AP Poll - 1/8 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - 1/8

Reaction Score
9 teams outside the top 25 received more votes than Seton Hall, but I think they'd have been pretty happy if you told them 3 months ago that people would think they're a top 35 team in January.

I won't be surprised if they continue to play well. If they had more shooting, (currently dead last in the BE in 3P%) they'd be really really scary. I think the biggest thing they have going for them is that their compete level is really really high, credit to Holloway. They don't ever play scared and their guards aren't afraid to go at anyone.

Reaction Score
Just shows how disrespected we've been. No wonder we're arrogant, and spoiled.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall, St Johns, Providence got some votes! Although not many..

UNC win looks better by the day, #7
Texas and Gonzaga wins look worse by the day, #25 and #23

BYU dropped 6 spots for losing to the 3rd team out. Colorado St dropped 4 spots for losing to a team that got no votes. Interesting

9-6 Michigan St still receiving votes.

Reaction Score
We're one week away from passing Maryland on the All-Time AP Poll.

It hasn't been updated yet, but we'll be sitting at 6,043.

Description.

We could catch Cinci for #15 this year if we stay near the top of the rankings.

Top 10 is doable in 4 or 5 years if we stay this good. It will be tough to ever go much higher than #9 (Syracuse) because the teams we will be chasing will continue to rack up points.

Reaction Score
Uhhh what is this measuring?

This is the aggregate of every AP poll ever released. If you are ranked 1st, you get 25 points. If you are ranked 2nd, you get 24 points. This file has us with 6,021 but doesn't include the new poll. Since UConn is 4th, we'll get 22 points added to our total once it does update. Teams on this list that aren't currently ranked will remain at their current point total.

Reaction Score
This is the aggregate of every AP poll ever released. If you are ranked 1st, you get 25 points. If you are ranked 2nd, you get 24 points. This file has us with 6,021 but doesn't include the new poll. Since UConn is 4th, we'll get 22 points added to our total once it does update. Teams on this list that aren't currently ranked will remain at their current point total.
What year did the AP Poll begin?

Reaction Score
I found the guy's site and it says he starts from January 18, 1949 and that appears to be just under 1,300 total polls.

Reaction Score
We could catch Cinci for #15 this year if we stay near the top of the rankings.

Top 10 is doable in 4 or 5 years if we stay this good. It will be tough to ever go much higher than #9 (Syracuse) because the teams we will be chasing will continue to rack up points.
This calendar year is possible. Every Top 6 poll is 20+ points, and there are 9 polls left, so we could get 180+ more points. Gets us to a little over 6,220. But also likely we have some loses that drop us down, particularly with the Clingan injury.

Reaction Score
The last team to enter the NCAA Tournament ranked No. 1 and actually win it was Kentucky in 2012. It’s only happened four times since the tourney expanded to 64 teams in 1985.

Reaction Score
Feel like this is the week Houston goes down
Maybe. They sure have a really lofty ranking considering they haven't played anyone yet. Will be interesting to see how far they drop after their first loss or two.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Description.
Interesting. I think you can make a good argument for not awarding 25 points to the number one team from eras that only ranked 20 teams and 10 teams. If you instead only give the top rank team the number of points equal to the total amount of rank teams you don't artificially adding weight to less competitive eras. Connecticut would fair better using this methodology.

I'm not ambitious enough to redo the calculation using this methodology.

Reaction Score

Description.
Neat chart, but if there's an argument against us being a blue blood, it's basically this. The top 5 are the programs you think and then there's a big separation after that. And then we're down in the teens among a bunch of decent but not elite BE/B1G programs. (Yes, I know this is all time, and nobody cares about Cincy's dominance in 1960, but this is the argument.)

Reaction Score

BYU dropped 6 spots for losing to the 3rd team out. Colorado St dropped 4 spots for losing to a team that got no votes. Interesting

I knew the Texas and Gonzaga wins wouldn't carry much water, but I've been pleasantly surprised by UNC. They didn't seem that great when we played them and I thought they'd suffer the same fate. But they look like they have staying power in the top 10 as a true signature win for us.

Reaction Score
Neat chart, but if there's an argument against us being a blue blood, it's basically this. The top 5 are the programs you think and then there's a big separation after that. And then we're down in the teens among a bunch of decent but not elite BE/B1G programs. (Yes, I know this is all time, and nobody cares about Cincy's dominance in 1960, but this is the argument.)
For me the only argument is relative lack of deep tournament runs, and the fact that our history as an elite program is dwarfed by the traditions of winning as some of the programs. I love being 5-1 in the final four, but UNC Duke UCLA UK KU all have at least twice as many final fours, tons of elite eight runs, don’t have tournament appearance droughts for the most part like we have

Reaction Score

Michigan State got one person to vote for them at 19th.....a guy who had them 23rd the week before. So he moved them up four spots after they beat an awful penn state team and got ran out the gym by northwestern.

Reaction Score
Don’t really think polls should matter that much in any argument.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom