AP Poll - 1/8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - 1/8

Reaction Score
Don’t really think polls should matter that much in any argument.
Agreed. Any poll before about halfway through the conference schedule (1/15 ish), is nonsense anyways.
Michigan State was ranked 4th to begin the season weren't they (somewhere around there), and now they have to be in the 50+ range...but by that ranking point system they would get credit/points for all the weeks spent, without merit, in the top 25.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Neat chart, but if there's an argument against us being a blue blood, it's basically this. The top 5 are the programs you think and then there's a big separation after that. And then we're down in the teens among a bunch of decent but not elite BE/B1G programs. (Yes, I know this is all time, and nobody cares about Cincy's dominance in 1960, but this is the argument.)
It’s a plausible argument.

Then again how often is an argument made that Greece is the all time world marathon leader if we include the period when it was the runners who were nude instead of streakers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. I love being 5-1 in the final four, but UNC Duke UCLA UK KU all have at least twice as many final fours, tons of elite eight runs.
And yet no one has had more championships over the last quarter century. I'm not going to apologize for winning when we get there.
Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Reaction Score
Neat chart, but if there's an argument against us being a blue blood, it's basically this. The top 5 are the programs you think and then there's a big separation after that. And then we're down in the teens among a bunch of decent but not elite BE/B1G programs. (Yes, I know this is all time, and nobody cares about Cincy's dominance in 1960, but this is the argument.)
It would be more interesting if they used a start date of 1990 or 2000 where we would rank in the poll.

Reaction Score
Don’t really think polls should matter that much in any argument.
I'm playing devil's advocate here because we absolutely belong among the top 5 based on championship pedigree across multiple decades and coaches, but polls are actually a reasonable measure of a program's relevance year in and year out over a long period. "Who matters in this sport?" is one valid definition of blue blood status.

Reaction Score
It would be more interesting if they used a start date of 1990 or 2000 where we would rank in the poll.
My guess would be higher, but not, like, a ton higher. Probably 8-10 range.

Our argument for blue blood status is based on championships, not on consistency, at least not in the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
We're one week away from passing Maryland on the All-Time AP Poll.

It hasn't been updated yet, but we'll be sitting at 6,043.

Description.

Can’t believe I’ve never seen this before. Really interesting and useful for the whole blue blood discussion

There’s definitely a feedback loop element to this though where anointed schools are given preferential ranking by “extremely smart” pollsters (esp earlier in the season when reputation far outweighs reality)

Still an interesting piece of data nonetheless

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - We need to accept that on a scoring/valuation system such as the one addressed in this thread, we accumulated as many points in aggregate prior to 1990 as many of the schools we want to claim equal status to had in any one of many individual years.

2 - That we basically gave the field a three to four decade head start and achieved what we have warrants a tremendous amount of praise.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Michigan State got one person to vote for them at 19th.....a guy who had them 23rd the week before. So he moved them up four spots after they beat an awful penn state team and got ran out the gym by northwestern.
And the same week when James Madison lost.

Reaction Score
I knew the Texas and Gonzaga wins wouldn't carry much water, but I've been pleasantly surprised by UNC. They didn't seem that great when we played them and I thought they'd suffer the same fate. But they look like they have staying power in the top 10 as a true signature win for us.
Let them get fat and happy chowing down on ACC cupcakes and then stick them in our bracket please…

Reaction Score
When we win, others hang banners.
Are you talking about the All-Time AP Poll thing? Just posting with nothing referring to anything above and I assume you're talking about the first post, us being #4 this week.

caw

Reaction Score
My guess would be higher, but not, like, a ton higher. Probably 8-10 range.

Our argument for blue blood status is based on championships, not on consistency, at least not in the last 10 years.

Prior to the BE destruction, say 1990-2014 range UConn was cyclically consistent. The AAC/Ollie wrecked things for a good two cycles before Hurley could correct things and UConn came back to the BE.

Reaction Score
We're one week away from passing Maryland on the All-Time AP Poll.

It hasn't been updated yet, but we'll be sitting at 6,043.

Description.
Given that there are 3 weeks worth of voting that is "shelved" between the end of the regular season and crowning of the champion (who is always declared #1), the champion should be credited with 3 weeks worth of being #1, retroactively. It is a shame that last year we were #1 for only one week and only at the end. The champion should be rewarded in some way. So with 5 championships, UConn would have 25 points x 3 weeks x 5 championships = 375 more points. Similar reasoning for other champions. Corrections welcome.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm playing devil's advocate here because we absolutely belong among the top 5 based on championship pedigree across multiple decades and coaches, but polls are actually a reasonable measure of a program's relevance year in and year out over a long period. "Who matters in this sport?" is one valid definition of blue blood status.

I agree it’s relevant to the “Blue Blood” question, but to me the real question bearing on whether a team is a Blue Blood isn’t who matters (we do), it’s whether we were on the Mayflower. This chart shows that we’re “new money.” We’ve got lots of it—and, if recent titles are the currency, more than anyone else.

The people who want to talk about Blue Bloods are fans of programs whose glory mostly lies in the 20th century.

Reaction Score
#3 Houston goes down on the road against Iowa State.

Big opportunity for the Huskies to move up again if we take of business.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the All-Time AP Poll thing? Just posting with nothing referring to anything above and I assume you're talking about the first post, us being #4 this week.
Didn’t Dook hang a AP#1 banner in 1999?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Given that there are 3 weeks worth of voting that is "shelved" between the end of the regular season and crowning of the champion (who is always declared #1), the champion should be credited with 3 weeks worth of being #1, retroactively. It is a shame that last year we were #1 for only one week and only at the end. The champion should be rewarded in some way. So with 5 championships, UConn would have 25 points x 3 weeks x 5 championships = 375 more points. Similar reasoning for other champions. Corrections welcome.
In fact, we weren't at all. We haven't been #1 in the AP Poll since 2009, despite winning 3 titles since then.

The AP poll doesn't come out after the NCAA. It's pre-season through end of conference tournaments.

Coaches' Poll goes another week.

Reaction Score
Can this Poll be run with different start dates? Would be interesting to see this if a start date of 1980 or 1990 was used?
It certainly can be done. Not by me—that original poll was a huge labor of love by the OP—but using the college basketball reference page, someone could go through and tabulate the 17 polls each year (probably easiest by downloading as a csv and manipulating it that way, but still too much time).

Reaction Score
In fact, we weren't at all. We haven't been #1 in the AP Poll since 2009, despite winning 3 titles since then.

The AP poll doesn't come out after the NCAA. It's pre-season through end of conference tournaments.

Coaches' Poll goes another week.
Ahhh. Ok. Thanks for the correction. This says a lot about the AP poll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom