AmeriCup Trials Roster | The Boneyard

AmeriCup Trials Roster

Reaction Score
F17B03F3-A1E8-4F2A-9385-A472397E2F21.jpeg

Reaction Score
Interesting list and mix of players who will attend. Will also be interesting to see how the final roster fares against international competition which will have older players on their roster.

Waiting to see who will be invited for Canada Basketball's squad. Americup overlaps WNBA, so it's unclear (and highly unlikely) whether Amihere, Carelton and Nurse will attend. Obviously Achonwa is out because of her pregnancy.

Does this mean we'll see the likes of Edwards, Russell (Louisville), and Day-Wilson being called up to fill in spots? Heck, does it mean Prosper will get a chance with this group? Not to mention CB has their U23 event in Toronto that's around the same time as Americup.

As @Dillon77 would say, stay tuned. ;)

Reaction Score
Interesting list and mix of players who will attend. Will also be interesting to see how the final roster fares against international competition which will have older players on their roster.

Waiting to see who will be invited for Canada Basketball's squad. Americup overlaps WNBA, so it's unclear (and highly unlikely) whether Amihere, Carelton and Nurse will attend. Obviously Achonwa is out because of her pregnancy.

Does this mean we'll see the likes of Edwards, Russell (Louisville), and Day-Wilson being called up to fill in spots? Heck, does it mean Prosper will get a chance with this group? Not to mention CB has their U23 event in Toronto that's around the same time as Americup.

As @Dillon77 would say, stay tuned. ;)
If you are talking about Aaliyah Edwards, pretty sure she isn't planning to compete with Team Canada this summer so she can be ready to play with UConn in Europe this summer. She regressed the summer she competed with Team Canada instead of staying on campus so I doubt Geno would encourage it.

Reaction Score
If you are talking about Aaliyah Edwards, pretty sure she isn't planning to compete with Team Canada this summer so she can be ready to play with UConn in Europe this summer. She regressed the summer she competed with Team Canada instead of staying on campus so I doubt Geno would encourage it.
I wouldn't be so sure. During the BioSteel event in March, I recall her talking about representing Canada this summer. Whether it would be this or the U23 event was unclear. There also was an article in her hometown paper where she talked about it.

And regarding your regression point, Aaliyah trained and competed with Canada during the U23 summer event Globl Jam last year. I don't see it impacting her performance this season. Let's see how things play out. Based on the dates, it doesn't impact her ability to participate in training with UConn.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so sure. During the BioSteel event in March, I recall her talking about representing Canada this summer. Whether it would be this or the U23 event was unclear. There also was an article in her hometown paper where she talked about it.

And regarding your regression point, Aaliyah trained and competed with Canada during the U23 summer event Globl Jam last year. I don't see it impacting her performance this season. Let's see how things play out. Based on the dates, it doesn't impact her ability to participate in training with UConn.
Isn't Americup in early July? Not sure how she'd be able to participate in summer session and do Americup.

Reaction Score
Isn't Americup in early July? Not sure how she'd be able to participate in summer session and do Americup.

Yes it is, which is exactly my point. She was able to participate in Global Jam which occurred last July. It's possible.

Not to mention Kia Nurse competed in summer events while at UConn, like the PanAm games and the Olympics. It's been done before.

Reaction Score
Yes it is, which is exactly my point. She was able to participate in Global Jam which occurred last July. It's possible.

Not to mention Kia Nurse competed in summer events while at UConn, like the PanAm games and the Olympics. It's been done before.
But wasn't Global Jam in mid-July last year? This seems like it would require her to miss part of the June summer session, unless she'd no need to do any pre tournament practicing. I just don't know that I see that happening this year with the Europe games happening in August but practice for them beginning in July, Americup in early July and the summer session which has been talked about as very important in June.

And while its been done before I think in this specific circumstance - Aaliyah is recovering from her broken nose repair from earlier in the year right now and bad ankle injuries and not playing, a summer session that has been talked about as very important to be apart of by the head coach since January, a European tour in August, and a team that has been extraordinarily injury prone - it doesn't seem wise to put that much stress and wear and tear on the body in the offseason that I don't see it being encouraged by the coaching staff this summer.

Reaction Score
Pretty nice list of players. Great blend of talent. What I like about all of this, the players get a different coaching philosophy and style of play.

Reaction Score
Pretty nice list of players. Great blend of talent. What I like about all of this, the players get a different coaching philosophy and style of play.

Especially for this group. Not sure how many of them have had to play FIBA rules. A good challenge for them to expand their skill sets.

Reaction Score
But wasn't Global Jam in mid-July last year? This seems like it would require her to miss part of the June summer session, unless she'd no need to do any pre tournament practicing. I just don't know that I see that happening this year with the Europe games happening in August but practice for them beginning in July, Americup in early July and the summer session which has been talked about as very important in June.

And while its been done before I think in this specific circumstance - Aaliyah is recovering from her broken nose repair from earlier in the year right now and bad ankle injuries and not playing, a summer session that has been talked about as very important to be apart of by the head coach since January, a European tour in August, and a team that has been extraordinarily injury prone - it doesn't seem wise to put that much stress and wear and tear on the body in the offseason that I don't see it being encouraged by the coaching staff this summer.

You're assuming that Canada Basketball will be running a lengthy training camp in June to prepare. That's not typical for Canada Basketball from what I've observed over the years.

For example last year, Global Jam training camp was two weeks prior the event. She was gone for about 3 weeks total in July. Her availability in June and August wasn't affected.

I also get the concern about wear and tear but the same could be said for a lot of players in general, including the players in the USA Basketball list. Aaliyah is very good at taking care of her body both on and off the court. She also is fortunate to have resources through Canada Basketball in addition to UConn when it comes to strength training.

We will see what happens over the next couple of months.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You're assuming that Canada Basketball will be running a lengthy training camp in June to prepare. That's not typical for Canada Basketball from what I've observed over the years.

For example last year, Global Jam training camp was two weeks prior the event. She was gone for about 3 weeks total in July. Her availability in June and August wasn't affected.

I also get the concern about wear and tear but the same could be said for a lot of players in general, including the players in the USA Basketball list. Aaliyah is very good at taking care of her body both on and off the court. She also is fortunate to have resources through Canada Basketball in addition to UConn when it comes to strength training.

We will see what happens over the next couple of months.
It's an interesting point about "wear and tear" that you bring up. In regards to Notre Dame, Citron was a regular on U.S.A. International Basketball Teams (and quite a performer at that), but she's nowhere to be found on this roster (nor are other Irish U.S.A. peformers, such as KK Bransford or Maddy Westbeld).

None of them are injured and I'm not aware of any international trips prior to the season opener in Paris, so I'm wondering if Coach Ivey is trying to cut down on usage, so to speak. Or, if U.S.A. Basketball is trying to expand its pool in this particular tournament.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting point about "wear and tear" that you bring up. In regards to Notre Dame, Citron was a regular on U.S.A. International Basketball Teams (and quite a performer at that), but she's nowhere to be found on this roster (nor are other Irish U.S.A. peformers, such as KK Bransford or Maddy Westbeld).

None of them are injured and I'm not aware of any international trips prior to the season opener in Paris, so I'm wondering if Coach Ivey is trying to cut down on usage, so to speak. Or, if U.S.A. Basketball is trying to expand its pool in this particular tournament.

I was curious about that as well. The US list is very diverse as I don't recall players like Flaujae Johnson getting opportunities with USA Basketball in the past. Personally, I think it's good for a lot of them especially if they haven't had much experience with FIBA rules. Dealing with a different shot clock and situations, like not being able to call time outs while game is in progress, will be good for them.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is a senior this year, so with her final year approaching she would not do anything to disrupt her focus on next season. She will be drafted next April, so anything other than her participation in everything UConn would not be on her agenda. If Canada wants her, she will be available when she becomes a pro. Until then, hands off!

Reaction Score
I was curious about that as well. The US list is very diverse as I don't recall players like Flaujae Johnson getting opportunities with USA Basketball in the past. Personally, I think it's good for a lot of them especially if they haven't had much experience with FIBA rules. Dealing with a different shot clock and situations, like not being able to call time outs while game is in progress, will be good for them.
They will find the physical nature of FIBA basketball a lot different.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is a senior this year, so with her final year approaching she would not do anything to disrupt her focus on next season. She will be drafted next April, so anything other than her participation in everything UConn would not be on her agenda. If Canada wants her, she will be available when she becomes a pro. Until then, hands off!
You're basing this off of what facts? Similar to my comments, this sounds more like an opinion than confirmation.

Reaction Score

I think the reference was to her Olympic team experience which came just before her sophomore season.

Reaction Score
Does anyone write standard English any more?
I see the error, and also understand what you’re saying. However, sometimes the electronic gadgets replace the correctly spelt word(s) with their own. It has happened to me on many occasions, but the key is to read the messages before we hit “send”.

Reaction Score
I think the reference was to her Olympic team experience which came just before her sophomore season.
Which is understandable however the person who posted forgot what transpired last summer. Noting regression is one thing but when there is a example where it didn't hinder her development, it should also be noted.

Reaction Score
Which is understandable however the person who posted forgot what transpired last summer. Noting regression is one thing but when there is a example where it didn't hinder her development, it should also be noted.

at your message level you should know better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom