AP Preseason Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Preseason Top 25

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Neither scoring offense or scoring defense necessarily relate to how good a team is. A “high octane” offense like Iowa will typically be involved in a high scoring game by virtue of how quickly they get shots up on offense, giving their opponents more offensive possessions.

Scoring margin tends to be a more useful statistic relative to just how good a team is. Last season SC was #1. UConn was tied for #3, followed by NC St. Iowa was #17.

Also, interestingly, Iowa lost to Creighton at home because their offense failed them, not their defense (and they got dominated on the boards). Creighton only shot 36%FG, 29% 3-pt FG, and had 14 turnovers to Iowa's 6. But Iowa shot even worse. Clark had 11 assists to just one turnover, but went 4-19 from the field.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
#21 Creighton kicks off its season at #22 South Dakota State on Nov 7. I hope I can watch that game online. Creighton hosts #22 Nebraska on 11/15, hosts Arkansas on 12/17 and plays at Stanford on 12/20.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
#21 Creighton kicks off its season at #22 South Dakota State on Nov 7. I hope I can watch that game online. Creighton hosts #22 Nebraska on 11/15, hosts Arkansas on 12/17 and plays at Stanford on 12/20.
2-3 years ago most of the Summit games were available on ESPN3. They were on a pay system last year, probably ESPN+. The Jacks split with Creighton the past two years. They play Mississippi State a few days later, then in December they're at South Carolina on ESPN2. They've put together a really tough OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
What a farce! Iowa! To beat UConn you are going to need to at least pretend to play defense. I understand this poll is basically meaningless but you would think they would make some effort to avoid embarrassing themselves! I find Tennessee at number 5 to be somewhat suspect as well, but Iowa is just ridiculous. Should Texas be above us? At least that is debatable. I can’t wait for he season to start so we can return to a more sane world with UConn in its rightful top 3 (no disrespect to Texas) position!

Reaction Score
I think the pollsters are more focused on what we lost than what we have. We'll find out soon.
Agree. I saw a ranking on The Next that had UConn at #19 preseason. They focused on the loss of Williams, etc and didn’t even mention Ducharme. They barely mentioned Azzi. And, among others, had Ohio St ahead of us.

Reaction Score
UConn will definitely play the following teams in the Top 25 during the regular season:

South Carolina
Texas
Tennessee
Notre Dame
NC State
Maryland
Creighton x2
Princeton

UConn will play Iowa out in Oregon if they defeat Duke and Iowa defeats Oregon state in the 1st round of the PK tournament.
I don't understand why DUKE was one of the teams listed as " also achieving
votes ". I would have placed them , at least, 10 -15 slots higher. Does
anyone have any insight as to the reason for so few votes received? Or , is
it just " too soon" to rate them higher until they proved themselve??

Reaction Score
I think that Creighton may lose a number of those games but will come back strong in
the BIG EAST and earns a NCAA bid. I think that the BLUEJAYS' # 2 ranking in
the BIG EAST pre season is justified. Creighton "Coach Jim" just needs one or two
BIGS to really "seal the deal" and show that they can contend in the NCAA every year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think the pollsters are more focused on what we lost than what we have. We'll find out soon.
UConn has a lot more questions than answers to start the season--which happens when you lose 4/6 leading scorers due to injury/graduation. Other teams have more "known" talent.

How all the pieces fit together...we'll see soon.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn has a lot more questions than answers to start the season--which happens when you lose 4/6 leading scorers due to injury/graduation. Other teams have more "known" talent.

How all the pieces fit together...we'll see soon.
Texas also lost 4/6 leading scorers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn comes in at #6.
GIF by ABC Network

Reaction Score
Texas also lost 4/6 leading scorers.
I expect Texas to be excellent but I will be intrigued to see how all these teams come together this year who relied so heavily on the portal to build their perspective teams for this season. Lots of talent, how it all comes together chemistry wise should be fun to watch for many.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I expect Texas to be excellent but I will be intrigued to see how all these teams come together this year who relied so heavily on the portal to build their perspective teams for this season. Lots of talent, how it all comes together chemistry wise should be fun to watch for many.
Just to be clear, there is nothing fun about watching a Vic Schaefer coached team. Now, unlike Stanford's coach, I'm not going to compare it to watching football or rugby, but it is most decidedly not fun.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, there is nothing fun about watching a Vic Schaefer coached team. Now, unlike Stanford's coach, I'm not going to compare it to watching football or rugby, but it is most decidedly not fun.
Vic is a great coach but yes the way they play defense is like a game of Rugby at times. South Carolina has a elite defense and even they don't even breach that level of roughness.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Agree. I saw a ranking on The Next that had UConn at #19 preseason. They focused on the loss of Williams, etc and didn’t even mention Ducharme. They barely mentioned Azzi. And, among others, had Ohio St ahead of us.
The Next actually charges a subscription for that. I'm not a subscriber but someone shared a snippet or 2. I felt like the debate moderator from the movie Billy Madison.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Vic is a great coach but yes the way they play defense is like a game of Rugby at times. South Carolina has a elite defense and even they don't even breach that level of roughness.
His offense is not exactly a joy to watch either.

Reaction Score
How easily we can swap "Texas" with "Tennessee" and it still make sense LOL

Reaction Score
Keep repeating my post of 4 weeks ago. On Dec.12th a Monday, U Conn will have played Texas, N.C.State, Notre Dame, Princeton and Maryland all ranked. Mondays are poll days and U Conn should be ranked firmly at #2 at that time. Also stated that Tennessee in Knoxville will be as tough a matchup in January, as S.C. in February at home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I agree in general. but there was a notable exception. The "Piranhas on a Roast" game was one of the most fun games I've ever seen!

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling that Iowa is going to be a tough team to beat this year!
After how lousy they were on defense last year, shame on them if they don't spend a lot of practice time on their defense!
They have the talent to be very good on both sides of the ball but seems previously they emphasized offense and barely worked on their defense!
Time will tell!

Reaction Score
The Next actually charges a subscription for that. I'm not a subscriber but someone shared a snippet or 2. I felt like the debate moderator from the movie Billy Madison.
I don’t pay anything for what I get. And the WNBA stuff is pretty good. But at the college level they definitely seem to be “anti UConn”. Not just bc they put us at #19. Last year their articles would consistently downplay UConn’s talents. No idea what that’s all about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom