, social distancing, prohibiting large crowds, etc.

Reaction Score
Arbys, McDonalds and the like kill far more people than Covid. Maybe we should shut down those, too? Think of the lives you could save (while simultaneously ruining the lives of all of those franchise owners, their families, their customers, etc).

My grandparents (one of whom lurks on here) won't die because the fatso sitting next to me at the movie theater ate at Arby's. You see how a personal choice affecting only yourself and a highly infectious disease which spreads asymptomatically are different, right?

Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how flippant some people are about how horrendous this is for so many. Yep, just a moderate inconvenience for 12-18 months...get out of your bubble.

You know what's horrendous? Dying alone in a hospital in quarantine from your loved one on a ventilator.

You know what is not horrendous? My 4 year old having to wear a mask at Pre-K most of the time. He'll be fine.

You know what is not horrendous? A 17 year old having her frigging soccer season postponed. She'll live.

I'm sorry you guys are all looney tunes.

Reaction Score
I think all of us have both younger people and older people about whom we care a great deal. No one wants to sacrifice our parents or grandparents. But your characterization of what is essentially the home arrest of my elementary and middle school aged kids for "like 12-18 months" during a period of their lives that is crucial for learning and socialization as "moderately inconvenient" is ridiculous. We are doing significant damage to our youth right now, even if you can't see it.

A society that respects and cares for its elderly is good and noble. A society that sacrifices its youth for its elderly is insane.
Why exaggerate to try and make your point if you think it is strong? Kids in the NE started missing school mid-March, elsewhere April ish. So they missed 3 months tops & then it was summer. Now its September and on average I'd say schools are 50% open. So why characterize 3.5 months as 12-18 months?
Then explain how many deaths of 80yr olds are necessary to facilitate opening schools beyond 50%?

Reaction Score
Most obese large country in the world. We knew from day 1 obesity leads to the worst health outcomes for this virus and yet nothing on food and lifestyle changes from our health officials. It's a whole lot easier to destroy all our businesses and hamstring kids futures than tackle the real problem.
Day 1 .... I don't think that is actually true. Pick another day.

Reaction Score
You come across as a major , it's unbelievable you can post that others (me) don't have perspective after you type this. Yep it's just a small inconvenience, yep it's just some 20 somethings missing out on a little fun, the thread title should be about the bubble some of you live in...it's astounding.

Kids aren't being educated and socialized, tens of thousands of people aren't getting cancer and heart disease diagnosed and treated, kids are getting beaten up and molested at home more with no outlet, girlfriends and wives getting knocked around more than usual, depression and other mental illness has gotten worse, suicides are up, divorce is up, people are losing their apartments, houses, businesses, health insurance etc.

It's a whole lot easier to say its just a moderate inconvenience and people want to see grandpa die then to discuss seriously what's actually going on. It's totally unsurpising you bash young people and think what's happening to them is frivolous.

Ok, so let me try to sort this out. You’re using the argument that elderly people should voluntarily die because now people with heart disease and cancer can’t be treated? You realize hospitals are still open, right? So it’s ok if someone say 75-80 dies of COVID, but your empathizing with those dying of cancer. What age do the cancer patients need to be before we can start caring about them? Is 60 too old? Because I’m assuming using your same logic that an 80 year old cancer patient’s life has zero value.

And before you go attacking me, who you know nothing about, my dad died of cancer way too young, so I’ve lived through that nightmare and don’t wish it on anyone. And I have young kids at home who are being impacted by the pandemic as well, but they will be fine because the only world they know is the one they’re living in. The pandemic is tough on everyone, but don’t start getting on your high horse telling people which lives have value and which don’t. You don’t get to decide that. Kids are a lot more resilient than you’d imagine.

Reaction Score
You come across as a major , it's unbelievable you can post that others (me) don't have perspective after you type this. Yep it's just a small inconvenience, yep it's just some 20 somethings missing out on a little fun, the thread title should be about the bubble some of you live in...it's astounding.

Kids aren't being educated and socialized, tens of thousands of people aren't getting cancer and heart disease diagnosed and treated, kids are getting beaten up and molested at home more with no outlet, girlfriends and wives getting knocked around more than usual, depression and other mental illness has gotten worse, suicides are up, divorce is up, people are losing their apartments, houses, businesses, health insurance etc.

It's a whole lot easier to say its just a moderate inconvenience and people want to see grandpa die then to discuss seriously what's actually going on. It's totally unsurpising you bash young people and think what's happening to them is frivolous.

This idea, that the 2nd order consequences of lockdown are worse than the virus is worth thinking and planning about, certainly. In that, they are 2nd order consequences and you will have to deal with the long tail of this tragedy and all the externalities for a lonnnnnng time.

But for crying out loud guys, if we hadn't locked down we would have crushed out healthcare system, which was stretch alllllllll the way to its maximum even with a complete lockdown. I know, my wife was a nurse of an entire hospital that was turned into just a covid processing center. You would have had death on a scale that is seriously hard to fathom. I mean with full lockdowns in the early states and essentially shutting the US commerce system down for 3 months we are looking at 200k dead and another 500-1000 every day for the rest of the year!

Here is what the models predicted with no shutdown. 60 MILLION infections, which would have absolutely smothered our healthcare system, causing systemic failures as protocols broke down, we ran out of qualified healthcare workers and beds and ventilators and people would just be dying in the streets, literally.

Meanwhile other countries that acted like responsible adults for 60 days are back to normal.

This actually reminds me of a mideival history class I took at UConn my senior year, and we had this economics lesson that explained that from a purely economics standpoint, the black plague actually was a huge boon to the mideival economy. It killed off most of the old and feeble, and the workers that were left had more bargaining power. The professor then said: "Of course, 33% of the population of Europe died in 5 years, but for those that left it was in many ways a golden age."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You need to get your levels checked. You may need to switch from Prozac to Haldol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom