Adubs European "vacation" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adubs European "vacation"

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Here I am reading this thinking how I thought my trip to Spain/Portugal earlier this year was a nightmare with the plane getting turned around from Madrid-Lisboa due to engine failure forcing a 6 hour layover. Get better ADub, this sounds horrible.

Reaction Score
Hope you’re both ok and managing well!

Just came back from Europe. Flew Boston > Paris CDG > Naples on the way there on Air France and Naples > London LHR > Boston on BA, both in business class, had two hour layovers in both directions (CDG and LHR).Somehow managed to get through without any delays, cancellations, or bags being lost.

Stories like this is why I always have a stack of credit card points available to use. While last minute bookings skyrocket in price, the points required to book a hotel/flight remain relatively static throughout. For example, the Hyatt Regency "The Churchill" is $720 tonight, the points required to book through hyatt is 29,000 ($290). You can have Hyatt points or transfer Chase points to Hyatt.

Another example, while a one way JFK>CDG on Air France for tomorrow night would be $5,600, the points required to book it on Air France is 55,000 ($550). You can transfer Chase, Amex, and Capital One points to Air France. They're a lifesaver in situations like this.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ok I’m trying to keep my journey in order, and I am and have been in Alva for a few days since leaving Edinburgh Monday afternoon it is a tiny town in the hills, northwest of Edinburgh. We were supposed to share an air bnb with my GFs best friend and her parents from CT who now live win holland and wales respectively, but when we showed up from Edinburgh with the Covid obviously had to separate.
Anyway Monday evening on the way in we stopped at a Tesco about 12 miles from here just for some paracetamol ( tylenol ) and ibuprofen and some charcuterie style snacks and coffee and stuff. Well we’ve been laid out since and obviously not that hungry so since then we’ve been nibbling on cheese and crackers. That’s pretty much it.

Well its Thursday now and we are out of paracetamol and I need some real food so here is a live Adub lookin at 2 pm in the afternoon, wandering the metropolis of Alva for the first time since being here. First stop? Pharmacy!

August_West

Reaction Score
Oops the only pharmacy in town is closed at 2pm in afternoon. :-(

D2E4F471-F625-43A0-9D56-EA3BE8EA4085.jpeg

August_West

Reaction Score
But wait I found an open shop!!!!!

What the hell is a Turkish Barber? Do they cut your hair with a scimitar? Why is it the only shop open in Alva, Scotland at 2pm on a Thursday?

I must have the answer to these questions.

I’m going in.
54363B91-61D4-43B9-9EA0-CC12D393671B.jpeg

August_West

Reaction Score
And if I come out alive I will pick back up the story from Heathrow last week.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok nothing to see here with the Turkish barber . No scimitar . Just an affable nitwit cutting hair. Offered to trim my beard and give me a hot towel neck shave, actually sounded good, but I don’t want to get him sick. Gonna walk back to air bnb now.

Reaction Score
First, thanks for the entertainment? I'm freaking my wife out by giving her your blow by blow. We are taking a simple trip to a beach down south with her family next week. She's stressed about the travel and COVID requiring us to cancel. I thought your stories would make her more relaxed. I did not read that situation correctly.

Next, I hope everyone gets better. It's really the most important part of your story.

Finally, enjoy your trip? One of the better trips I had was a disastrous ski trip of cancelled flights and hotels. Once I got to the point of capitulation, I fell into a calm peacefulness. My kids thought I had snapped when I wasn't freaking out. I just told myself how lucky I was to be able to take the vacation in the first place, and even luckier to be able to adapt and book random hotels in random places.... Then I got the credit card bill a few weeks later and freaked out again, but we still laugh about the trip.

August_West

Reaction Score
OK calling an Uber now to take me to Stirling that should only be another 500 pounds (if the rest of the trip has been any indicator) where there is semi civilization and I can get some food and medicine for my GF and soon to be child. In the meantime Lets try and finish up the BA can pound sand portion of this journal.

............... So we got into Heathrow fine at about a 6PM london time. Customs was disaster. Only a couple lanes open for baggage inspection and 100's of people waiting. Again no workers at hell hellhole that is now Heathrow. Took us bit over 2 hours to get through. So we get through into Terminal 5 at around 8PM, fight to Glasgow at 10:30 pm, plenty of time to grab a bite and maybe 7 scotches for me, in the posh BA club lounge while we wait. Our morning flight out of JFK served breakfast and then light snack before landing. And then after all the time in customs its after 8pm and that was way too long already for an always hungry pregnant woman not to eat.

Get into BA lounge and hear our flight has been pushed back to 1130. I knew already it was going to get cancelled, but BA tries to maintain their charade until last minute. So we decide to try and eat . Whelp the BA lounge which is usually a pretty posh layover experience, was totally wrecked. It looked like a Denny's in a college town at 4 am once all the kids are finished destroying it after their late night post club nosh. I went for a scotch, the self serve bar was totally decimated, every bottle empty, except for a bottle of triple sec, lol. I skipped it and went to find GF who was not faring much better in the food section of the lounge. We did find some soup and had both served ourselves bowls of it when the cancellations got announced overhead. Not just ours to Glasgow, but Edinburgh and Manchester connectors too. The lounge emptied faster than mass shooting scare as everyone ran out to the lone BA booth in the middle of Terminal 5. 500 people in line, ONE CSR AT THE BOOTH! The queue time was estimated at 5 hours. And it was already 9 PM this was just going to get worse. Meanwhile BA knows this and emails and texts you numbers to call to adjust arrangements. Guess what? Those numbers repeated the same messages I got before we left on the trip, "due to call volume we cannot take your call at this time, please try again at a later date"

There was no way I could let BA control our fate any longer. It would mean actual DAYS of being stranded in Heathrow.

So I told GF that we need to forget BA and just get down to luggage and get the one bag we checked (we knew going in they would screw us and we did everything humanly possible to get everything in Carry on, but that is real tough for a 17 day trip and a few days of formal wear, but we were smart enough to make sure the stuff for the wedding was all carried on and put our later stuff in the checked bag.

Well, they wouldnt let us down to baggage and arrivals because our destination wasn't london, thus we had to hatch a plan entitled "Escape from Heathrow"............... my Uber is almost in now, we will get to that portion when Im back...............

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So who is going to be the one to post the "RIP ADub" post? Maybe just start drafting it now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ok nothing to see here with the Turkish barber . No scimitar . Just an affable nitwit cutting hair. Offered to trim my beard and give me a hot towel neck shave, actually sounded good, but I don’t want to get him sick. Gonna walk back to air bnb now.

I've got some friends who say Turkish barbers are great for stuffing some warm wax in your ears, letting it set up and then ripping it out. Supposedly gets all them scraggly ear hairs and any other crud you've been building up inside your ears. they swear by it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you die, I'm gonna feel really bad about not making it to Southington back on 7/3 :(

God help you. Instagram weddings are the worst and it feels like every couple I know wants to get married now that things are open after Covid. And no one can just have a normal wedding at a local venue or their house. It needs to be am event FOR THE AGES.
I just went to a wedding for the ages a couple of weeks ago. It was in Ridgefield. Nobody wore tuxes. It was held outside in the gardens at Keeler Tavern in Ridgefield. And as it was hot outside, the bride and groom ensured everyone seated was hydrated by passing out ice cold Schaefers and White Claws just before the bride came down the aisle.

That to me made it the most memorable wedding I've been to that wasn't one of my own.

August_West

Reaction Score
My first thought after reading most of this is the only way to salvage any of this trip is if you guys all get together and sacrifice your GF's sister. Throw her off a cliff near Edinburgh.

This story could be turned into a horror movie.
She and her new husband went to Skye ( most remote part of Scotland) first thing Monday morning for a mini honeymoon or it may have already happened. Lucky for her, because Edinburgh right now is littered with the US portion of the wedding who all are stuck there in expensive hotels with Covid and cancelled flights home.

Turns out that she is in bed in skye with Covid and a bad fever. Usually you would have sympathy for that happening to a newlywed, but I don’t think much sympathy is being garnered from the rest of us right now. I’ll say that.

Reaction Score
So, before the baby is born and before you put a wedding ring on her finger....you already hate her family with the passion of 1,000 white hot suns.

Great work, dumdum.

August_West

Reaction Score
So, before the baby is born and before you put a wedding ring on her finger....you already hate her family with the passion of 1,000 white hot suns.

Great work, dumdum.
Nah . Rest of the family is fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone needs to print this thread i
If you die, I'm gonna feel really bad about not making it to Southington back on 7/3 :(

I just went to a wedding for the ages a couple of weeks ago. It was in Ridgefield. Nobody wore tuxes. It was held outside in the gardens at Keeler Tavern in Ridgefield. And as it was hot outside, the bride and groom ensured everyone seated was hydrated by passing out ice cold Schaefers and White Claws just before the bride came down the aisle.

That to me made it the most memorable wedding I've been to that wasn't one of my own.

That's how to do it. Anyone who wants me in a suit between May and September can thoroughly f right off.

I don't like venues that make me feel like an outcast if I belch.

I don't like the weird garter thing.

I don't like old men that I knew when I was in high school trying to talk to me like we're friends. No thanks Mr. Smith, you caught me smoking pot when I was 16. This is weird.

It's even worse if people invite HS teachers to weddings.

And give me a break with the pinterest BS. None of you are original.

Every one of my friends were uber stressed out and hated wedding planning. Half of them are broke from it now. Meanwhile I saved the thousands they spent, still got wedding gifts for some reason.

Can you tell I'm sick of weddings? It has felt NON-STOP from ages 27-31. Been to 10, declined at least a dozen more. It's horrendous. Half these people I barely know. I got guilted for not going to a wedding while I was on a freaking vacation last summer. I literally had a wedding EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND that I wasn't in Greece between June and November.

My wedding had 4 people: me, my wife, the officiant, and her 9 year old daughter for a witness.

Reaction Score
God help you. Instagram weddings are the worst and it feels like every couple I know wants to get married now that things are open after Covid. And no one can just have a normal wedding at a local venue or their house. It needs to be am event FOR THE AGES. I have turned down something like 12 wedding invites in the past year. Bali, Mexico, LA... I am not spending 1000s to go to your wedding. We didn't even go to my sister-in-laws wedding in Mexico this spring. If you want me to go on vacation with you, then pay for it.

I think I can say it here since my wife doesn't check the yard for the first time: i hate her sister. That woman is vain, narcissistic and an absolute beeyotch.
You have to know that someone will find her and tell her, just for the entertainment value.

Reaction Score
She and her new husband went to Skye ( most remote part of Scotland) first thing Monday morning for a mini honeymoon or it may have already happened. Lucky for her, because Edinburgh right now is littered with the US portion of the wedding who all are stuck there in expensive hotels with Covid and cancelled flights home.

Turns out that she is in bed in skye with Covid and a bad fever. Usually you would have sympathy for that happening to a newlywed, but I don’t think much sympathy is being garnered from the rest of us right now. I’ll say that.
I
Have
Less than 0
Sympathy for a ruined honeymoon

Educated guess, but living this was probably even worse than it is reading it. I hear 5 guys is great in Edinburgh.

Reaction Score
Very few places up in Scotland would have AC. Edinborough is north of Edmonton in terms of latitude and not far off from Juneau.
Agree but I’ve been caught in the ‘it’s never this hot here’…before, so I always check.

The other issue is that places in Europe without ac will have windows that open….but no screens. I made the mistake of opening the window and leaving for the evening while it was light out Didn’t realize I left a Room light on. U can imagine the critters when I got back drunk at 4am.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK calling an Uber now to take me to Stirling that should only be another 500 pounds (if the rest of the trip has been any indicator) where there is semi civilization and I can get some food and medicine for my GF and soon to be child. In the meantime Lets try and finish up the BA can pound sand portion of this journal.

............... So we got into Heathrow fine at about a 6PM london time. Customs was disaster. Only a couple lanes open for baggage inspection and 100's of people waiting. Again no workers at hell hellhole that is now Heathrow. Took us bit over 2 hours to get through. So we get through into Terminal 5 at around 8PM, fight to Glasgow at 10:30 pm, plenty of time to grab a bite and maybe 7 scotches for me, in the posh BA club lounge while we wait. Our morning flight out of JFK served breakfast and then light snack before landing. And then after all the time in customs its after 8pm and that was way too long already for an always hungry pregnant woman not to eat.

Get into BA lounge and hear our flight has been pushed back to 1130. I knew already it was going to get cancelled, but BA tries to maintain their charade until last minute. So we decide to try and eat . Whelp the BA lounge which is usually a pretty posh layover experience, was totally wrecked. It looked like a Denny's in a college town at 4 am once all the kids are finished destroying it after their late night post club nosh. I went for a scotch, the self serve bar was totally decimated, every bottle empty, except for a bottle of triple sec, lol. I skipped it and went to find GF who was not faring much better in the food section of the lounge. We did find some soup and had both served ourselves bowls of it when the cancellations got announced overhead. Not just ours to Glasgow, but Edinburgh and Manchester connectors too. The lounge emptied faster than mass shooting scare as everyone ran out to the lone BA booth in the middle of Terminal 5. 500 people in line, ONE CSR AT THE BOOTH! The queue time was estimated at 5 hours. And it was already 9 PM this was just going to get worse. Meanwhile BA knows this and emails and texts you numbers to call to adjust arrangements. Guess what? Those numbers repeated the same messages I got before we left on the trip, "due to call volume we cannot take your call at this time, please try again at a later date"

There was no way I could let BA control our fate any longer. It would mean actual DAYS of being stranded in Heathrow.

So I told GF that we need to forget BA and just get down to luggage and get the one bag we checked (we knew going in they would screw us and we did everything humanly possible to get everything in Carry on, but that is real tough for a 17 day trip and a few days of formal wear, but we were smart enough to make sure the stuff for the wedding was all carried on and put our later stuff in the checked bag.

Well, they wouldnt let us down to baggage and arrivals because our destination wasn't london, thus we had to hatch a plan entitled "Escape from Heathrow"............... my Uber is almost in now, we will get to that portion when Im back...............

First of all, I hope your GF and the baby -- and you -- are o.k. Because a horrible story can get much worse if you're not.

Second, my wife and I were/are planning a flight vacation (which will be only our second one since COVID started) for October, and I had just based on airfares began to convince myself that maybe London would be o.k. Thank you for snapping me back to reality. Trip will stay domestic.

Third, I know I'm getting ahead of your story but a few travel points. I once took a morning flight to London and will never do so again -- sleep that night was utterly impossible. Second, for all your family stuck in Edinboro, my experience is that the nice hotels there are perfectly reasonable compared to a U.S. city -- certainly compared to London. And I've trained from London to Edinboro, it couldn't be easier, and with all due respect to your family if having had your travel already screwed up you miss your train because of information you're getting that's on you.

I must say, I can't wait for the story to continue. This is certainly more interesting than any UConn football game we're seen since the 2015 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom