AP Poll - Week 17 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Nice bump up to 12 in the VERY prestigious r/cbb user poll

This poll was too soft on Miami's loss to FSU, but at least it was pretty harsh on Virginia's week. That team has no right being ranked in the Top 15 based on actual performance OR advanced metrics...

Reaction Score
This poll was too soft on Miami's loss to FSU, but at least it was pretty harsh on Virginia's week. That team has no right being ranked in the Top 15 based on actual performance OR advanced metrics...
UVA's last 4 games
3 pt win @Louisville (4-25 record) (308 NET)
2 pt win vs Notre Dame (10-19) (190)
15 pt loss @BC (14-15) (165)
8 pt loss @UNC (18-11) (47)

Reaction Score
How does getting seeded into MSG work for the NCAA tourney? Is it completely random?
They go down the s-curve ("true seed list") in order, placing teams by geography in each seedline. After each seedline, they will go back and adjust if the balance is too far out of whack relative to the s-curve (ie top 2 is in the #1 overall bracket).

They also will put the first 4 teams from each conference in a different regional where possible (and then from there on opposite sides of the same regional by bumping up or down a seedline as necessary).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They go down the s-curve ("true seed list") in order, placing teams by geography in each seedline. After each seedline, they will go back and adjust if the balance is too far out of whack relative to the s-curve (ie top 2 is in the #1 overall bracket).

They also will put the first 4 teams from each conference in a different regional where possible (and then from there on opposite sides of the same regional by bumping up or down a seedline as necessary).
So do we need to be either #5 or #9 overall to be in the east?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL Dick Vitale had Duke at 17, because, of course. Love DickieV and at this point I give him a pass..................he's an institution (20 years ago he belonged in an institution)

I admire his naked embracing of what we've all known for Decades. He has a stiffy for Duke.

Reaction Score
So do we need to be either #5 or #9 overall to be in the east?
Number 9 overall (top 3 seed) is our best semi-realistic scenario to land in the East.

Even still, I’m not sure we can get that high on the committee’s s-curve.

Reaction Score
It's more that we need to be the closest team to the east of our seed group. Which is oversimplifying it a bit, but that's the general idea
Most of the teams in the top 16 aren’t really eastern teams so that’s good right?

Reaction Score
Most of the teams in the top 16 aren’t really eastern teams so that’s good right?
Right. I think for getting MSG our main goal should be finishing above Virginia (or finishing a full seed behind). It was a good week in that regard. But Bracket Matrix has us right next to each other currently.

Reaction Score
It's more that we need to be the closest team to the east of our seed group. Which is oversimplifying it a bit, but that's the general idea
Problem is (as I’m sure you’re aware), another key bracket principle besides geography is breaking up teams from the same conference on the top 4 seed lines.

So if we’re, say, 11 on the s-curve with K-State and Baylor in front of us on the 3 line, with Kansas already the 1 in Vegas and Texas the 2 in Louisville, then one of K-State or Baylor would likely wind up the 3 in NYC (with the other in KC, of course).

That’s why I think we really need to get to 9 in the s-curve, if possible, to virtually ensure MSG. (E) and even then it might not be enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah definitely a good thing. The biggest hindrance in my (uneducated) opinion is going to be something like 2 Big 12 teams like Texas and Baylor both ending up on the 2 line, and them needing to shift one out East because of matchups. So we end up in a different bracket as the worst 2 instead of the top 3 in the East

Reaction Score
Problem is (as I’m sure you’re aware), another key bracket principle besides geography is breaking up teams from the same conference on the top 4 seed lines.

So if we’re, say, 11 on the s-curve with K-State and Baylor in front of us on the 3 line, with Kansas already the 1 in Vegas and Texas the 2 in Louisville, then one of K-State or Baylor would likely wind up the 3 in NYC (with the other in KC, of course).

That’s why I think we really need to get to 9 in the s-curve, if possible, to virtually ensure MSG. (E) and even then it might not be enough.
I agree. Hopefully the upside to our ranking being so fluid is that the committee could justify almost any seed between 2-5 (and s-curve placement) to keep us in the East and MSG. I remember how important MSG was in 2014 vs Michigan State, and really want to be in that building again.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Can someone post the spread showing where each voter put us or tell me where you find that ?

Reaction Score
I agree. Hopefully the upside to our ranking being so fluid is that the committee could justify almost any seed between 2-5 (and s-curve placement) to keep us in the East and MSG. I remember how important MSG was in 2014 vs Michigan State, and really want to be in that building again.
I agree. I’ve done my own bracket projections every two weeks since the new year and I’ve had no trouble placing UConn in the East as a 4. Should be even easier now if we’re on that line and behind the top four XII teams instead of competing with them for regional placement (I’d think we should be well in front of IA State and TCU by now, but who knows).

The problem there is one I’ve seen mentioned a few times on the board, but one I’m frankly not sure what to think of (in either direction): would the committee risk having a top seed, let’s say Purdue, have to play a road game against 4-seed UConn in the S16? I haven’t a clue. It shouldn’t be a consideration. But I haven’t a clue what the committee will think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin