2024 Recruiting: - Austin Swartz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Austin Swartz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I'd still disagree though. No way to prove it, so whatever. It's just odd to assume that other coaches weren't also exposed to basketball at a young age.

FWIW, college coaches can (and do) see as many high school games as they want. It's the contacting players that have limitations. I'd imagine a rule that said college coaches can only attend X amount of games per year would be challenged and overturned in court before Charlie Baker could sign the paper.
Since Hurley and Boyle overlapped in jersey high school , and Hurley mentioned they had a collegial relationship could that relationship help us with recruiting monteverde players now that we have enough stature to start getting after the level of kids in his program?

Reaction Score
I’d assume that from Hurley coaching high school basketball and growing up always around his dad’s St Anthony’s program, he has seen more high school ball than most anyone. There’s that pesky overlap between the college and high school seasons that limits how much high school ball a college coach can watch in season.

Reaction Score
I think they’re coaching their teams during the season and getting to high school games when they can fit it in. Then the recruiting season picks up and they travel the country to see target players, whereas Hurley , when he wasn’t locked in on volleyball, was living high school basketball 365 until he got the Wagner job.
It's not something people typically get into later in life. Most coaches are former players, they've been in gyms since they were little kids and most of them worked their way up like Hurley did. I think there's probably a good amount who are even coaches sons like Hurley is. I know Cronin, Sean Miller, Self, Willard, and Tony Bennett who are contemporaries of Hurley are all coaches sons. The guys who are in their 60's and 70's have seen more just by being older.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It's not something people typically get into later in life. Most coaches are former players, they've been in gyms since they were little kids and most of them worked their way up like Hurley did. I think there's probably a good amount who are even coaches sons like Hurley is. I know Cronin, Sean Miller, Self, Willard, and Tony Bennett who are contemporaries of Hurley are all coaches sons. The guys who are in their 60's and 70's have seen more just by being older.
I think most if not all of those guys spent their pre cbb head coach career as an assistant. Not sure any of those were high school coaches. Oats comes to mind as a coach’s son who coached high school (younger than Hurley though I believe). The point remains, it’s hard to clearly identify anyone (or a max of a couple) who would fit the bill.

Reaction Score
FWIW, college coaches can (and do) see as many high school games as they want. It's the contacting players that have limitations. I'd imagine a rule that said college coaches can only attend X amount of games per year would be challenged and overturned in court before Charlie Baker could sign the paper.
There is a rule that they can't go to games in person during certain periods, but it's not generally during the HS season (and the AAU events generally take place on exception weekends)

Quiet period: During a quiet period, athletes can talk to college coaches in-person on their college campus. However, the coach can’t watch recruits compete in-person, visit their school, talk to them at their home or anywhere outside of the college campus.
  • August 1-September 8, 2022 (except dates listed as dead or contact periods)
  • April 20-July 5, 2023 (except dates listed as quiet, evaluation or contact periods)
  • July 31, 2023

Reaction Score

Looks like a bucket getter from all 3 level. Sign me up.

Everybody needs to forget all the BS arguments about how often coaches go to games and focus on this kid.
What's not to like?
Handles and drives and scores while closely guarded;
Sees the open man and passes out of double and triple teams;
Dunks effortlessly;
Nice form and makes his three's (maybe a little dipping?);
Acts like he's "been there before". No in your face showboating and no whining about getting bumped;
Plays like AJ with a better shot;
Get him now!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Everybody needs to forget all the BS arguments about how often coaches go to games and focus on this kid.
What's not to like?
Handles and drives and scores while closely guarded;
Sees the open man and passes out of double and triple teams;
Dunks effortlessly;
Nice form and makes his three's (maybe a little dipping?);
Acts like he's "been there before". No in your face showboating and no whining about getting bumped;
Plays like AJ with a better shot;
Get him now!
If I was being critical. I would say his playmaking for a ball handling guard needs work, not the most explosive athlete off the dribble, tends to settle for a contested pull up mid range because his angle to the rim gets cut off.

But I’d take a flyer on a local kid with beautiful form at 6’4. Worst case he seems like a guy who can help bring the ball up, and space the floor for more dominant creators. Best case he’s an elite multi year scorer at this level from multiple levels. Why not right?

Reaction Score
May the swarrtz be with us
I opened this thread just to see how long this took.

ezgif-2-a4ad41cf64.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak