AP Poll - Week 17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think many voters see that UConn is surging and close to its early season form, and will overcorrect with so many top 25 teams losing last week. I believe we slot in at 13.

Reaction Score
Not part of the AP Poll but here it is anyways

i

12. UConn Huskies (22-7)
Previous ranking:
This week: vs. DePaul (Wednesday), at Villanova (Saturday)

UConn is looking much more like the team that ticked off 14 straight wins to start the season -- just in time for its trip to Madison Square Garden for the Big East tournament, where the potential 5-seed might end up as the betting favorite. The Huskies are really clicking on the offensive end right now, coming off a week where they scored 182 points on 141 possessions, grabbing more than 50% of their misses and also shooting 19-for-46 from 3. Andre Jackson Jr. scored a career-high 15 points in two of his last three games, Joey Calcaterra found his shooting stroke against St. John's -- but it's Jordan Hawkins who is this team's offensive catalyst. He's now scored 20 points in three straight games (and four of his last five).

Reaction Score
Not part of the AP Poll but here it is anyways

i

12. UConn Huskies (22-7)
Previous ranking:
This week: vs. DePaul (Wednesday), at Villanova (Saturday)

UConn is looking much more like the team that ticked off 14 straight wins to start the season -- just in time for its trip to Madison Square Garden for the Big East tournament, where the potential 5-seed might end up as the betting favorite. The Huskies are really clicking on the offensive end right now, coming off a week where they scored 182 points on 141 possessions, grabbing more than 50% of their misses and also shooting 19-for-46 from 3. Andre Jackson Jr. scored a career-high 15 points in two of his last three games, Joey Calcaterra found his shooting stroke against St. John's -- but it's Jordan Hawkins who is this team's offensive catalyst. He's now scored 20 points in three straight games (and four of his last five).

True, but I think Borzello - who puts the ESPN power rankings together - is an AP voter. Good sign of where he places UConn on his ballot.

Reaction Score
#14, but note that after #11 there's a huge drop, then #12-15 are all within 40 points of each other.

Other notes:
- ISU and Creighton falling out the rankings is pretty bad for our resume, though Marquette up to #6 is a another top 10 signature win

Reaction Score
Yes, that's another takeaway. I would consider the top 11 teams fairly securely occupying the top 3 seed lines, with the last #3 and the #4s among the next handful for now.
Agreed. If we can win both games this week, I think we are a 4, no matter what happens in the BET. We are going to play a solid team in that 4/5 game. Don't think it would be considered a bad loss.

If we lose @Nova, a win in the BET win would go a long way to getting that 4. 3 seed takes 3-4 more wins IMO.

FWIW...

8 in NET
5 in KenPom
5 in ESPN BPI (their resume feature has the S curve featuring us as the last 3 seed)
6 in Sagarin

I personally think Jerry Palm (CBS) is more accurate than Lunardi. Palm put out his new bracket this morning. We are the top 3 seed on his line.

Lunardi has not put out a new bracket yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only 2 anomalies I see in the poll are that Tennessee (they went 2-5 recently over a 7 game stretch and 1-4 over 5 games) didn't receive the UConn punishment.

And St. Marys, w/ losses to New Mexico, Colorado St and Loyola Marymount, and only 2 decent wins (San Diego St and Gonzaga) is ranked so high with 6 losses.

Reaction Score
Would you rather be a 3 seed in say the Midwest with a potential 2-3 matchup with Texas, or a 4 seed in the East with a 1-4 matchup vs Kansas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom