April Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we have any concrete information about Williams and Watkins as far as UConn recruiting them goes? I feel like their recruitment has been very quiet, especially Watkins.
Only concrete information on either player is that Geno visited with Williams at the start of the HS season.

Reaction Score
Yea she is noticeably thicker than last summer and closer to @BobbyJ vision of her being a wing player. Last summer i was thinking along the lines of a 1-2 combo guard in the mold of Sabrina Ionescu for a ceiling and Kia Nurse for a floor.
After watching her a couple of times in game action I came up with a comp in my mind. Thinking back to her AAU and USA BB play it was Haley Jones. Same size, court vision, and ball handling and passing, a true wing/point forward. Except Olson is a much better shooter already and getting better. If she goes with the right college program with a coach smart enough to utilize all her skills, by her sophomore year she'll potentially be a POY candidate.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
These all-star things always tend to be disappointing, but here's the link for the Jordan Brand game anyway. It starts about 5 central.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Jordan brand game has started. One thing that just sticks out about Ayanna is she can go get it. She can clearly rebound.
She has a lot of work to do on her outside shot though.

Reaction Score
She has a lot of work to do on her outside shot though.
I've been trying not to say it but I have to agree. I've seen her play 5-6 times now though and her defense and rebounding ability are impressing me more. Especially her rebounding. She's pretty quick and strong and she can get up in the air. If she could just be a Victaria Saxton type that would be a huge plus. If anything she's faster and able to jump higher, just as strong. Ayanna cleans up the boards fairly well and can finish under the hoop. The outside shot really isn't there much at all. I'm talking as a non post player. We shouldn't put her in the post much at all. I'm not seeing any post moves.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've been trying not to say it but I have to agree. I've seen her play 5-6 times now though and her defense and rebounding ability are impressing me more. Especially her rebounding. She's pretty quick and strong and she can get up in the air. If she could just be a Victaria Saxton type that would be a huge plus.

Patterson has far more skill than Saxton.

As far as shooting, let's not put a lot on an exhibition game. If you saw Christyn Williams play the McDonald's AA game as as senior you might have got the notion she was going to be a 40%+ 3-pt shooter.

Reaction Score
Is it me or is Ice a little taller than Oldacre who is listed at 6'5". Ice is a solid 6'3" and maybe more in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Ice has a far better handle than Saxton. Absolutely could go beyond Saxton potentially.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ice is efficient. I'm happy with both players. They are sometimes getting more reps against top competition now than some of them have seen for the most part. They are improving.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Max Preps' sophomore all-american teams littered with UConn players of interest:

1st Team:

MAXPREPS NATIONAL SOPHOMORE OF THE YEAR
Jaloni Cambridge, Ensworth (Nashville, Tenn.)
5-6 | Guard | Uncommitted

The driving force for the No. 24 team in the country, averaging 17.3 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.8 steals and 3.1 assists a game. As if that weren't enough for the Division II Class AA champions, she also had a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio and made 34 percent of her 3-pointers.

Joyce Edwards, Camden (S.C.)
6-1 | Forward | Uncommitted

Points? 24 a game. Rebounds? 11.9. You expect those from a forward, but Edwards also added 106 steals and had a 1.6 assist/turnover ratio for a 21-win team.

Olivia Olson, Benilde-St. Margaret's (St. Louis Park, Minn.)
6-0 | Guard | Uncommitted

Not only did Olson average a double-double — 22.8 points and 10.0 rebounds — she's already represented the USA and is ranked No. 3 in the Class of 2024 by ESPN HoopGurlz.

Britt Prince, Elkhorn North (Elkhorn, Neb.)
5-11 | Point guard | Uncommitted

The Wolves went 26-1 and won the Class B title as Prince averaged 24.1 points, 7.0 rebounds, 4.4 steals and 4.3 assists a game. She also hit 40.4 percent of her 3-pointers and 83.7 percent of her free throws.

Sarah Strong, Grace Christian (Sanford, N.C.)
6-2 | Forward | Uncommitted

Strong led the Crusaders to a 29-1 record and a 1A state title by averaging 25.5 points and 17.6 rebounds a game, hitting 42 percent of her 3-point attempts and having a 2.3 assist/turnover ratio.

2nd Team:

Imari Berry, Clarksville (Tenn.)
5-10 | Guard | Uncommitted

Berry did it all for the Wildcats, from points (24.6 a game) to rebounds (7.5) to steals (3.9) to assists (.25) and even blocked shots (1.6).

Liv McGill, Hopkins (Minnetonka, Minn.)
5-10 | Guard |Uncommitted

Surrounded by Power 5 talent on the No. 6 team in the MaxPreps Top 25, McGill's numbers did not reflect her talent. But her 2.0 assist/turnover ratio and 47.2. percent 3-point shooting were instrumental in the Royals' 26-1 record and state title.

Kennedy Smith, Etiwanda (Calif.)
6-1 | Power forward | Uncommitted

Just one of the legion of talented Eagles, Smith averaged 19.1 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.2 steals, 2.2 assists and 2.1 blocks for the No. 5 team in the country.

3rd Team:

Zamareya Jones, North Pitt (Bethel, N.C.)
5-6 | Guard | Uncommitted

She averaged 24.3 points, 5.7 assists and 4.3 steals a game for the Panthers, while hitting 61 percent of her shots.

Jordan Lee, St. Mary's (Stockton, Calif.)
5-11 | Guard | Uncommitted

Carried the load for one of Northern California's top teams, scoring 18.1 points a game and adding 7.0 rebounds.

Honorable Mention:

Katie Fiso, Garfield (Seattle)
5-11 | Guard | Uncommitted

The Bulldogs were unbeaten, a state champ and finished No. 21 in the MaxPreps Top 25, thanks in great part to Fiso's 22.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.3 assists per game.

Kate Koval, Long Island Lutheran (Brookville, N.Y.)
6-5 | Center | Uncommitted

Averaged 18.7 points and 12.0 rebounds a game for the Crusaders, whose difficult schedule made her 55 percent shooting even more impressive.

Harper Peterson, Whitney (Rocklin, Calif.)
6-3 | Forward | Uncommitted

Her all-around skills were tested every night by the Wildcats' tough schedule, but she still managed 14.1 points and 9.5 rebounds a game.

MacKenly Randolph, Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, Calif.)
6-0 | Forward | Uncommitted

She averaged 15 points and 11.7 rebounds for the Trailblazers, who won the California Open Division championship and finished No. 3 in the national rankings.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Max Preps junior all-american teams include Shade and Arnold.

1st Team:

Breya Cunningham, La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla, Calif.)
6-4 | Center | Uncommitted

Her inside presence was the starting point for the No. 9 Torreys, and she averaged 18.4 points and 11.9 rebounds for the season. La Jolla Country Day will be formidable again as Cunningham and all the key players return next season.

MAXPREPS NATIONAL JUNIOR OF THE YEAR
Juju Watkins, Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, Calif.)
6-0 | Junior | Wing | Uncommitted

The best player in the country is just a junior, and though it seems almost impossible, Watkins' statistics — 25.0 points, 10.6 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.7 steals and 1.9 blocks a game — could be even better next year.

Mikaylah Williams, Parkway (Bossier City, La.)
6-0 | Wing | Uncommitted

One of the greatest players to come out of the Bayou State was a 6-0 wing named Seimone Augustus — and that's exactly who Williams is being compared to. She averaged 22.8 points and 8.4 rebounds a game for the 34-3 Panthers.

2nd Team

Kamorea Arnold, Germantown (Wis.)
5-6 | Point guard | UConn

She did it all for the 23-6 Warhawks, averaging 24.8 points, 7.8 rebounds, 7.4 assists and 4.5 steals a game — and Geno Auriemma noticed.

Chloe Kitts, DME Academy (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
6-2 | Forward | Uncommitted

Long and athletic, Kitts averaged 18.7 points and 8.2 rebounds a game for the No. 14 team in the country.

Ashlynn Shade, Noblesville (Ind.)
5-9 | Wing | UConn

Shade shined for the Millers — who won the 4A state title — with 20.9 points, 8.3 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game.

Honorable Mention:

Chloe Clardy, Conway (Ark.)
5-9 | Guard | Uncommitted

With a mascot like the Wampus Cats, Conway will always be cool, but with a player like Clardy — 25.2 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.5 assists a game — they're really good in basketball too.

Hannah Hidalgo, Paul VI (Haddonfield, N.J.)
5-6 | Point guard | Uncommitted

Though the Eagles went 24-4 in competitive New Jersey, some overlooked Hidalgo and her 25.4 points and 4.0 assists per game. We didn't.

Sahara Williams, Waterloo West (Waterloo, Iowa)
5-11 | Forward | Uncommitted

Led the Warhawks to a 23-3 record by scoring 19.7 points a game and adding 7.5 rebounds.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Patterson has far more skill than Saxton.

As far as shooting, let's not put a lot on an exhibition game. If you saw Christyn Williams play the McDonald's AA game as as senior you might have got the notion she was going to be a 40%+ 3-pt shooter.
I've watched a few of her highlights and in none of them is a consistent outside shot apparent. Shooters shoot, and at some point that outside shot would be apparent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Patterson will get most her points as a clean up rebounder. Hopefully her strength translates in college …

Reaction Score
I agree that Patterson would be a lot more valuable to us if she focused on rebounding and defense and deferred on the outside shots. I would encourage her to keep working on her shooting but in games right now she would hurt the team every time she shoots from more than 10 feet out. That can change over time with work but right now if she focuses on rebounding and defense she can really help us.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've watched a few of her highlights and in none of them is a consistent outside shot apparent. Shooters shoot, and at some point that outside shot would be apparent.

I certainly wouldn't call Patterson a "shooter" but she has really nice form on her shot and the potential is there. Geno commented on this last year. I'll see if I can find his quote.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't call Patterson a "shooter" but she has really nice form on her shot and the potential is there. Geno commented on this last year. I'll see if I can find his quote.
I've seen the quote and I've seen her shot. Yes, her form is good, though not great. Yet I've seen shooters with good form that never became good shooters. Hopefully Ayanna becomes the latter, but, again, that's going to take work. What's also going to take work is learning to work and shoot off of the myriad screens Geno runs.

Reaction Score
Yes, her form is fine. But no one has explained the theory of arc to her yet. Maybe Bueckers or Fudd can take care of that. ;)

Reaction Score
Louisville fans are optimistic that Kitts is a future Cardinal. She fits the Engstler mold for sure. That'd be a big get. Don't know her decision timetable though.

Reaction Score
Ice, on the other hand, seems to show over and over that she can shoot from outside. That's our passing post player. Ayanna is our Victaria Saxton. There is a lot to rebounding and Ayanna has all the components, including the engine. She and SC's Watkins are going to have epic battles. I love her strength, her jumping ability and her work rate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I've seen the quote and I've seen her shot. Yes, her form is good, though not great. Yet I've seen shooters with good form that never became good shooters. Hopefully Ayanna becomes the latter, but, again, that's going to take work. What's also going to take work is learning to work and shoot off of the myriad screens Geno runs.
AP will be the "Rock" to AE's "Hard Place" on defense as well as setting devastating screens. I was extremely impressed with Patterson's work around the basket in her team's run to the Gold Medal in the U18 3X3 last summer in Hungary [coached by our favorite Duke women's BB coach, Kara Lawson].

It would seem that the "Team Canada" Olympic experience messed with AE's "head space" and her confidence for the season as the Canadian coaching staff tried to turn her into a wing. It took UCONN's coaching staff most of the season to restore her to her natural game, and restore AE's confidence just in time for the tournament [Paige returning may have been part of that as well].

Hopefully, ALL of the UCONN front court will start the season with their best level of confidence they had at the start and during the Stanford game, {High School tournament time for Ice & AP} and build UP from there. I am also praying for Ice and AP to embrace the process and rapidly build their confidence to be a positive impact very early in the season, and the entire team to stay healthy for the entire year as they head to NC #12, and counting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom