Ashlynn article | The Boneyard

Ashlynn article

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"You can always tell by how much I play someone how much I trust them," Auriemma said. "Ash plays a lot, she hardly comes out. Now maybe that's not a good thing. I don't want her to get tired. But I trust her because she trusts herself. People who know, 'This is what I am. This is what I do. This is what I'm good at and I'm going to do that as much as I can,' I can trust those guys. The guys who don't know what the heck they're doing, it's hard to trust them. They just don't know. So I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and trust in her.

"It's like when Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was a freshman and played 31 minutes per game, the most on the team. Why? Because I thought there'd be a three-minute stretch she would make five 3-pointers and blow the game open. I feel the same way about Ash.
"

There’s also some compliments from fellow Hoosier, Kelly Faris

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So what is the on-the-court comparison between Ashlynn Shade and Kelly Faris (who also got a lot of minutes as a freshman, though fewer than Ash)?

Ashlynn is a far better shooter as a freshman than Kelly was. Kelly saw her offensive contribution as mainly through assists, since she was awed by the scorers on that team, who included Tina, Maya, and Tiffany Hayes.

Kelly took pride in her defense, and probably had more defensive skills as a freshman than Ash does. She was not shy about going for steals. She also had more athletic skills than Ashlynn -- Kelly could run faster and jump higher than Ashlynn (I think).

Kelly as a freshman was probably more comparable to Nika than to Ashlynn. All three of them (Kelly, Nika, and Ashlynn) had an exceptional level of fitness and stamina as freshmen, and could therefore play major minutes.

Of the three, I think Ashlynn has the highest ceiling because of her shooting skill. I think she can be a mid-first-round WNBA draft choice in 2027.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn just has that quiet confidence about herself out there and for Coach G to that about Ashlynn, speaks volumes about her and her skill set. I am looking forward to watching her game and leadership grow. Ashlynn is going to do great things over the next three years. Heck, she is doing great things now!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just me or is there a lot of similarity between Ashlynn Shade's and Alex Karaban's shooting form?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The point of comparing Ash and Kelly is a total mystery to me. If Ash were to grow like Kelly she'd stop shooting maybe midmonth. I suppose it was Kelly's American Gothic father and coach who drilled into her that points don't matter. I love our Kelly as much as the next fan, but if I had a buck for every groan I uttered as Kelly passed up the perfect shot I would be at my place in Tahiti now. Ash never met a shot she didn't like and that attitude is working out just fine.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don’t think you are remembering Kelly correctly. She was one of UConn’s best athletes and probably deserves a spot on UConn’s all defensive team.

Faris was a good player but not a great athlete at all. Shade is a very good athlete.

Reaction Score
When I think of Kelly, one of my favorites, the phrase "maximum effort" comes to mind -- that "two-black-eyes, blood-&-guts" look. At the ceremony on January 27, she looked exactly the same. Lotsa good memories of her playing days. Not the star, but the heart and soul of those teams. As a kid, I rooted for Mickey, Yogi and Whitey, but my favorite player on those teams was Hank Bauer, the ex-WW2-Marine who played a similar role.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Kelly's family in the Nat'l Championship as time ran down. Her mother and sister animated, her father stone faced. Playing for that guy must have been a dream.

Reaction Score
Kelly is one of my all time favorites! I will always remember late in the second half of the UConn/ND semifinal (2013) where she got two consecutive offensive rebounds which set up FTs by Stef. That was pure heart AND athletic ability. Not to mention, very deflating for ND.
Immediately afterward, the camera pans to Kelly lining up for the rebound and she isn’t even breathing hard. I think we overlook just how conditioned these players are at this level and Kelly was quite the athlete.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kelly proved her athleticism in her junior year, when she had to play the 4 next to Stef because UConn didn't have any other bigs whom Geno trusted (even though Kiah Stokes was on the roster). Her role on defense was similar to Paige's defensive role this year as a "quintessential power forward". She had to guard bigger opponents routinely, including blocking their shots, boxing them out, and leaping over them for rebounds.

Her performance in that role was good enough to get UConn to the Final Four. But I bet that she was happier than anyone to have Stewie arrive in Kelly's senior year to take over the 4 position and allow Kelly to play in the backcourt.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Is this comment a joke? You can watch her highlights and actually say she was not a great athlete “at all”? She was also a volleyball and track star in high school. Was able to attack the rim and rebound extremely well for her size.

A great one? No, I stand by that entirely. Faris was a smart player, a hard-nosed player, a cerebral player, a tough player; made herself a quality shooter by her last year. But if we're talking about athleticism, I would say average at best at the college level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Shade has long been known for her athleticism.

Shade has always been athletic enough to pursue just about any sport she wanted to. In sixth grade, her mile time in the track meet would have finished in the top 15 at the state high school meet.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma on Ashlynn Shade:

"When I talk about getting tougher, getting physically tougher, and getting more athletic, I don't think there's anyone like Ashlynn who's physically tougher and who's that athletic and has that kind of midrange and is that competitive defensively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr