OK & Baylor up 3 to #20 & 21

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Fairfield 49 votes Duke 33 votes

What in the _____

20240122_101246.jpg

Reaction Score
Voters have a bizarre love affair with B12. Hsve they looked at Kansas sts performance in the past month?

And I don’t believe at all in TX at 3. Absolutely a very good team, but not that good.

WV still ranked? Because of their one quality win — a 70-66 home win over Okla?

Reaction Score
I think most of the rankings are fair, but as I said in another post, Stanford at 4 is not right after losing to Arizona. Even without Brink.

Reaction Score
I think most of the rankings are fair, but as I said in another post, Stanford at 4 is not right after losing to Arizona. Even without Brink.
As I said in reply to that post who, besides a 4 loss Va Tech, would you put ahead of a 4 loss Stanford? Only other team in top 15 with only 4 losses is #14 Indiana.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Time for lunch?

Yes. Only one piece of pie. I had a choice. Two pieces of pie and not being able to move for three hours, or just one piece and just being full. If you have ever been to K&W, you know how heavy the pie slices can be.

Reaction Score
Such an interesting season.

There is such great parity between 2 and 10. And I think healthy Oregon State and Kansas State can upset some folks. I really wonder if Gonzaga can get a top 4 bid. I think if they win out and win their conference tourney they deserve.

Personally I think Virginia Tech is gonna be a 1 seed again. They are one team where the pieces just fit..

During the LSU game yesterday they were calling them a 4 seed, that's insane but I get they had a relatively week schedule OOC. They did beat VT and has solid wins in conference. They should be a top 3 seed. Like LSU vs South Carolina in a sweet 16 would be awful.

Shout out to Texas for being so consistent and winning games. If Rori was healthy I really think they'd have a shot at a natty.on the other end I'm not sure they are a top team. Im really looking forward to Ohio State vs Iowa cause I can't gauge if Ohio State is for real. In fairness to them they are playing at the level that they started the season last year and Celeste Taylor is playing a bit better offensively as of late. But second best team in the country seems. IDK.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes. Only one piece of pie. I had a choice. Two pieces of pie and not being able to move for three hours, or just one piece and just being full. If you have ever been to K&W, you know how heavy the pie slices can be.
I haven't been to a K&W since the mid '70s...:)

Reaction Score

There is such great parity between 2 and 10. And I think healthy Oregon State and Kansas State can upset some folks. I really wonder if Gonzaga can get a top 4 bid. I think if they win out and win their conference tourney they deserve.

Personally I think Virginia Tech is gonna be a 1 seed again. They are one team where the pieces just fit..

During the LSU game yesterday they were calling them a 4 seed, that's insane but I get they had a relatively week schedule OOC. They did beat VT and has solid wins in conference. They should be a top 3 seed. Like LSU vs South Carolina in a sweet 16 would be awful.

Shout out to Texas for being so consistent and winning games. If Rori was healthy I really think they'd have a shot at a natty.on the other end I'm not sure they are a top team. Im really looking forward to Ohio State vs Iowa cause I can't gauge if Ohio State is for real. In fairness to them they are playing at the level that they started the season last year and Celeste Taylor is playing a bit better offensively as of late. But second best team in the country seems. IDK.
Parity for sure. I have loads of confidence in Oregon State if Raegan Beers returns (previous form) to OSU before the PAC-12 Tournament begins.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's ludicrous. Fairfield has zero Net Top 80 wins, one Net Top 100 win, and a loss to the Net #57 team (Vandy). In what universe does that merit top 25 votes???

They only have 1 loss so that makes AP voters feel warm and fuzzy inside. On Massey their SOS is 305! A couple weeks ago they beat St. Peter's by only 6 at home (Massey 343!). A lot of unserious voters out there...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Agree with all of this, though I think parity extends all the way out to top 15.

LSU as a 4 would be a matchup nightmare for a potential #1, especially if they win out in SEC play and lose in the SEC championship. If Hailey Van Lith continues to play well they could compete for a title IMO and could compete with SC in the SEC tournament.

Texas is having a great year but I don't think they're a real title contender. Vic has done a masterful job this year amidst injuries and losing Harmon mid year. I hope Booker gets Big 12 POY as a freshman. She deserves it.

Ohio State/Iowa will be telling. Ohio State has blitzed through conference play but has only played Indiana/Iowa at home so far. They're winning but have zero post presence and are an atrocious rebounding team (getting outrebounding by 2.3 per game in conference play).

Might be a hot take but I think UCLA is probably the 2nd best team in the country this year. They have several quality wins and only 3 losses when Betts is in the lineup. Of those 3 losses, one was an OT road loss at Utah, another road loss to Oregon State on a buzzer beater 3, and a 7 point loss to USC in a sold out Galen Center. If the committee disregards their 2 losses from when Betts was out 4 games, they should be a 1 seed IMO.

Reaction Score
Shout out to Texas for being so consistent and winning games. If Rori was healthy I really think they'd have a shot at a natty.
This thought hit me when the poll came out today. IMO with a healthy Rori Harmon, they would be the clear #2 team. They're still a great team now but they could be exposed in the tournament if they get the wrong matchup. Facing teams like Ohio State would be much easier with Rori.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
, another road loss to Oregon State on a buzzer beater 3
If you're going to note the losses when Betts was out of the lineup, it's worth mentioning that Rice removed Oregon St.'s best player from this game right at the beginning of Q2.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Fairfield 49 votes Duke 33 votes

What in the _____

View attachment 96941
I hate to add salt to the wound (when it really belongs on some nice Carolina BBQ) but as a Fairfield County resident whose son went to , they really have no business getting top 25 votes. Nice season, happy for them but Carl Ademec has been incessantly promoting them and has other voters following suit. I am with you Triad. Keep winning and next week maybe you go to 26....

Reaction Score
Agree with all of this, though I think parity extends all the way out to top 15.

LSU as a 4 would be a matchup nightmare for a potential #1, especially if they win out in SEC play and lose in the SEC championship. If Hailey Van Lith continues to play well they could compete for a title IMO and could compete with SC in the SEC tournament.

Texas is having a great year but I don't think they're a real title contender. Vic has done a masterful job this year amidst injuries and losing Harmon mid year. I hope Booker gets Big 12 POY as a freshman. She deserves it.

Ohio State/Iowa will be telling. Ohio State has blitzed through conference play but has only played Indiana/Iowa at home so far. They're winning but have zero post presence and are an atrocious rebounding team (getting outrebounding by 2.3 per game in conference play).

Might be a hot take but I think UCLA is probably the 2nd best team in the country this year. They have several quality wins and only 3 losses when Betts is in the lineup. Of those 3 losses, one was an OT road loss at Utah, another road loss to Oregon State on a buzzer beater 3, and a 7 point loss to USC in a sold out Galen Center. If the committee disregards their 2 losses from when Betts was out 4 games, they should be a 1 seed IMO.
I like UCLA a lot as well. The only thing that worries me is that all their shooters are pretty streaky so what happens when they face a team that packs the paint. I could see them getting tight especially as a favorite with a bit of expectations on them and a couple of players in their last go round. But I agree I think they might be the 2nd best team. Legitimately have 7 players who can go for double figures.

I hedged at ten but ur right about the parity in the top 15. My thing is I think every team besides Texas (tho I like their team and watched a ton of their games) in the top ten has a legit shot at making the final four. Admittedly I'm a bit bias with UConn considering their play against top 10 teams. But I think they legit have 2 of the top 15 players in the country and some real solid players supporting them. And they are pretty experienced.
But Nc State, Colorado, Indiana, I would be super shocked if they made it that far. I mean of course this is what march madness is all about so the unexpected will likely happen. But I think nc state is a bit limited in the front court and really relies heavily on mimi Collins and River Baldwin. If they don't play well, it will be hard for them to advance to the sweet 16 imo. Colorado has struggled a bit lately losing their last 3 games but no shame in that considering their opponents. I just worry that they are not playing well at the most crucial stretch of the season. I also don't know how many games in the tournament that they will have the best player on the court. In fairness it didn't matter last year until it did in the later rounds so nothing new. Mackenzie Holmes will go down as one of my favorite college players but I don't trust Indiana. It's weird cuz I like their starting 5 a lot. I'm just a bit jaded by their recent history . Just gotta hope to avoid Princeton jk

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hate to add salt to the wound (when it really belongs on some nice Carolina BBQ) but as a Fairfield County resident whose son went to , they really have no business getting top 25 votes. Nice season, happy for them but Carl Ademec has been incessantly promoting them and has other voters following suit. I am with you Triad. Keep winning and next week maybe you go to 26....
I think the voters have a hard time forgetting how Duke got blown out by Clemson. The vision of the mediocre-at-best Clemson team scoring basket after basket against Duke and running up the score on them just tends to linger in the memory for a very long time. One voter at the time was even overheard saying, "There's no way this team will ever be on my ballot, no matter how many ranked teams they end up beating."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think the voters have a hard time forgetting how Duke got blown out by Clemson. The vision of the mediocre-at-best Clemson team scoring basket after basket against Duke and running up the score on them just tends to linger in the memory for a very long time. One voter at the time was even overheard saying, "There's no way this team will ever be on my ballot, no matter how many ranked teams they end up beating."

20240226_165028.jpg

Reaction Score
I like UCLA a lot as well. The only thing that worries me is that all their shooters are pretty streaky so what happens when they face a team that packs the paint. I could see them getting tight especially as a favorite with a bit of expectations on them and a couple of players in their last go round. But I agree I think they might be the 2nd best team. Legitimately have 7 players who can go for double figures.

I hedged at ten but ur right about the parity in the top 15. My thing is I think every team besides Texas (tho I like their team and watched a ton of their games) in the top ten has a legit shot at making the final four. Admittedly I'm a bit bias with UConn considering their play against top 10 teams. But I think they legit have 2 of the top 15 players in the country and some real solid players supporting them. And they are pretty experienced.
But Nc State, Colorado, Indiana, I would be super shocked if they made it that far. I mean of course this is what march madness is all about so the unexpected will likely happen. But I think nc state is a bit limited in the front court and really relies heavily on mimi Collins and River Baldwin. If they don't play well, it will be hard for them to advance to the sweet 16 imo. Colorado has struggled a bit lately losing their last 3 games but no shame in that considering their opponents. I just worry that they are not playing well at the most crucial stretch of the season. I also don't know how many games in the tournament that they will have the best player on the court. In fairness it didn't matter last year until it did in the later rounds so nothing new. Mackenzie Holmes will go down as one of my favorite college players but I don't trust Indiana. It's weird cuz I like their starting 5 a lot. I'm just a bit jaded by their recent history . Just gotta hope to avoid Princeton jk
Betts appears to be all the way back, and the loss against USC happened with several players sick. So, the Bruins are looking like their December selves once again. But, tightness in "last games" could really be a thing with fully 5 players celebrating Senior night tonight. Osborne and Brown are joined by redshirt juniors Angela Dugalic, Izzy Anstey, and Emily Bessoir. Anstey and Bessoir were already out for the year, but Dugalic is a key player who appears to be happy ending her college experience with a year of eligibility left. She's got the Olympics this summer, and a professional career in Europe if she wants it, but it's still a surprise.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Betts appears to be all the way back, and the loss against USC happened with several players sick. So, the Bruins are looking like their December selves once again. But, tightness in "last games" could really be a thing with fully 5 players celebrating Senior night tonight. Osborne and Brown are joined by redshirt juniors Angela Dugalic, Izzy Anstey, and Emily Bessoir. Anstey and Bessoir were already out for the year, but Dugalic is a key player who appears to be happy ending her college experience with a year of eligibility left. She's got the Olympics this summer, and a professional career in Europe if she wants it, but it's still a surprise.
Wow I’m surprised she’ll be done after this year. I feel like she’s finally getting her playing career going. It’s effectively her 2nd full year playing and first year as a starter. That’ll be a notable loss for them next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The AP poll is a fun distraction and thought exercise, but I'm way more intrigued to see what the committee does in its next reveal coming up on Thursday.

7 of the top 11 from the last reveal have taken losses to lower-ranked teams. The 4 exceptions are SC, Ohio State, Texas and Virginia Tech. Specifically I'm curious to see how the committee evaluates Stanford's and Oregon State's losses in view of the absence of their respective star post players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom