August 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

August 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hey Jordy G! What happened to your Gordon Gekko mantra? The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right.
Oh so right. My friend, in basketball greed is my lover...and it's scrumptious.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No I see Brady as a Morgan Tuck and (dare I say it) A' Ja Wilson hybrid. Brady has a decent 3 ball and I expect Geno will play her all over the floor as he did Morgan to create mismatches.
I've said it before, but she is the perfect high to any posts low.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Interesting read. Never knew Shay placed such a high premium on academics. Hopefully @CamrnCrz1974 and @triaddukefan read the article. I'll summarize: Shay Bollin is holding a Stanford offer and was excited to get a call from Kara and now sounds like she is headed to Duke. Duke, welcome back to WCBB .
What in that article makes you or Slu think she is a heavy lean? She is not going to commit until the Spring. You see what happened with Dangerfield and her change of mind after a UConn visit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What in that article makes you or Slu think she is a heavy lean? She is not going to commit until the Spring. You see what happened with Dangerfield and her change of mind after a UConn visit.

I don't recall any evidence of Dangerfield leaning one way or another during her recruitment process. And I always thought she was more likely to end up at UConn than not.

As for Bollin, she and Duke had been on each other's radar prior to them hiring Lawson. These comments about the program and KL--after speaking to Lawson-- sound pretty strong, no?

She has also talked to new Duke coach Kara Lawson, who spent the 2019-20 season as a Celtics assistant coach before taking over the Blue Devils’ job this summer.

“I love Duke,″ said Bollin. “I think she’s awesome. I’ve talked to her a couple of times. I think she’s a really good person, a really good coach. I’m really excited to see what she does at Duke.″

Reaction Score
I think she doesn’t “correct“ him because extending and/or emphasizing the “e” is apparently a common pronunciation she may have heard often and may even consider correct.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't recall any evidence of Dangerfield leaning one way or another during her recruitment process. And I always thought she was more likely to end up at UConn than not.

If you take into account Crystal's account of her recruiting, UConn (Geno) needed to sweep in and convince her at the last minute

Nice focused article in the Athletic where her basketball career / recruiting / WNBA is discussed.

The recruiting is of course of most interest and I do not recall the details being particularly well known. Other stuff includes her maniacal devotion to film study from her earliest days.

“I was all set to (go to UT),” Dangerfield said. “I was always watching Candace and the teams that she was on then. Everywhere I went, people were asking me, ‘Oh, are you going to go to Tennessee?’ That’s what I got when I was growing up.”

Dangerfield was a standout player at Blackman High School in Tennessee. (Davonna Dangerfield)

But by the time she started getting recruited, Summitt had retired and other schools were after Dangerfield. She took three official visits as a junior, to Vanderbilt, Maryland and UConn. During her weekend at Maryland, she nearly committed because of the feeling she got on campus, and if she was going to be leaving Tennessee for the first time in her life, she wanted something that felt like home. But on the advice of her mother, she decided to wait until after her final visit — UConn.

During the visit to Storrs, she felt something that was even more familiar than a home 16 hours from home — the feeling of a raised expectation, sometimes on a minute-by-minute basis from coach Geno Auriemma, for everyone that touched the UConn program. Dangerfield committed.

“He has this vision of what you can be, if you just trust him to build you into the player that he sees you being,” Dangerfield said. “And it’s hard, because most of the players that go there, you’re all that where you come from — you’re All-American, McDonald’s All-American, your Gatorade Player of the Year and all of that. And you get there and they basically strip that away — you’re a freshman. You haven’t earned anything. You haven’t proven anything.”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

As for Bollin, she and Duke had been on each other's radar prior to them hiring Lawson. These comments about the program and KL--after speaking to Lawson-- sound pretty strong, no?

She has also talked to new Duke coach Kara Lawson, who spent the 2019-20 season as a Celtics assistant coach before taking over the Blue Devils’ job this summer.

“I love Duke,″ said Bollin. “I think she’s awesome. I’ve talked to her a couple of times. I think she’s a really good person, a really good coach. I’m really excited to see what she does at Duke.″
Dangerfield chose UConn only after P. Summit died and she had made her mind up to attend another school until her mother convinced her to take a visit to UConn. She chose UConn after her visit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield chose UConn only after P. Summit died and she had made her mind up to attend another school until her mother convinced her to take a visit to UConn. She chose UConn after her visit.

There was never any indication that Dangerfield was highly interested in Tennessee. Pretty sure Vols fans would tell you that as well. Dangerfield had been quoted as saying UConn had been her dream school since she was little. Crystal may have had her choice cemented after visiting Storrs, but I think the notion that UConn wasn't #1 on her list is inaccurate.

Reaction Score

some mention of her recruiting class also

duplicate post sorry Sluconn Husky

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Dangerfield, rated No. 3 in her class, is the first UConn recruit from Tennessee, once the top rival of the program. And although she still had plenty of time to think about it, she chose the Huskies over LSU, Maryland, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi. "

I recall quite vividly the VolNation members were quite upset by the commit, but a couple of them close to the Tenn program said they were never seriously in the running for her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

some mention of her recruiting class also

Yes, some mention indeed. The interviewer and Caroline didn't so much as blink as first he and then she mentioned Azzi (a/k/a she who will not be mention) was a UConn commit! Where would they get that idea?

Toward the end Caroline mention Geno as a big influence in her choice of UConn and she echoed others who went before that it was very impactful how direct and honest Geno was with her. And just at the end she said he is already working with her about her game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"Dangerfield, rated No. 3 in her class, is the first UConn recruit from Tennessee, once the top rival of the program. And although she still had plenty of time to think about it, she chose the Huskies over LSU, Maryland, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi. "

I recall quite vividly the VolNation members were quite upset by the commit, but a couple of them close to the Tenn program said they were never seriously in the running for her.

Was there a reason, she did not even go on an official to South Carolina? For a pg, you would think Dawn Staley would be a good lure?? Instead MD?? Anyway, recruiting is so weird. Thank god Crystal listened to her mother,

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was there a reason, she did not even go on an official to South Carolina? For a pg, you would think Dawn Staley would be a good lure?? Instead MD?? Anyway, recruiting is so weird. Thank god Crystal listened to her mother,
Surprising to me, Dawn at SC has not had much really strong guard play and the strength at SC has been in the paint.

Reaction Score
Surprising to me, Dawn at SC has not had much really strong guard play and the strength at SC has been in the paint.

it’s about even, Wilson and Boston, vs Harris and Mitchell, four all Americans under Dawn.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Zia Cooke may change that, though Dawn will have to take a bit of the dribble out of her game.

Reaction Score
it’s about even, Wilson and Boston, vs Harris and Mitchell, four all Americans under Dawn.

I think Mitchell was one of the more overrated players. She had a tremendous sophomore season, but after that she really didn't put up huge numbers. Over her junior and senior seasons at South Carolina she averaged 14.7pts, 2.9rbs, and 2.7ast. To put things in perspective, in a "down" year last year Christyn Williams put up 14.6pts, 4.9rbs, and 2.3ast. I understand there is a difference between the SEC and the American, but UConn also played an hellacious out of conference schedule last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would've been surprised if she chose SC over UCONN if both needed pg's at the time. UCONN was on a run of several titles back to back. MoJeff transformed into a super pg, while since that moment of time that Dawn took over her team they played more of an old school slow-down basketball. When you are the top pg recruit in the country - there is a good chance you want to run. At the time - Dawn's teams were slower - the physical methodical type of team. That's not that enticing to elite. athletic guards. At that time, Dawn's reputation shouldn't have been enough vs what UCONN was doing.

Reaction Score
Yes, some mention indeed. The interviewer and Caroline didn't so much as blink as first he and then she mentioned Azzi (a/k/a she who will not be mention) was a UConn commit! Where would they get that idea?

Toward the end Caroline mention Geno as a big influence in her choice of UConn and she echoed others who went before that it was very impactful how direct and honest Geno was with her. And just at the end she said he is already working with her about her game.
I liked her response when asked about her great individual statistics, it was all team, team, team!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another Caroline Ducharme interview, this time audio only, 32 minutes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads