Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Prufreading is a lost art.
I though i wahs a grate profradar unto I rote a novI

Seriously, I proofread all of my staff’s work over decades and caught many errors. For my one published novel I must’ve read through it a dozen times, had others with reading skills look through it and still my publisher found some errors. Your eye and brain play tricks when you’re proofing, especially your own work. I have a friend who has written engineering text books. He found that actually proofing backward, from end to beginning, makes errors easier to identify. I dint knw.

Reaction Score
A few years ago when I was working , before sending out a letter or a lengthy email, I printed drafts on yellow or orange paper, and found it easier to pick up errors that way.

Somehow, the misspellings or errors in grammar, came into sharper focus.

Reaction Score
He should play max 10 mpg right now until he does get hot, because he really doesn’t offer much else.
It's 1 game so for all we know it could change again by Tuesday, but Hurley said if the upperclassmen continue to not perform changes would come and then Polley played 11 minutes and Gaffney 7 against Marquette. So it certainly seems like this will happen

Reaction Score
Haven't studied Polley as well as I should have.

But, I can't figure out if his problem is other players not finding him when he is open, or if he doesn't get enough screens from other players, or if he take too long to shoot when he does get a screen and then the defender sheds the screen?

He cannot seem to make a shot off a dribble or keep moving without the ball so he can be found by a teammate.

When he has scored, it seems he was open and undefended so he could get off his shot.

Maybe, he has maxed out his potential and that is the way it is.

Still, if he followed his shot when missed, that should create possibilities for offensive rebounds. In other words, he should be crashing the boards and that should be a cultivated habit.

Reaction Score
It's 1 game so for all we know it could change again by Tuesday, but Hurley said if the upperclassmen continue to not perform changes would come and then Polley played 11 minutes and Gaffney 7 against Marquette. So it certainly seems like this will happen

I think those are fair minutes for those two until they show they can do more--and they very well may. I had no complaints about minutes allocation last week.

The tough part is always going to be the load on Cole... everyone else has a backup. He can play 35 minutes a game, but it's a tough ask for him with him being leaned on SO much as a ballhandler.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A few years ago when I was working , before sending out a letter or a lengthy email, I printed drafts on yellow or orange paper, and found it easier to pick up errors that way.

Devices like spell check and autocorrect are useful within limits. Autocorrect guesses wrong too often. Spell check will never pick up errors like “led” vs “lead”or ”reed” vs “read” or “red”. Grammar check is horrible for fiction writing, especially for dialogue. People don’t always speak grammatically well and some characters are meant to speak without good grammar. Grammar check hates the passive voice.

I don’t comment directly on people making grammatical errors in posts. Suffice to say that ”would’ve”, ”could’ve“ and “should’ve” are conjunctions for “would have” “could have” etc, not ”would of” etc. I notice lots of that. Plus incorrectly using personal pronouns like “I” instead of “me” and vice versa, ”he” and “him” and “she” and “her”. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter for most situations.

Reaction Score
Devices like spell check and autocorrect are useful within limits. Autocorrect guesses wrong too often. Spell check will never pick up errors like “led” vs “lead”or ”reed” vs “read” or “red”. Grammar check is horrible for fiction writing, especially for dialogue. People don’t always speak grammatically well and some characters are meant to speak without good grammar. Grammar check hates the passive voice.

I don’t comment directly on people making grammatical errors in posts. Suffice to say that ”would’ve”, ”could’ve“ and “should’ve” are conjunctions for “would have” “could have” etc, not ”would of” etc. I notice lots of that. Plus incorrectly using personal pronouns like “I” instead of “me” and vice versa, ”he” and “him” and “she” and “her”. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter for most situations.
Sometimes when I was in business and conversing with clients who were not well-educated, I would use technically incorrect grammar.

I did not want to appear snobbish or stilted. For example, I would say "me" and you" have a common goal instead of "you and I."

I might a said, or might of said, instead of might have said, "I could uh, could of, or " or "We could of," if that would make the client relate better. I wasn't talking down to them, but I wanted to relate.

I writing , it was a different story and with the letters I tried to be spot on with the grammar.

The BY is an informal setting and we all trying to relax and frankly, the unintentional grammatical errors which I am sure I have made, add humor to the posts. Or sometimes , add a different meaning, or a demeaning, especially talking about other teams' coaches.

Whether intentional or unintentional, it is enjoyable and nice to read.

Very true words below:

People don’t always speak grammatically well and some characters are meant to speak without good grammar.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sometimes when I was in business and conversing with clients who were not well-educated, I would use technically incorrect grammar.

I did not want to appear snobbish or stilted. For example, I would say "me" and you" have a common goal instead of "you and I."

I might a said, or might of said, instead of might have said, "I could uh, could of, or " or "We could of," if that would make the client relate better. I wasn't talking down to them, but I wanted to relate.

I writing , it was a different story and with the letters I tried to be spot on with the grammar.

The BY is an informal setting and we all trying to relax and frankly, the unintentional grammatical errors which I am sure I have made, add humor to the posts. Or sometimes , add a different meaning, or a demeaning, especially talking about other teams' coaches.

Whether intentional or unintentional, it is enjoyable and nice to read.

Very true words below:

People don’t always speak grammatically well and some characters are meant to speak without good grammar.
Pre-COVID, my wife and I often traveled with another couple, of which the male spoke as if he never had an English grammar lesson. A great guy and while I might cringe inwardly especially when we were with other people, I never corrected him. Besides, him‘s a UConn fan.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Polley will get hot and go on a run at some point. He always does. Let’s hope it’s soon. I’m not really concerned about Polley at all
At this point we can't count on that. UConn stats posted his percentage from 3 the last 2 seasons outside of his random explosion games, it was somewhere in the 20s... This is probably what he is.

Reaction Score
So when does he have to decide to come early or not?
Latest would be the date UConn students must register for classes for the spring semester. But the decision has already been made. I highly doubt he's at home still debating whether he's enrolling at UConn in a few weeks or going back to IMG after the holidays.

Reaction Score

KARABAN IS ON HIS WAY?

UConn’s recent COVID disruption throws a minor wrench in the plans for Class of 2022 commit Alex Karaban to potentially leave IMG Academy and enroll at Storrs early. That could still happen within the next week or so, though it’s not a certainty yet. The staff began talking about the possibility of enrolling early with Karaban as far back as the summer, and the 6-foot-7 forward told Hearst Connecticut Media last month that it was “definitely a possibility.”

It’s still likely that Karaban, who is back at his Massachusetts home on a long winter break from IMG, enrolls early at UConn. If he does, he would not play this season but rather practice with the team and hope to get stronger and more prepared as a redshirt freshman next season.

Here’s why UConn was unable to field seven healthy players for game against Xavier

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has shot below 30% from 3 against Kenpom Tier A+B teams over his career. He’s fun once in a while but you can’t rely on him
All while adding worst on the team defense and rebounding and no discernable ball handling or passing skills. His career 2pt FG% is .417. It has declined every year since he was a sophomore. He really shouldn't play much.

Hawkins is the guy who needs to find his shot, and his defense. Those minutes still have a lot of potential upside.

Reaction Score

We have all developed our own techniques. In my case, I found that reading the email one more time after hitting send would make previously missed errors instantly apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom