Any Pickleball Players on this Forum? | The Boneyard

Any Pickleball Players on this Forum?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Some background... Played a lot of tennis in my younger years, though haven't been on the court since probably 1999. Watching Wimbledon and the US Open over the summer got me thinking of going out and hitting some balls. Unfortunately with age, I've slowed down a bit.. picked a few pounds plus I have some rotator cuff problems and a questionable right elbow.

Thought maybe picking up pickleball might be an alternative for me. For those who have played both tennis and pickleball, is it hard to break your tennis habits and do your tennis skills translate on the pickleball court?

Reaction Score
Like you, I played a lot of tennis and thought it would help. Played a lot of clay court and slower surfaces and thought I would just continue that basic swing with some top spin. I was mistaken. It way to fast and the opponents are too close. It’s more like table tennis with fast reactions and touch. Especially doubles. Not a lot of running so it’s a good sport for us geezers.

Reaction Score
I played some tennis in high school (~20 years ago) and recently started pickleball. It's very addicting and I find it to be much more enjoyable! IMO, doubles > singles and you meet a ton of wonderful people in all age ranges. Honestly, the game reminds me more of table tennis which is why I love it so much :D I'm sure you will fall in love as well...

With your tennis background, you already have a good backhand and can put topspin on your shots (a lot of beginners struggle with this). And if you were comfortable up at the net, you should have good reflexes and the finesse to be successful near the "kitchen".

In my limited experience, new players coming from tennis struggle with the speed of the ball and rely too much on groundstrokes (in doubles). Both are fixable with practice and learning strategy (get to that kitchen!!! lol)

The major caveat of pickleball is the high rate of injuries. I'm a pretty active person and I recently tore ligaments in my foot when I launched forward to approach the net. I've never sustained an injury like that before and it has me contemplating whether to return to the game or not :( Just something to consider...

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments, but I will be honest and say that as a former college tennis player I find that I don’t love the sport. When you play people with similar skill and reflexes, the rallies (before a killshot) can get pretty boring (dink after dink).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom