AJax already in a 2022 mock NBA draft! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AJax already in a 2022 mock NBA draft!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the gyms and courts are were (everrthing is screwed up now, including pickup) filled with guys who jump out of the gym and can see the floor, but can't actually score. tuned in to that truth, the common response is 'just box him out, but iffn he's outside, help with someone else.'
will he score? idk, but im hoping.
mark jackson could see an assist in the cab on the way to the game, but his shooting? let's just say his sidearm was a mason's trowel. a pass is not a shot.
mean streets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The floor of this team is pretty solid, they’ll win games based off their defense and a solid core of RJ, Adama, Tyrese, and Whaley. The ceiling of this team really comes down to two players IMO: AJax & Gaffney. We sort of know what to expect from everyone else, but how big of a jump can these two make? They both flash and have talent. If either or both can make a significant jump, they’ll contend for top 3 in the Big East again.
Our floor is top 3 in the Big East, if those things happen we can dethrone Nova. Everyone has us #2 in the Big East.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The floor of this team is pretty solid, they’ll win games based off their defense and a solid core of RJ, Adama, Tyrese, and Whaley. The ceiling of this team really comes down to two players IMO: AJax & Gaffney. We sort of know what to expect from everyone else, but how big of a jump can these two make? They both flash and have talent. If either or both can make a significant jump, they’ll contend for top 3 in the Big East again.
'We sort of know what to expect from everyone else'
we do?
i certainly don't, and i'd sure like to know,
will akok be 15ppg, or 7?
will jordan be 37% or 28%?
will ritchie be 6 rpg, or 2?
will samson bring swagger, or will he be a shrinking violet?
i am confident that mr diggins will demonstrate leadership ability, and mr floyd will be stout and bring it every game, yet.....
who is tyler polley? is he still going to the league?

cf, 'preseason mlb expert predictions,' or not. not safe for children, cuz u'll see things like 90+ wins for the mets, 70+ wins for the giants, the rays falling apart, minnesota wins the central, etc.
salvador perez is currently at 46 hrs and 115 rbis. who?
he just broke johnny bench's record for catcher hrs.

im not even sure that last years squad was 'better' than the 19-20 squad, and their awesome finishing stretch, but to be fair, things were kinda messed up last year.
and let's pretend that houston, they of last year's final four, didn't snatch up Josh Carlton in like a nanosecond after he became available. yeah, let's pretend that didn't happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our floor is top 3 in the Big East, if those things happen we can dethrone Nova. Everyone has us #2 in the Big East.
The floor for this team is not top 3. Floor is saying if things don’t work out well, they’ll at least compete at that level. I’m hopeful for this team and think they finish at 3 but the concerns about scoring are still something to monitor. If they don’t work through that stuff, Xavier, Seton Hall, St John’s will all finish ahead of Uconn.

Reaction Score
'We sort of know what to expect from everyone else'
we do?
i certainly don't, and i'd sure like to know,
will akok be 15ppg, or 7?
will jordan be 37% or 28%?
will ritchie be 6 rpg, or 2?
will samson bring swagger, or will he be a shrinking violet?
i am confident that mr diggins will demonstrate leadership ability, and mr floyd will be stout and bring it every game, yet.....
who is tyler polley? is he still going to the league?

cf, 'preseason mlb expert predictions,' or not. not safe for children, cuz u'll see things like 90+ wins for the mets, 70+ wins for the giants, the rays falling apart, minnesota wins the central, etc.
salvador perez is currently at 46 hrs and 115 rbis. who?
he just broke johnny bench's record for catcher hrs.

im not even sure that last years squad was 'better' than the 19-20 squad, and their awesome finishing stretch, but to be fair, things were kinda messed up last year.
and let's pretend that houston, they of last year's final four, didn't snatch up Josh Carlton in like a nanosecond after he became available. yeah, let's pretend that didn't happen.
What I mean is, it’s easier to project some of the players for the upcoming season in terms of what they’ll be. We often overpoject players but when you look at it, things are starting to come into the pictue Cole leads the attack with Sanogo and Martin as the likely top 3 scorers. Whaley is a nice piece and maybe he gets to double digits but he won’t all of the sudden double his scoring output. Polley is what he is: one game hot, another game little output. Don’t think that really changes.

Springs, Johnson, Floyd (if he doesn’t redshirt) prolly get some burn but I’m not expecting much production there just based on the depth of the team. Diggins prolly has a similar impact that Gaff had his freshman year; won’t start but I can see him coming on towards end of the season. Hawkins looks like a nice piece, but it’s hard for a freshman to come in and be a consistent double digit scorer each night. Would love to see that happen but I’d be surprised if he puts up the numbers Bouk did as a freshman. If Akok can push Whaley to the bench, I’ll be happy, means he’s elevated his game a lot but either way I’d be shocked if he’s all of the sudden a 15 PPG player, I don’t see a path for that.

I’m not sure how to project AJax and Gaff for next season but they both have potential. If either or both can make a big leap, it’ll go a long way, the team needs it. I think they’re both wildcards in a sense.

Reaction Score
The floor for this team is not top 3. Floor is saying if things don’t work out well, they’ll at least compete at that level. I’m hopeful for this team and think they finish at 3 but the concerns about scoring are still something to monitor. If they don’t work through that stuff, Xavier, Seton Hall, St John’s will all finish ahead of Uconn.
He's right, the floor is top 3 with this team. Even if things don't work out and no go to scorer emerges I don't see any scenario we're not top 3 at the end of the year. And I expect to have a much better season than that

Reaction Score
He's right, the floor is top 3 with this team. Even if things don't work out and no go to scorer emerges I don't see any scenario we're not top 3 at the end of the year. And I expect to have a much better season than that
I’m happy to be wrong, I’m hoping they are in the top 3 and would pick them probably at 3. But Xavier, Seton Hall, and St John’s have all improved, it’s not going to be easy.

Reaction Score
Based on his athleticism, defense, court vision and potential he should get to the NBA. Even if he doesn’t pan out to be a star or even a role player a end of the bench player in the NBA can hang around for years as long as they work hard and hustle in practice and stay positive. Coaches love players like that because they are giving 100% and are happy to just be in the league.

I think Ajax can make a bigger impact in the league than just being that bench player. He kinda reminds me of a Paul Pressey type. Pressey had a ugly shot but also had the other skills that Jackson has. A very good defender, passer and someone who new what his role was. I think Jackson might be just an inch taller than Pressey but Pressey played mostly as a point forward who relied on his driving, slashing and posting up. He was not and didn’t have to be a big scorer because that was not his game.

I see him as a 2023 draft and am expecting much improvement over the next 2 years.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm obviously rooting for the kid, but I haven't seen too many kids go pro with stats like his as a freshman. It's going to take A LOT of work and many things to bounce his way. He's good for dunks and boards IMO. I just remember watching games and yelling at him to just pass the ball and not shoot every single time he touched it. I know the place will go nuts in a close game when we get a steal and break out dunk by AJax.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You are aware he was a freshmen in a year of injury and covid delays. Really cost him a lot of development time. I fully expect to see a totally different player this season.
Fully aware. I watch every game and DH presser. I hope he makes me eat my words.

Reaction Score
I'm obviously rooting for the kid, but I haven't seen too many kids go pro with stats like his as a freshman. It's going to take A LOT of work and many things to bounce his way. He's good for dunks and boards IMO. I just remember watching games and yelling at him to just pass the ball and not shoot every single time he touched it. I know the place will go nuts in a close game when we get a steal and break out dunk by AJax.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6
I'm not sure we watched the same games last year. If there was one part of his game that was a strength last year it was his passing, it's one of the biggest reasons he has next level potential

Reaction Score
He needs to learn to shoot, score and defend. He had a ton of fouls last year, largely because he was out of position and tried to use his athleticm to recover. That is AAU ball. You can’t do that at the D1 level. The other guys are too good. I think you can learn to play really good defense but you have to want to do it Or have a coach who makes you do it. Most guys don‘t want it because a. it doesn’t get you into the nba, b. it is hard. So he needs to become a scorer. Which is also pretty difficult if it isn’t natural. I think he has great athletic ability, but I wonder whether he is just another AAU player. That’s my term for guys who got to where they got on athleticism but never really become great players because they always fall back on that. It works less and less well when your opponents have more talent.

He is the toughest guy to figure on the whole team, I think. He might be a star. He might be a back up/ situational sub. He absolutely is a highlight film waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
Saying he has zero chance of making the NBA is just flat out wrong. 1st round pick after his sophomore year is a steep hill to climb but if he shows even a half decent shot it'll happen. But I don't see any chance he's not in the NBA eventually, he has way too much talent and every team will think they have a star if they can fix his shooting
He somewhat reminds me of Zach Levine if he can tighten his handle. His athleticism, vision, improvement in defense will get him to the league. How good of a piece he becomes is based on if he can improve his shot and handle

Reaction Score
He somewhat reminds me of Zach Levine if he can tighten his handle. His athleticism, vision, improvement in defense will get him to the league. How good of a piece he becomes is based on if he can improve his shot and handle
That's the comp I always think of too since I thought the knock was always with his shooting. I'm not sure if I just imagined it but his shooting numbers don't seem all that bad (37.5% in college from 3, 34 and 38% his first 2 years)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom