Another Replacement Guard ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another Replacement Guard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Azzi did a commendable job as the US PG during last year’s U19 world championships. So she most certainly can play the position. The problem is that Azzi may be the best shooting guard in the nation. I think UConn is better with a capable pg (Nika) and an AA shooting guard (Azzi).
I agree. We have two pg's right now. Long-term this is good for Azzi imo so she just doesn't get herself "pigeon-holed" as only a shooter.

Also, imo the UCONN offense which is a motion offense and less reliant on isolation, then after Azzi brings up the ball and makes the 1st pass, after that she becomes a scoring guard threat.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is water under the bridge. Aside from Stanford, I can’t think of another D1 WBB program in the country that carries 15 scholarship players. ND has 9 next season, and the Irish haven’t lost their best player to injury.

Trying to maintain a large roster of talented players, many of whom will see little or no PT is a recipe for team disharmony and transfers. Last season it appeared that UConn could have as many as 16 players. But Makurat & Chaisson left before the season. Mir & Saylor transferred out before the 2nd semester and Aubrey was out for the year.

Kids want to play. Geno doesn’t need warm bodies on the bench in case players are injured.
Geno has his finger on the pulse of his team. HE KNOWS what he's got and who he's got. He and his staff know if the newbies coming in can contributed MEANINGFUL minutes this year. Before Paige went down I said that this team didn't have any cheerleaders. Imho, EVERYONE the roster can play. No projects on this team. Players 1-8 should get the bulk of the minutes in most games, but 9-10 should see the floor more THIS year than they did last year, especially if a player in front of them is having a bad game, in foul trouble or is nicked up. Geno's options this year will be limited, but he shouldn't be reluctant to put and of his reserves in. I look for the freshmen to see lots of minutes in the OCC games. Their services are needed NOW.

If Geno chooses not to add another player before school begins, it's because he's confident he can get through the entire season with what he has. I agree with the posters that said that UConn cannot afford another injury to anyone the rest of the season. I have a feeling that even those on the end of the bench will see significant playing time, especially against weaker conference opponents. We'll know in 3 weeks. UConn's fall classes begin on Aug 29. Any new additions to the program must be enrolled and on campus by then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming Geno/UConn isn't able to find another guard prior to the season, I'm guessing Geno will have to rely on everything from the overall excellence of his 10 remaining scholarship players and (some of) their abilities to take on certain tasks of the UConn offense. An offense that may or may not have to be tweaked a bit given Paige's absence.

From my perspective (and I watch more UConn games than you might think):
  • Nika's the PG and she's going to have to stay out of foul trouble to both stay on the court and keep her designated back-up doing what she does best.
  • That back-up is Azzi Fudd, who can probably direct half-court sets and lead a fast break, but shines best as a scorer. Against top notch teams, she'll need to score.
  • I think the decision on maximizing talent is most intriguing at the wing or bigger guard position. With Paige, I think Caroline Ducharme, no brainer. But no Paige, does Caroline become the back-up off-guard if/when Azzi takes over lead guard?
And, if that's the case, do you start Lou Lopez Senechal at wing? Not only can she score, but she's a good rebounder as well.
- How good -- and versatile -- is Ayanna Patterson? Does she have the handle/medium-range game to play wing? Or is she more of a stretch 4?

Against lesser competition, I think Geno can mix and match without too many worries -- remember the level of talent is high -- but against tougher competition, it will be really interesting to see how he utilizes Ducharme and Senechal and how Patterson develops in the course of her freshman year.

p.s. Interestingly, because of mass transfers and only one frosh coming in, Notre Dame only has nine scholarship players.
The player I've got circled as key is also a wing -- Sonia Citron. ND really doesn't have another tall guard/wing who can do what she does. I can see her playing the 3, 2 and 4. And she probably will. On the UConn side, that will be Fudd, working the 2 and one.
I can’t see scenario, let alone reason, for Lou Lopez-Senechal to start over Caroline. Lopez-Senechal will get minutes but not at expense of Caroline except for spot relief. Or did I misinterpret something above?

Reaction Score
I can’t see scenario, let alone reason, for Lou Lopez-Senechal to start over Caroline. Lopez-Senechal will get minutes but not at expense of Caroline except for spot relief. Or did I misinterpret something above?
Agreed, Conndog, if Lou initially or eventually starts, it would be in place of Nika. We all are hopeful Lou will make a big impact. I think that remains to be seen. If she does, however, the Huskies' best quintet will be Dorka, Aaliyah, Caroline, Azzi and Lou (at least if or until Ayanna or Ice were to break into the starting rotation.

I do hedge all that on the presumption that Caroline is back to good condition by season's start. If she is, she won't be dislodged from the starting five.

Reaction Score
Depending on who we are playing the line up may change slightly. But, right now it's going to be:

Nika - Point Guard
Azzi - Off Guard
Caroline - Wing
Dorka - Power Forward
Aaliyah - Center

That is our most experienced team. All of the others will be rotating in.
That line-up should beat most teams in the Big East. No problem. Bt let me add; Unless we get super star performances from several other players ( DeBerry and the two freshmen come mind ), this is just going to be s pretty good team. And with only one point guar ( a player who is our best defender but a foul magnet), this team can be susceptible to full court press defenses. And to the extent that Azzi has to play this position, her shooting role may be compromised. Basically, we are all saying UCONN is hugely weakened and diminished by this tragic development with Paige. Geno and the players are going to have to figure out something that can work against anyone. But we are certainly experiencing a mass of bad fortune in the women's BB program. We'll do the best we can. But you all know the road is going to be bumpy. What are the chances that every player remaining stays healthy all year?

Reaction Score
I'd say, just like Paige, Azzi is the most talented player we can put at point guard. That doesn't mean we want her there. But she's a better passer and has better handles than Nika, and she can finish at the rim with the best players in the country. Those are the skills we want in a point guard. It's just that Azzi brings so much more. It was the same with Paige two years ago -- she was obviously the most talented point guard, maybe in the nation -- but we wanted Nika and Evina to play point whenever possible because Paige is so much more valuable at the 2.

Remember, when she returned, Paige played the point this year most of the time. Unless Nika develops better O skills, Geno is likely to make the same calculation as he did last year with Paige -- i.e. Azzi will play the point for half the time, with Nika spelling her for 15-20 mins so she can light it up from 3.

We absolutely want/need Nika's defense, and when she's on the floor, point is the only offensive position she can play. This is a limiting factor for us, but it may also mean that when Nika's in the game, we want to press and run a transition offense as much as possible. Nika-Azzi-Caroline-Lou-Aubrey are absolutely the right personnel for that form of our offense. I think of the Tennessee game as a model for this. Nika and Christyn (but especially Nika) shredded them in the 3rd quarter, and that effectively decided the game. That's Nika at her best, not as a pure point guard, but as a defensive terror. We need to use her that way, and let her run the half court offense for brief spells.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
some of youse are starting to do it again, like last year. twisting urselves into pretzels over how things could go bad. mebbe i should back the truck up to remind some of youse of your last years ad nauseum 'freak out' performances. i seem to recall the 'geno has lost it!' circus act the best.
kinda ridiculous, given how none of that happened, and, as usual, we played in the title game of the UConn Invitational.
friendly reminder, the overwhelming majority of teams, like almost all, stink. i'll cut southie a bit of slack since they're the champs, but, seriously,
almost all the rest stink on ice. we could roll out geno, the ball girl, some guy in a wheelchair, and two from the official squad, and win most games.
deal with it, or not. as far as im concerned, the comp stinks. and i really don't pay too much attention to them anyway, since i have decades of husky results to not care aboot anyone but us.
'bbut, this year!' same old song and dance. breanna ain't lacing them up for anybody that we'll face.
'wunderkinds everywhere!' yeah, um no.
the trend is your friend, until it noticeably, measureably, changes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is water under the bridge. Aside from Stanford, I can’t think of another D1 WBB program in the country that carries 15 scholarship players. ND has 9 next season, and the Irish haven’t lost their best player to injury.

Trying to maintain a large roster of talented players, many of whom will see little or no PT is a recipe for team disharmony and transfers. Last season it appeared that UConn could have as many as 16 players. But Makurat & Chaisson left before the season. Mir & Saylor transferred out before the 2nd semester and Aubrey was out for the year.

Kids want to play. Geno doesn’t need warm bodies on the bench in case players are injured.
I have a mixed reaction to your post this time. I certainly agree completely that most programs don't need the scholarship limit of 15 players. I also agree that most kids want to play, and believe that most beyond say the first 10 probably will not be content with being a third stringer, and that could lead to disharmony and transfers.

Where I differ is I think transfers are happening at most programs at a high rate, and it has become to a certain extent a new normal. If you don't have to sit out a year that is even more true, so there is less loyalty than in the past between school and player. Schools deliberately recruit some prospects that realistically don't have a very good chance at playing time, partly because some attrition of players is anticipated.

While I agree we don't need 15, it seems like 12 or so might be good. As far as warm bodies are concerned, if a player wouldn't be used even with significant injuries, then it serves no purpose to have them on the roster. For example, suppose we added a 5th guard who wasn't very good, and if one of our four guards got injured, if Geno still preferred to use Ayanna, Aaliyah, Ice or Amari at the 3 or even the 2 than the extra guard then the pickup wouldn't matter. That extra player has to be playable in at least extreme injury scenarios to make a difference. So if an addition was just a warm body that wouldn't be used ahead of a more talented player that was playing at a bad position for them, then I agree, why bother.

Uconn has had some interesting situations with the tail end of the bench. Pulido and Lawlor for example were quite content being the 11th and 12th players that only got mop up minutes. Of course they were walk-ons so it is easy to understand. I remember being a little puzzled by the recruitment of Irwin and Bent a few years later. By Uconn standards they were not high recruits, but I kind of viewed them as upgrades over the Pulido/Lawlor level third stringers. Players who were not expecting to have a major role, but who wanted to be part of this program, and would be passable players if needed because of injuries, and way better than walk-ons.

That was a good role for them and one they would accept. But then Megan's four player class became a one player class and soon they were not spare parts, but part of the rotation getting pretty significant minutes. Then we have last year which started as you said with way too many players, but also very highly recruited players many of whom were not going to get enough time to keep them happy. I felt the same way about that overabundance, and yet in a crazy season we wound up with no backup guards for several games, and no regularly used backup bigs for several others.

You never know, so it seems to me there are several strategies if you are shooting for a roster of 12 which is my preferred number. You could just add a couple of walk-ons for 11 and 12. They wouldn't cause any disharmony or problems, but if you have to use them you are in trouble. You could pursue a second tier recruit like Kyla or Molly, that might be content in a mop up role and wouldn't kill you if needed for some rotation use. Or you could fill the two presumed third string roles with a top recruits giving them a chance to compete for a rotation spot, but with both coaches and players knowing that a couple of very talented players are going to be on the outside looking in for playing time. In that case the losers of that competition are likely transfers.

I don't want to fill the roster with 15 players either, but given the kind of things that can and do happen, I would like to see some pretty good quality in a couple of players beyond the first 10, even if that means there could be some significant turnover there.

Reaction Score
Then we have last year which started as you said with way too many players, but also very highly recruited players many of whom were not going to get enough time to keep them happy. I felt the same way about that overabundance, and yet in a crazy season we wound up with no backup guards for several games, and no regularly used backup bigs for several others.
I still wonder if Mir and Saylor didn't make a huge mistake. The opportunity would have opened for them to prove themselves, but they left too soon to seize it. Of course, maybe the team culture was just too much for them, whether they got playing time or not.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one more. if your brain still works, and you have recall of that weird time back in uni days, when you went from sophomore to junior year, you should remember that for many of us, something material changes in our noggin. just one of those things. awareness of closer to the finish line, methinks.
ergo, res ipsa loquitor, cognito ergo sum, i have absolutely no doubt that nika will not be a fouling machine, and aliyah will be going full on to beast mode, on the o and the d. comforting.

Reaction Score
I still wonder if Mir and Saylor didn't make a huge mistake. The opportunity would have opened for them to prove themselves, but they left too soon to seize it. Of course, maybe the team culture was just too much for them, whether they got playing time or not.
I have asked myself this same question. For Saylor, I beievethat she made the correct move. Her minutes were not there and I didn't see it in her game. For Mir, I wished that she would have stuck around. Loved her work ethic in the paint. Reminded me of Gabby. However, you can't think what if. Still wish that we would have picked up another guard from the portal. Five is not enough. Earlier a team of 12 was mentioned. I would have to agree with that. You need six guards to cover the point, off or #2 and the wing. Post players needs to be able to play the 4 or 5. Look at what Tamika, Ashja and Swin did as a trio. All three were 6"2" and took no crap from anyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can, Caroline is recovering from hip surgery-her third major surgery. Give Lopez-Senechal a few games to see how she adjust to higher level of competition and give Caroline a few games to see if she is fully recovered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was wondering if either Grad Assistant might be available to move to the active roster, but Russell graduated in 2020 and is not eligible for a Covid year. Beverley was eligible for the Covid year, but used it at Penn State. Darn!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have no concern's about Lou's offensive game. She can score against high level Division I opposition. I thought she would be good for 8-10 ppg before Paige got hurt. The concern is her defense. Can she play defense up to Geno's standards? I'm thinking she could be ahead of Caroline on the depth chart.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have no concern's about Lou's offensive game. She can score against high level Division I opposition. I thought she would be good for 8-10 ppg before Paige got hurt. The concern is her defense. Can she play defense up to Geno's standards? I'm thinking she could be ahead of Caroline on the depth chart.
:eek:If we counted all the players that played defense up to Geno' standard we might not even need both hands.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon, every time I read one of your insightful posts, I feel like Darth Vader talking to Luke Skywalker, wishing you would come over to the Dark Side as a fan of UConn WBB.

Somewhere Geno is saying, “Dillon I am your father.” :rolleyes:
Wow. And I used to think it was strange that my mom was born Pottsville, Pa., the same place as Muffet McGraw (before moving to Philly).

Talk about conflicting parental identities! :confused::)

Reaction Score

I watched her play a couple of times last year, and she was mediocre defensively in those games. Not as good as Ducharme.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Caroline can play pg also
Janet Jackson Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
There is a mid June Daniel Connolly article where Geno pretty much spelled out the need for Nika to improve specifically by developing a "mid range game" to keep the opponent form double teaming the other players on the floor.
There was a follow up article in the CT insider where Nika acknowledge (somewhat reluctantly) the need for offensive improvement and also acknowledge that she understood what Geno was asking for.
Absent that specific improvement as well as the one that has already been mentioned (the need to stay out of foul trouble) I don't see Nika starting.

Starting: Azzi (Lead guard), Lou SG , Caroline SF, Aaliyah Edwards PF Dorka C
2nd Unit: Nika (PG) Azzi SG, Aubrey SF, Ayanna & Ice Brady PF and Ice Brady/Amari
Coco, I agree that your starting lineup give us the best chance to win, but Geno;s loyalty will never allow him t0 start a 1st year transfer over Nika, who has now been in the program for three years. Unless, he's learned from his terribly poor choice to start Crystal Dangerfield over Azura Stevens and give her limited playing time...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one of the simplest descriptions for explaining the history of us monkeys is
'chance, and circumstance.'

yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members