Akok? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok?

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can take a kid who has basically missed 1.5-2 years of development due to injury and pencil him in to start on a contending team. Akok hopefully will be good to go and improved next year, but we’re much safer assuming he won’t be. Place no expectations on him
I assumed you were talking about his health not his game.

Reaction Score
Might we have seen the last of Akok playing in a UConn uni? Just not sure this is how he envisioned his Storrs experience so far.

Reaction Score
Might we have seen the last of Akok playing in a UConn uni? Just not sure this is how he envisioned his Storrs experience so far.
Come on man! I’m just wondering what the real story is with him. It’s difficult to get any accurate information on him. The announcers don’t even mention him being out, just Bouk. I NEED him back, I meant we NEED him back. Just want us healthy, does anyone think Bouk would take a shot at one more year to be a lottery pick? I’d kind of like to think my would be in a seat watching our 5th.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Who's Richie?

A forward on the basketball team????

Screenshot_20210126-210011.png

Reaction Score
I tore my Achillies almost 13 years ago to the day, while I was in my mid-20's. I had never had shin discomfort before that and I am not surprised Akok is going through the same.
Those lower leg calf muscles need to condition at competition level and Akok will need to build confidence. But if he can come around, it’s 40 full minutes of rim protection between him and Whaley.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It sure seems that way. When he is out there there is little impact. For what I have seen lately. Sounds like another AG story. Sad but true. We have guys out there that are working their butts off. If Akok plays it is only to give breathers.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen it explicitly stated in any quotes from DH/UConn BB but am assuming its the same leg as the Achilles injury. And yes.It does matter which leg it is.

Hard to imagine AA leaving Program for the next level until he gets his legs right. His current playing resume with the parts of his game that need work.Isn't the most compelling.

Wish him well and speedy recovery.DH/staff will need to work hard to keep his head on straight.He's a great teammate and a high character kid. Hope it works out the way he wants it to.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Haven't seen it explicitly stated in any quotes from DH/UConn BB but am assuming its the same leg as the Achilles injury. And yes.It does matter which leg it is.

Hard to imagine AA leaving Program for the next level until he gets his legs right. His current playing resume with the parts of his game that need work.Isn't the most compelling.

Wish him well and speedy recovery.DH/staff will need to work hard to keep his head on straight.He's a great teammate and a high character kid. Hope it works out the way he wants it to.

I believe Hurley said its the other leg in his post-game video.

Reaction Score
Hurley is looking out for Akok's career but I'm not sure if Akok sees it like that right now. He known to be a very proud, hard working guy that treats basketball as a serious profession already. He spent the spring and summer on campus rehabbing in isolation and working his tail off. Akok and Hurley had a very specific 2.5 year plan for him at UConn and the injury and the pandemic has ruined this plan and also damaged Akok's prospects. Remember, he is already 21 years old. Hopefully he can get some minutes and make an impact soon.

Reaction Score
Hurley is looking out for Akok's career but I'm not sure if Akok sees it like that right now. He known to be a very proud, hard working guy that treats basketball as a serious profession already. He spent the spring and summer on campus rehabbing in isolation and working his tail off. Akok and Hurley had a very specific 2.5 year plan for him at UConn and the injury and the pandemic has ruined this plan and also damaged Akok's prospects. Remember, he is already 21 years old. Hopefully he can get some minutes and make an impact soon.
I hear you Kenny. Really feel bad for AA. But as you know. "Stuff" happens in Life and in BB.

Not a Dr. And realize AA has/had a timeline. Complicated situation for DH/AA.

Reaction Score
Could be a badly bruised shin, which can be quite painful. However ...

The other possibility is obviously that a "bruised shin" in a basketball player just coming back from injury, and working up to playing level is often a tibial stress reaction/early stress fracture. Which would explain there being no timeline for return.

Though I'm not sure why you wouldn't just say that if it were so.

Again, just musings, no inside information.
Doc. Since it has been stated that the shin bruise was on the leg with the non-injured Achilles(the "good leg"). Along with your statement above re: a tibial stress reaction. Would like to ask the following question.

In your experience/your opinion. Is it a common occurrence for recovering athletes to over-compensate with their "good leg" when rehabbing/getting into playing shape? Not sure that this is what is going on but I respect your opinion and am curious if you're not necessarily surprised about this development with AA given what you know about his condition. Irrespective of whether it was a practice injury or a game injury and how it happened. ie. Was he accidentally kicked by a teammate in practice or something like that. Or just the 'breaking down" of the shin/leg.

BTW/FWIW. I consider UConn's trainers/medical staff/consulting drs to be top-notch. This line of questioning is not about them. Its about AA and his unique situation.

Appreciate your input. Your medical insight(s) is/are very educational.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Doc. Since it has been stated that the shin bruise was on the leg with the non-injured Achilles(the "good leg"). Along with your statement above re: a tibial stress reaction. Would like to ask the following question.

In your experience/your opinion. Is it a common occurrence for recovering athletes to over-compensate with their "good leg" when rehabbing/getting into playing shape? Not sure that this is what is going on but I respect your opinion and am curious if you're not necessarily surprised about this development with AA given what you know about his condition. Irrespective of whether it was a practice injury or a game injury and how it happened. ie. Was he accidentally kicked by a teammate in practice or something like that. Or just the 'breaking down" of the shin/leg.

BTW/FWIW. I consider UConn's trainers/medical staff/consulting drs to be top-notch. This line of questioning is not about them. Its about AA and his unique situation.

Appreciate your input. Your medical insight(s) is/are very educational.
Yes, they are excellent, I know several of the docs from sports medicine meetings.

If it is an overuse type of problem (and obviously I don't know the specific circumstances) it could certainly occur in either leg. Spending time on crutches, then without impact loading, the bones tend to remodel to adjust to the reduced workload. That's why it's important to ramp up slowly. An Achilles repair may be solidly healed, but it takes time for bone to re-build back to the prior level of strength. Also, with an Achilles there are alterations in gait that have to be corrected to get back to normal, which can increase stress on either leg depending on the gait disturbance.

That's a long way of saying yes, it can easily happen, and I'm not terribly surprised. Sports docs go to great lengths to try to minimize these biological issues, with early ROM and mildly stressful activities as the injury allows. And yet still they can happen.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are excellent, I know several of the docs from sports medicine meetings.

If it is an overuse type of problem (and obviously I don't know the specific circumstances) it could certainly occur in either leg. Spending time on crutches, then without impact loading, the bones tend to remodel to adjust to the reduced workload. That's why it's important to ramp up slowly. An Achilles repair may be solidly healed, but it takes time for bone to re-build back to the prior level of strength. Also, with an Achilles there are alterations in gait that have to be corrected to get back to normal, which can increase stress on either leg depending on the gait disturbance.

That's a long way of saying yes, it can easily happen, and I'm not terribly surprised. Sports docs go to great lengths to try to minimize these biological issues, with early ROM and mildly stressful activities as the injury allows. And yet still they can happen.
Thanks for investing the time in your reply.. Helps me understand the significance of the challenges AA is having and has had and how/why the staff is approaching his "return" the way they are. Especially with this new development.

On an unrelated yet related note.. Back in the day I was playing some BB ..Turning upcourt next to one of my teammates(who happened to be a close friend and an excellent athlete).. And at that moment. He tore his Achilles 5-10 ft from me. .It is/was a sound I will never forget.

Thanks again for weighing in on this.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom