OT: - Ashton Hagans Commits to Kentucky, will attempt to reclass | The Boneyard

OT: Ashton Hagans Commits to Kentucky, will attempt to reclass

Reaction Score

Takes them out of the Lecque sweepstakes. Always welcomed.

I’m not sure what UK can expect from Hagans this year. Unlike Lecque, he didn’t score much or efficiently last summer against 2018 players. Not a great shooter either. Luckily for them, Green should be a monster this year and they’ll also have Quickley on the roster.

Calipari is probably a little worried with their guard situation. Tyler Herro is a 5*, but he averaged 14 PPG on 39% FG in the EYBL with 3.4 TO/game. Not a 5* in my book. Keldon Johnson can play the 2 a bit but really is more of an undersized 4 as he has basically no perimeter game. It’ll be interesting to see how their guard play is next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing how there are still top players every year willing to drink this guy's Kool-Aid, despite the mountain of evidence that:

1. He does not help young men develop their talents. Look at our boy Hami Diallo as Exhibit #1. He is the same player he was a year and a half ago. His athleticism is NBA-class elite, and he dominates at different points in games... only to follow that up with longggg stretches where he is flat out MIA.
- I do note that he most likely would not have developed much if at all here under KO over the last year and a half, either. But he certainly had a plethora of other options available.
2. As much as he flaps his gums about how he cares for his players, the truth is that John Calipari is about John Calipari, first and foremost... and everyone else is a distant 2nd.
"You develop while playing for me, I will highlight (and exploit) it every chance I get. If you do not, I will act like you do not exist."
3. He just is not a very good in-game coach. So many examples, with their most recent loss to Kansas State - Kansas State, seriously? - in this year's tournament just the latest proof. I watched that game, and he just got flat out out-coached by Bruce Webber despite the almost comically horrible officiating job that had K-State's big men in foul trouble for about the last 30 minutes of the game. 30 fouls called (vs. 21 for Kentucky)? At times felt like I was watching that UConn-Cinci AAC tournament game from a year ago.

Better options are available for these top level recruits to develop their games, and yet they flock to this guy like moths to a flame. Sad.

Reaction Score
Amazing how there are still top players every year willing to drink this guy's Kool-Aid, despite the mountain of evidence that:

1. He does not help young men develop their talents. Look at our boy Hami Diallo as Exhibit #1. He is the same player he was a year and a half ago. His athleticism is NBA-class elite, and he dominates at different points in games... only to follow that up with longggg stretches where he is flat out MIA.
- I do note that he most likely would not have developed much if at all here under KO over the last year and a half, either. But he certainly had a plethora of other options available.
2. As much as he flaps his gums about how he cares for his players, the truth is that John Calipari is about John Calipari, first and foremost... and everyone else is a distant 2nd.
"You develop while playing for me, I will highlight (and exploit) it every chance I get. If you do not, I will act like you do not exist."
3. He just is not a very good in-game coach. So many examples, with their most recent loss to Kansas State - Kansas State, seriously? - in this year's tournament just the latest proof. I watched that game, and he just got flat out out-coached by Bruce Webber despite the almost comically horrible officiating job that had K-State's big men in foul trouble for about the last 30 minutes of the game. 30 fouls called (vs. 21 for Kentucky)? At times felt like I was watching that UConn-Cinci AAC tournament game from a year ago.

Better options are available for these top level recruits to develop their games, and yet they flock to this guy like moths to a flame. Sad.
Or in the 2014 NC game when he said he told his guys not to foul at the end of the game because UConn makes all of our free throws anyways. That was coaching MAL-practice. It cost them any chance to win the game

Reaction Score
Skal, the Harrison Twins, dakari Johnson, etc. the list goes on if top 10 kids going nowhere.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Maybe because he is good at what he sells them....

polycom

Reaction Score
I think you mean what he pays them...

The argument that Coach Cal is a bad coach is a silly one. Everyone pays so it's a moot point.

Reaction Score

1. He does not help young men develop their talents.
2. John Calipari is about John Calipari, first and foremost... and everyone else is a distant 2nd.
3. He just is not a very good in-game coach.
If I agree that all four of your assertions are valid, I can still avoid being amazed by the talent he gets because there is a very good reason, aside from what you have listed, for them to go there:

Exposure.

It's that simple. These guys, properly, see UK as THE marquee college program. Simply by being there they get exposure they could not get anywhere - including Duke.
Their goal, generally, is to make the NBA. "Work on their game" or "win the NC" or "have a coach that puts me first" are not necessarily their goals, which you assume.

It's not sad, to me. These kids revel in the glory at being at Kentucky. More than they would, it would seem, being top dog at some lesser school. It's a two way street and Calipari and the kids all know the deal. How could they not? It's plain to see.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It's amazing how people believe the Kool-Aid is Calimari and not World Wide.

polycom

Reaction Score
It's amazing how people believe the Kool-Aid is Calimari and not World Wide.

World Wide Wes is why Drake is a UK fan not because of basketball. This guy understands basketball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
he basically forces out kids who were 5 stars but not ready to be one-and-dones for his next crop of 5 stars. same thing is happening at duke now.

I got a new drill press.

ryglag10.jpg

Reaction Score
Skal, the Harrison Twins, dakari Johnson, etc. the list goes on if top 10 kids going nowhere.
Even top 10 players have fail rates, especially when you were really only a top 30 guy who got bumped because you committed to Kentucky or Duke.

Look at Sacha Killeya-Jones. He was basically a top 75 kid originally. He had a really good event in the spring, got a Kentucky offer, and the next thing you know he’s a 5 star Kentucky lean. It was a bump he clearly didn’t fully deserve, and his play in college has demonstrated that.

Reaction Score

While I agree with you, his kids get nba looks and they get drafted. After that it’s up to them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Staff wants to get him to visit ASAP and preferably before AAU gets hectic and other coaches try to get in his ear. Still hearing the same good things on this front in terms of likelihood.
Would it be 2018 or 2019?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He gets guys drafted. The hype train is all they need.

There's the story Malik Monk told about Cal calling him, Adebayo, and Fox to his office immediately after their tournament loss. All together. Monk said, "he basically kicked us off the team". Cal said he needed to make room for the new guys.

Reaction Score

Takes them out of the Lecque sweepstakes. Always welcomed.

I’m not sure what UK can expect from Hagans this year. Unlike Lecque, he didn’t score much or efficiently last summer against 2018 players. Not a great shooter either. Luckily for them, Green should be a monster this year and they’ll also have Quickley on the roster.

Calipari is probably a little worried with their guard situation. Tyler Herro is a 5*, but he averaged 14 PPG on 39% FG in the EYBL with 3.4 TO/game. Not a 5* in my book. Keldon Johnson can play the 2 a bit but really is more of an undersized 4 as he has basically no perimeter game. It’ll be interesting to see how their guard play is next year.

Keldon Johnson has perimeter game. Definitely not a four. He played the 3 in high school.

Herro is a shooter he’s sligghtly over rated.

Why would Hagans want to get there early with quickley and green already on roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom