And then there were fewer: Sunday in conference tourneys | Page 7 | The Boneyard

And then there were fewer: Sunday in conference tourneys

Reaction Score
Oh wait: How could I forget this one, just posted on another thread: "They don't pass the eye test!"

That comment doesn't pass my eye-roll test.
Well, OSU didn't impress anyone last night. Rueck needs to earn his salary and figure out how to get offense without Sydney Wiese! FYI, they have others who can score. Katie McWilliams was out for the tournament (undisclosed injury/sickness) which didn't help, but Taylor Kalmer can score, and should have played a lot more minutes. This is on Rueck, not the players.

Reaction Score
With Stanford winning tonight, it opens the door for the committee to make them the #2 seed in Stockton, which is a short drive from the Bay Area.

I think Maryland is much more likely to be sent to Bridgeport than OSU, both for geographic reasons and for S-curve integrity reasons.

OSU beat Stanford 2/3 times (right?). I don't think they get jumped.
But I think Stanford now avoids Bridgeport and could even bump Miss st from Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
But I think Stanford now avoids Bridgeport and could even bump Miss st from Oklahoma.
Unfortunately for OSU, it creates an excuse for the committee to send OSU to another region besides the west region. Of course, depending on which 3 teams join OSU in Corvallis, OSU needs to put their focus on getting those wins before worrying about which region they get slotted.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

That is correct and I don't think that Stanford jumps OSU either. But it means that Stanford is probably now #7 or #6 overall, and if the committee is really trying to keep teams close to home, it's not out of the question.

So are you saying that Miss St might be sent to Bridgeport now?

Reaction Score
That is correct and I don't think that Stanford jumps OSU either. But it means that Stanford is probably now #7 or #6 overall, and if the committee is really trying to keep teams close to home, it's not out of the question.

So are you saying that Miss St might be sent to Bridgeport now?

But Oregon st wants to be close to home too. If the committee ranks ore st higher than Stanford, then osu will be in Stockton.

Yes Miss st in bport is possible but seems very unlikely that they would fall behind md or anyone else.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But Oregon st wants to be close to home too. If the committee ranks ore st higher than Stanford, then osu will be in Stockton.

That's not how it worked out last year for South Carolina, which was reportedly the #2 overall seed but (much to their fans' chagrin) was sent to Sioux Falls instead of Lexington, so that #3 Notre Dame could be in Lexington.

Reaction Score
Oregon State and Washington were in the final four last year and Stanford beat a pretty good Notre Dame team last year as well.All three have one thing in common in that they have excellent coaches.If you give Tara enough time to game plan she can work wonders.It wouldn't surprise me if all three made the elite eight.In the tourney it is sometimes more about matchups than exactly who has the most talent.

Reaction Score
That's not how it worked out last year for South Carolina, which was reportedly the #2 overall seed but (much to their fans' chagrin) was sent to Sioux Falls instead of Lexington, so that #3 Notre Dame could be in Lexington.

Reportedly is not fact

There was also Kentucky factor last year

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reportedly is not fact

There was also Kentucky factor last year
Uh, I consider the #2 part a fact when it was reported as such by the committee chairperson herself.

She specifically said that they considered SC the overall #2 over ND but that SC was sent to Sioux Falls because Lexington was >350 miles away from Columbia, which is the NCAA's arbitrary threshold for "driving distance."

What she didn't specify was whether the motivating factor was to allow ND a "driving distance" regional site or to keep Kentucky in Lexington.

Reaction Score
Uh, I consider the #2 part a fact when it was reported as such by the committee chairperson herself.

She specifically said that they considered SC the overall #2 over ND but that SC was sent to Sioux Falls because Lexington was >350 miles away from Columbia, which is the NCAA's arbitrary threshold for "driving distance."

What she didn't specify was whether the motivating factor was to allow ND a "driving distance" regional site or to keep Kentucky in Lexington.

Ok, "reportedly" suggests speculation, not fact.
Thanks for the info.

Also, Corvallis is further from Stockton than I realized. I thought had looked it up a while back and that it was only 6 hours.

Still, I think top PAC team deserves to stay out west, since the "cost" of anywhere else is extreme. (By cost here, I mean travel time and distance from fans.)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.
You're right; my use of "reportedly" was not well chosen.

And I retract my last statement. The motivating factor, according to Ms. Committee, was the ND-to-Lexington driving-distance factor:

"When it's possible, we would rather have teams drive rather than fly as much as possible with a 350-mile radius as the marker," Dawson said. "South Carolina was a flight either way [to Lexington or Sioux Falls]. Notre Dame could drive to Lexington, but not Sioux Falls. That is why the teams were placed that way." Creme: Women's committee got bracket right

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Heck, I drove to NYC and Springfield for a MBB game one day and a WBB game the next day, so the NCAA knows nothing about "driving distance" when it comes to diehard fans.

Edit: I see they're talking about teams. Which teams take a bus more than 100 miles, anyway? We *may* bus to games against UGA in the SEC, but that's likely the only one. With the attendance problems in WBB, the NCAA needs to start thinking about accommodating fans, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Heck, I drove to NYC and Springfield for a MBB game one day and a WBB game the next day, so the NCAA knows nothing about "driving distance" when it comes to diehard fans.

Edit: I see they're talking about teams. Which teams take a bus more than 100 miles, anyway? We *may* bus to games against UGA in the SEC, but that's likely the only one. With the attendance problems in WBB, the NCAA needs to start thinking about accommodating fans, too.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but it's my understanding that the NCAA reimburses teams for their tournament-related travel, and when they talk about <350 miles being the "driving distance," I gather that this means that the NCAA reimbursement for travel within that radius is based on ground travel, which of course saves the NCAA a ton of money.

Maybe the teams are at liberty to fly to a site within the 350-mile radius if they're willing to cover the difference beyond the reimbursement.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.

Also, Corvallis is further from Stockton than I realized. I thought had looked it up a while back and that it was only 6 hours.

Still, I think top PAC team deserves to stay out west, since the "cost" of anywhere else is extreme. (By cost here, I mean travel time and distance from fans.)
Corvallis, OR is far away from anywhere, even Stockton, CA.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on this topic, but it's my understanding that the NCAA reimburses teams for their tournament-related travel, and when they talk about <350 miles being the "driving distance," I gather that this means that the NCAA reimbursement for travel within that radius is based on ground travel, which of course saves the NCAA a ton of money.

Maybe the teams are at liberty to fly to a site within the 350-mile radius if they're willing to cover the difference beyond the reimbursement.

I know for Div 3, there is a 500 mile radius -- the NCAA will pay for flights beyond that. Thus almost all the placement decisions are based on within 500 miles.
Obviously d3 is different because cost control is super important, but gives a little insight.

Reaction Score
Ha ha. Corvallis has nothing on Pullman when it comes to being in the middle of nowhere. It's within less than 2 hours of Portland isn't it?
True. Wouldn't that be exciting to have a regional in Portland? That would be fun.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
True. Wouldn't that be exciting to have a regional in Portland? That would be fun.

Portland has hosted 1st/2nd round games for the men's tournament recently. West Regional Finals seem to almost always be somewhere in California for men's and women's. Would be nice to spread it around more. Seattle and Portland could both host.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

How did Madison Washington do at Oregon State this season? She was a player from out west that we recruited pretty hard last year. She was always pretty raw but has upside and is fundamentally sound.

Reaction Score
How did Madison Washington do at Oregon State this season? She was a player from out west that we recruited pretty hard last year. She was always pretty raw but has upside and is fundamentally sound.
In the few games she has played, she hasn't made mistakes, hit a few mid-range shots. She is slow, and needs to get in the weight room, and improve her basketball physique (as do a few other young ones) & explosiveness.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
In the few games she has played, she hasn't made mistakes, hit a few mid-range shots. She is slow, and needs to get in the weight room, and improve her basketball physique (as do a few other young ones) & explosiveness.

She's one of those players that Rueck is going to have to develop into a good player. I think she has potential.

Reaction Score
Portland has hosted 1st/2nd round games for the men's tournament recently. West Regional Finals seem to almost always be somewhere in California for men's and women's. Would be nice to spread it around more. Seattle and Portland could both host.

Both Spokane and Seattle have hosted sub-regionals a few times in the last 10 years. And Spokane has been a West regional bracket host 2-3 times in the same period. With the competitive rise of both Oregon major programs, shouldn't be long before Portland gets the opportunity to host the West.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Both Spokane and Seattle have hosted sub-regionals a few times in the last 10 years. And Spokane has been a West regional bracket host 2-3 times in the same period. With the competitive rise of both Oregon major programs, shouldn't be long before Portland gets the opportunity to host the West.

I think Spokane gets it before Portland... Not sure if Portland would want to bid for a womans regional. It definitely wouldn't fill up the hotel rooms and restaurants that a mens regional or first and second round games would.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom