Anyone getting screwed over with chips? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anyone getting screwed over with chips?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You sir, you, should write a letter to somebody sitting in a chair in their office in some ivory tower making margins off of the air in your cheetos bag, those bastards!

In 2017, sales of Cheetos exceeded $1 billion dollars, which was more than 5 times the combined sales figures of its next 9 competitors in the cheese snack food category. But the original cheese snack product was Cheese Doodles.

To help take some of the sting out of snack food bags that are disappoint us by being less full than we expect, I offer a couple of anecdotal tidbits directly from the "man behind the snack," and his wife who was notably less modest in telling tales about the famous product. But first, some background:

Sometime in the first few years of the new millennium, I was invited to join a dear friend for Friday night services at her temple. There was some aspect of the evening that related to or honored the Saturday morning Torah study group that she attended, and from which she would regularly share very accessible and generally excellent poetry that was written and distributed by one of her cohorts. He was a slightly-built older man man with a wispy ponytail that was always collected within a thin rubber band.

As was custom, there was a social reception afterward, with wine, crudite, and sweets, and I found myself in conversation with an petite, elegant, and highly animated mature woman named Phyllis, who eventually came around to telling me she was married to the poet. Before long, she moved the conversation forward, by offering in a hushed, conspiratorial tone, "Morris would kill me if he knew I told you, but he invented the Cheese Doodle."

The Wikipedia article above, and the NYTimes obit that served as a major reference source, emphasized that Morrie was modest about his credit for the product, but willing to claim having come up with the name. Phyllis, without any prompting or her husband's watchful eye, told me that the name "doodle" was actually an acceptable (and more playful) reworking of pluralized children's slang word for poop, "doodies." At the time of product creation, when the extruded cheese form emerged from the machinery that created it, there was instant & delighted recognition that its shape and size resembled the feces of a small dog.

Morrie, a naturally shy man, had an even better story, which he told me after seeing me a few times and apparently deciding that I was OK to talk with. He'd grown up on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, not far from Yankee Stadium, which he would visit often. When he showd up one day on a new bicycle, Morrie was hailed down at the perimeter of the stadium. The man who admired his bicycle said, "Hey kid, can I ride your bicycle?," and then proceeded to spin around the broad areas where fans would congregate before entering the facility. He performed all kinds of tricks, including wheelies, hands-free, standing up, and when he was finished he offered appreciative thanks for the fun he'd had. And yes, that joyous overgrown kid was George Herman Ruth.

Reaction Score
what about those delicious mini-muffin things that only come 4 in a bag?!

Graduated to these. I'll stop eating them after I gain another 25 pounds. And it's only 7 bucks a box.

1.jpg

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, after nearly 5 months, @Chin Diesel is still looking for takers of his 24 month salt cured prosciutto. ?

As a reminder that big ole' ham hock was given to a friend/neighbor as a Christmas gift. I just got to enjoy some of it over New Year's. And it's location was lost somewhere in late Jan/Feb as it got passed around from house to house. Fortunately it never made it to my house.

Reaction Score
Make your own, it is pretty darn easy and cheap!

The same goes for a lot of things people waste money on like salad dressing, pasta sauce, and hummus. All of it is very easy to make and you save so much over the long haul, with fresh ingredients you pick.

Reaction Score
This thread is “chipping” away at me, not your average “cookie cutter” thread !
One of the funniest threads I have seen on here, great responses !

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
It’s not to often I will buy chips when I do I get a small bag whenever I get a grinder I have been noticing the bag being half full. They seem to inflate the bag more to sell the image of the bag being 2 times bigger then whats actually in it. Anyone noticing this in general when buying food. I guess its good for me now as I really don’t need to have chips.
You won’t have this problem if you buy Pringles. Usually stacked the same for decades with more flavors now.

Reaction Score
Took 4 months for my new server for crypto to show up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom