Ania, part trois | The Boneyard

Ania, part trois

Reaction Score
What can I say? Are there really remaining doubters out there in Boneyardland? Look, this Freshman (repeat, FRESHMAN) kid is, and will continue to be, a work in progress. But a failure to appreciate where this project is inevitably headed? C'mon, our forum is populated by more savvy basketball folks than that! If one tunes in for no other reason than to observe her developing and expanding skills in dishing the ball...well, Dayenu! (it would be enough!) This kid's going places...enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
I now feel vindicated by all of my posts for patience with respect to this young lady. A M generally is moving all the time on the floor and cutting to the basket and trying to make good passes and getting her self open for a basket. With this confidence builder, I would anticipate 8 to 10 points of production from A M along with the same from Aubrey. These young folks are building confidence and skills to support the UConn System. I also see them really takin Defense seriously and supporting the Team in keeping the opposition from scoring and creating turnovers. So that's it.

Reaction Score
What can I say? Are there really remaining doubters out there in Boneyardland? Look, this Freshman (repeat, FRESHMAN) kid is, and will continue to be, a work in progress. But a failure to appreciate where this project is inevitably headed? C'mon, our forum is populated by more savvy basketball folks than that! If one tunes in for no other reason than to observe her developing and expanding skills in dishing the ball...well, Dayenu! (it would be enough!) This kid's going places...enjoy the ride!
I could enjoy a posting more, I do. We need to be a little reserved I think. While Ania and Aubrey looked terrific last evening they are freshmen. As freshmen consistency isn't a usual asset.
One block by Aubrey, taken away as a foul, to my view wasn't a foul. The kid soared high and in my view got all ball. She CAN JUMP. If you recall Shea Ralph as a Uconn player--She would get in that crowd under the basket and rise up with the ball and make a basket. Aubrey did exactly that last evening.
Ania, once she made that lay up the glass ceiling broke and she started make them and wasn't fearful of taking them. Three cheers for these 2 kids. Big Petunia is right: Hang on this is going to be a thrilling ride.

Reaction Score
I now feel vindicated by all of my posts for patience with respect to this young lady. A M generally is moving all the time on the floor and cutting to the basket and trying to make good passes and getting her self open for a basket. With this confidence builder, I would anticipate 8 to 10 points of production from A M along with the same from Aubrey. These young folks are building confidence and skills to support the UConn System. I also see them really takin Defense seriously and supporting the Team in keeping the opposition from scoring and creating turnovers. So that's it.
MSGT: One correction is you please! THESE YOUNG ladies: Aubrey and Ania. You are vindicated as all of us who believed they would begin to fall. Ania was making great passes and rebounding and terrific assists before this game --the big break out for both of them was scoring and defense.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game last night and watched Ania closely.

She never takes a play off.

She moves well on defense and keeps her opponent in front of her. She plays better in man to man than zone.

She also moves well on offense. She is not fast, but definitely not slow. Has a good handle, has obviously spent a lot of time on dribbling the ball.

She is potentially a brilliant passer. Clearly European style, makes atypical, uncommon dishes. Outstanding at moving one way on the dribble and then quickly and decisively kicking it the other way. Ania and Kyla found each other a few times and looked great out there together.

Watching her in warmups, I think that (like most players) she is much better shooting threes when she is stationary and gets her feet set. Has good range, beyond men’s line. Inconsistent when movement introduced. Streaky. Shots from left corner tend to fade right, needs to square it up.

The crowd was fairly sedate by UConn standards but really came alive when she hit her first three. It was a heartwarming moment.

I think her future here is very bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am glad she made a few shots, however, she needs to change her shot mechanics. Her right arm needs to be 90% vertical.

Reaction Score
Been waiting quietly until the day I was able to present this, now the day has arrived. :rolleyes:

1574263092969.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone said she needs to change her arm angle. While that may be true at 10 years old it's much harder to do now. She did very well shooting 3's before and will do fine now. Any tinkering should wait til off season if at all.

Reaction Score
Someone said she needs to change her arm angle. While that may be true at 10 years old it's much harder to do now. She did very well shooting 3's before and will do fine now. Any tinkering should wait til off season if at all.

I agree the off-season is the best time to make mechanical adjustments. In the meantime, she will be inconsistent. Most great shooters have a straight shooting arm.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
It appears Ben Simmons made the first 3 of his professional career on the same night that Anna Mak sank her 1st 3 pointer for UConn. I expect she will hit a couple more in the next 3 years, unlike Simmons.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It appears Ben Simmons made the first 3 of his professional career on the same night that Anna Mak sank her 1st 3 pointer for UConn. I expect she will hit a couple more in the next 3 years, unlike Simmons.

Of course but I was watching in real time and Simmon's 3pt shot was pure. Quite impressive for him and the standing ovation was as long as Anna's

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Geno, always sarcastic! Can this be true?

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score

Correction: Simmons made the 3 on Wednesday, 20 Nov., Anna Mak Tuesday, 19 Nov. (But why let a chronological discrepancy spoil the facts?) My initial prediction stands, though. It took Simmons 3 years to make his perfect 3 point shot. I predict AM will make more than one 3 point shot (some perfect, some not) in the next 3 years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Correction: Simmons made the 3 on Wednesday, 20 Nov., Anna Mak Tuesday, 19 Nov. (But why let a chronological discrepancy spoil the facts?) My initial prediction stands, though. It took Simmons 3 years to make his perfect 3 point shot. I predict AM will make more than one 3 point shot (some perfect, some not) in the next 3 years.
A correction to your correction: your prediction has already happened. Anna was 2-6 on 3PTFGA on Tuesday night against Virginia.
BTW Ben Simmons is a major fraud! The 76ers will never win a Championship as long as he is the team's PG.

Reaction Score
Ania's passing is a thing to behold. She drives and dishes like an old school baller, and is resuscitating the game of the "pass that lead to the pass"!
Being so much taller than Crystal, Ania can garner a plethora of assists by "seeing over the defense" .. nicht wahr? Liv is even taller and has been doing just that during the past few games .. it bodes well that we now have a team where the PG, a wing and the post are vying for the lead in assists!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Being so much taller than Crystal, Ania can garner a plethora of assists by "seeing over the defense" .. nicht wahr? Liv is even taller and has been doing just that during the past few games .. it bodes well that we now have a team where the PG, a wing and the post are vying for the lead in assists!
This has been the norm for UCONN WBB teams for at least a decade now. The staff recruits players than can shoot & pass at all positions. Doubtful that Anna, ONO and Crystal are going to rack up more assists this season than KLS, Napheesa, and Crystal did last season (491).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it Anna or Ania? I've seen her name written both ways. When I look up her name, it's Anna.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Is it Anna or Ania? I've seen her name written both ways. When I look up her name, it's Anna.
Ania was her nickname back in Poland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom