Another Replacement Guard ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Another Replacement Guard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have asked myself this same question. For Saylor, I beievethat she made the correct move. Her minutes were not there and I didn't see it in her game. For Mir, I wished that she would have stuck around. Loved her work ethic in the paint. Reminded me of Gabby. However, you can't think what if. Still wish that we would have picked up another guard from the portal. Five is not enough. Earlier a team of 12 was mentioned. I would have to agree with that. You need six guards to cover the point, off or #2 and the wing. Post players needs to be able to play the 4 or 5. Look at what Tamika, Ashja and Swin did as a trio. All three were 6"2" and took no crap from anyone.
They had 7 players that can play in some combinations, the 1,2 and 3 spots.
They had 3 point guards.
They had 4 shooting guards.
They had 5 small forwards.
This isn't "enough?"

Paige, Nika, Azzi, Carline, Lou, Griffin, and Patterson. Now they have 6. Unfortunately the huge problem is not "the bench". Instead, it happens to be arguably the best player in WCBB who was well on her way to becoming an all-time great able to play 1,2 and 3 spots just got hurt.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Lou's D at Fairfield was not impressive. But their team D was not very ambitious, mainly a 2-3 zone. That's what you mainly see out side the top 25 teams -- zone with the occasional man-on-man. This is probably another reason Geno is not very interested in the transfer portal -- he doesn't want a junior or senior with little experience playing high level team D.

Reaction Score
Coco, I agree that your starting lineup give us the best chance to win, but Geno;s loyalty will never allow him t0 start a 1st year transfer over Nika, who has now been in the program for three years. Unless, he's learned from his terribly poor choice to start Crystal Dangerfield over Azura Stevens and give her limited playing time...
When we had discussions on starting 5 back then - I was extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely vocal that Stevens should start because I felt "you play your best," and have Nurse work all season becoming the pg with Danger as the backup.

However, that year, UCONN wound up going undefeated and lost on a buzzer beater. And primarily it was their defense that let them down. I just have a hard time killing Geno on a team that had gone undefeated all year only to lose on a buzzer beater in the Final Four vs the eventual National Champion. In fact, maybe he should get criticism for not playing Stevens more in the FF game whether she came off the bench or not, rather than just talk of a starting lineup?

Reaction Score
Not sure you should start Nika unless she can display the discipline not to get into foul trouble by the middle of the 2nd quarter.
That will be the big reveal for her.
I’m thinking Azzi, Ducharme and Senechal, with Nika first in early to terrorize opponent and change the game flow.
As long as she keeps fouls to a minimum, she can stay in for extender periods and start the 3rd quarter.
And let’s be real- we have no idea how much Aubrey can contribute being out so long and rebounding from back surgery.
Do I hope for the best from her?-ABSOLUTELY- but, please show me.
Not your best post, but I'll refrain from a thumbs down. I am sure that I would want to start Nika.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am still very concerned about Caroline and Aubrey’s injuries in regards to the time table in which they will be 100% healthy.
Saylor had hip-labrum surgery after her freshman year of high school and played IIRC a full sophomore year. Had surgery on the other hip labrum after her junior year. She wasn't able to do full rehab due to Maryland limitations on gyms, but her limiting factor at UConn was her back, not her hip.

Caroline's mileage may vary, but I'm not that worried about it.

Backs are a whole 'nother can o' worms.

Reaction Score
You don't like DT, and you don't like Nika. Just who the heck do you like?
How's this, Skeets: pretty much everybody who's played for Geno.

I like Nika a lot, probably as much as you, possibly more. That shouldn't mean I can't offer a critique about her ability to be the Huskies' go-to point guard, does it?

As for DT, I'm not sure how it's relevant to Nika, but I always liked her as a Huskies player and certainly was thrilled she was at UConn. That was many years ago. These days, I prefer the on-court demeanor of many other WNBA players to how DT carries herself. Is that permitted for me to say? And that doesn't lessen my opinion of her as an all-timer.

Reaction Score
This is water under the bridge. Aside from Stanford, I can’t think of another D1 WBB program in the country that carries 15 scholarship players. ND has 9 next season, and the Irish haven’t lost their best player to injury.

Trying to maintain a large roster of talented players, many of whom will see little or no PT is a recipe for team disharmony and transfers. Last season it appeared that UConn could have as many as 16 players. But Makurat & Chaisson left before the season. Mir & Saylor transferred out before the 2nd semester and Aubrey was out for the year.

Kids want to play. Geno doesn’t need warm bodies on the bench in case players are injured.
Oldude- much respect for you and your perspective.
Let me say- “kids” want to play- champions see the bigger picture.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude- much respect for you and your perspective.
Let me say- “kids” want to play- champions see the bigger picture.
So you are suggesting that really good players should be content to ride the bench because they’re on a really good team? Over many years I’ve been involved with many different teams in multiple sports as a player, coach, parent & fan, and I can honestly say that I have never found that to be the case.

With immediate eligibility for 1st time transfers, roughly 1/3 of all D-1 WBB players placed their names in the transfer portal after this past season. Kids want to play! I want kids on my team that hate sitting on the bench, and will do everything they can to get on the field/court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With immediate eligibility for 1st time transfers, roughly 1/3 of all D-1 WBB players placed their names in the transfer portal after this past season. Kids want to play! I want kids on my team that hate sitting on the bench, and will do everything they can to get on the field/court.
This is also why UConn won't be an attractive proposition for many of these transfers. They want to play, and Geno tells them they'll have to earn their minutes in practice, against the likes of Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka, etc.

If you're Angel Reese, for example, and you're tired of playing the 5 at Maryland, UConn is not an attractive destination, given the competition at the 4 from Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna, and maybe even Amari, and her likely sense that she's already earned her spot before she's even arrived.

Reaction Score
So you are suggesting that really good players should be content to ride the bench because they’re on a really good team? Over many years I’ve been involved with many different teams in multiple sports as a player, coach, parent & fan, and I can honestly say that I have never found that to be the case.

If “really good” players don’t want to become “great” players, play before huge crowds, play in the final four and refine their craft from one of the best organizations in the nation, let them go to UCLA, Perdue,or East Jabib.
I hear Penciltucky is also building a program.
(No offense)

Reaction Score

Greta post!

Specifically, most superstars know that when you give them 35-40 minutes they will beatdown no matter how many defenders try to guard them/ and/or defenses are thrown at them. That's why they become champions. They can't be stopped well enough.

That's why the greatest WCBB in History uses less of bench and more playing his super players because as time has shown, the superstar will win more championships than not. OFC there are other teams that have superstars too.

Reaction Score
I have no concern's about Lou's offensive game. She can score against high level Division I opposition. I thought she would be good for 8-10 ppg before Paige got hurt. The concern is her defense. Can she play defense up to Geno's standards? I'm thinking she could be ahead of Caroline on the depth chart.
I have no concern about Lou’s offensive game either but think it’s doubtful she’s ahead of Caroline’s overall game. Lou was a 4 mainly during her career at least defensively. My guess is her quickness defensively will be an issue. I do project her to start over Nika at some point soon and get more overall PT generally. I think she can be a solid 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
I have no concern about Lou’s offensive game either but think it’s doubtful she’s ahead of Caroline’s overall game. Lou was a 4 mainly during her career at least defensively. My guess is her quickness defensively will be an issue. I do project her to start over Nika at some point soon and get more overall PT generally. I think she can be a solid 2 or 3.
Yup. Caroline has already shown what she brings as a defender -- a shot blocker, good at jumping the passing lanes, and a dazzling passer out of a steal. And during the lay-up swoon last season, Caroline was the only sure finisher at the rim for a few weeks. She's one cool customer. Lou is long enough, but may not be quick enough to play D at the 2 or the 3 spot yet, while Caroline is both, and is also assertive enough to play the 3.

Lou has to prove herself, and she can learn a lot from Caroline.

Evina got stuck playing the 4, especially in the tournament, and she just wasn't big and strong enough to contain someone like Belibi, for example. Caroline can definitely hold her own against opposing 4s, if she has to. There is simply no way Lou is ready to do that.

Reaction Score
I have no concern's about Lou's offensive game. She can score against high level Division I opposition. I thought she would be good for 8-10 ppg before Paige got hurt. The concern is her defense. Can she play defense up to Geno's standards? I'm thinking she could be ahead of Caroline on the depth chart.
Lou had low visibility before college because she played in France and then Ireland. If she had played in the United States (or even Eastern Europe), she might have ended up on a better ranked team.

To see her potential, those who don’t know Lou should watch the Fairfield Taxas tournament game (the full game is no longer available on YouTube, but there is still a seven-minute highlight video). Athletic, fluid, can find her own shot. I don’t know if it’s useful to compare her with Caroline except in a conversation about who is going to start. They are very different players.

I’m partial to Lou because I’m in France. I’ve bookmarked some French sites with information about her playing time in France, and I might someday share that on the BY. I do believe she has the potential to be a very important player at UConn, especially now that Paige is out. In fact, she does some things on offense that remind me of Paige. We’ll just have to see how she plays game after game at a higher level and how quickly she can learn UConn’s offense.

More generally, for UConn to get to the Final Four, I think everyone is going to have to step up. Azzi, for example, is going to have to play at her full superstar potential. Nika is going to have to prove to the naysayers that she is more than a « serviceable » PG. And Lou will have to show WCBB that France is one of the great BB countries in the world. Because it is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If “really good” players don’t want to become “great” players, play before huge crowds, play in the final four and refine their craft from one of the best organizations in the nation, let them go to UCLA, Perdue,or East Jabib.
I hear Penciltucky is also building a program.
(No offense)
A really good player will never become a great player sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think at this point if the staff is going to add any player it will be an International one, which is awesome. Or adding one possibly two from the portal as a walk-on. If you give them a school scholarship I believe that they can play right away. If Caroline's sister is still there why not ask her to join the team. She has hoops in her blood and has played elsewhere. At this point anyone sitting in Limbo is wondering if they had made a mistake or not by leaving the program that they were in.

Reaction Score
This is also why UConn won't be an attractive proposition for many of these transfers. They want to play, and Geno tells them they'll have to earn their minutes in practice, against the likes of Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka, etc.

If you're Angel Reese, for example, and you're tired of playing the 5 at Maryland, UConn is not an attractive destination, given the competition at the 4 from Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna, and maybe even Amari, and her likely sense that she's already earned her spot before she's even arrived.
I see a reasonable middle ground between oldude and Bone Dog's points that defines where I am at. If you recruit a very good player you want them to be shooting for a significant role, and not be content with a mop up role like oldude, and Bone Dog I believe is correct that Uconn won't be an attractive proposition for some transfers because of the possibility of iffy playing time. I think that point also pertains to incoming freshmen.

While I agree it is not for everybody, I don't see a problem with recruiting extra very good players as long as it is presented openly and honestly. That means that extra 11th or 12th very good player has to beat out somebody to make the rotation, if they don't they may well wind up transferring, but in the meantime represent a very good insurance policy for the team. You lose some recruits to the portal, pick up some fillers from the portal, and keep recruiting an extra "very good" player or two on an ongoing basis.

I suspect most of the very good players that Uconn pursues would want to see a likely path to playing time before committing, whether they be freshmen recruits or transfers. Clearly it is much harder to recruit a very good prospect that on paper might project as outside the top ten, as opposed to a likely part of the rotation. Still there are some players that would accept the challenge with a great deal of uncertainty, knowing they need to beat out someone considered as good or better than them to get playing time. If the coach and the player are realistic about their chances and OK with it, then I think from a team standpoint that insurance has significant value, at least in years with significant injuries.

Oldude is right that kids want to play, and Bone Dog that Uconn may not be an attractive proposition for some transfers because of potential playing time issues, but for those that are willing to try to break into the rotation with no guarantees, and even if it doesn't work out, get to experience a year of the Uconn program, it could be a reasonable gamble without much downside. If they want playing time in subsequent years they can get it in the portal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, I think we all need to recognize that the cavalry is not coming. If there was a player available in the transfer portal or overseas who was interested in UConn and could play at the level required to contribute, they would be here already.

UConn’s success next season will rest on the 10 players that are currently on the roster and presumed to be healthy when the season starts. Even without Paige, that’s a pretty formidable group of players.

So long as everyone remains relatively healthy, I have no doubt that Geno and his staff will work their magic turning this Husky team into yet another powerhouse.

Without the most creative and talented player in WBB, the offense won’t be as fluid or effective. As I stated in another post, I expect this team to be relentless on the defensive end, stronger crashing the boards and capable of “winning ugly” against any team in the country.

Reaction Score
And Lou will have to show WCBB that France is one of the great BB countries in the world. Because it is.
France is definitely a great BB country. Years ago, when I was a younger man, I spent a summer at the Université de Nice and played in lots of pick up games. Mostly these were students. But a few were locals kids who came up to campus, and it was clear even then that there was a lively street ball scene in the Côte d’Azur. I’ve spent a couple sabbaticals in England since then, and there’s nothing comparable going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom