2020 Recruiting: - Adama Sanogo | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Adama Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe someone in the know can fill us in on why he'd leave the East Coast to go to Nebraska. The coach? The weather? The league? Playing time? Being the final piece for the team's championship run?

Just read Hoiberg's Wikipedia profile and found the following:
1. NBA playing career was Ollie-esque, but without the longevity.
2. Record at Iowa St. was good (.673 overall and .567 in the Big 12)
3. NBA coaching career started at 42-40, then went steadily downhill to 5-19 when he was fired. ESPN had named him the worst coach in the league that year.
4. One year at Nebraska where he was 7-25.

Reminds me of Calipari's career. Did very well at UMass, got the big 5 year deal with the Nets and brought in Casey to teach him how to coach but was fired part way through his third year. Then parlayed his ability to sell sand to the arabs with his new found knowledge of what it takes to make it in the NBA and became the one and done merchant.

If Hoiberg gets Sanogo it's likely any hopes for UConn getting Sallis goes out the window.

Reaction Score
Nebraska is in a lot better shape here than most realize and I’d expect Seton Hall to fill their last scholarship with someone before Sanogo makes a decision.

Fairly certain an insider said Nebraska was almost definitely out because, ya know, it's Nebraska.

Reaction Score
We'll see!

We will...all I'm saying is that someone else said they were out. So conflicting reports here. You a Nebraska guy? If so...any reason you're on this board? If so...how much does it suck to be a Nebraska hoops fan? I literally cannot name one basketball player to ever play at Nebraska. Have a good weekend.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We will...all I'm saying is that someone else said they were out. So conflicting reports here. You a Nebraska guy? If so...any reason you're on this board? If so...how much does it suck to be a Nebraska hoops fan? I literally cannot name one basketball player to ever play at Nebraska. Have a good weekend.
UConn grad and lifelong Nebraska fan (avi should say that). Abdelmassih is a heck of a NY recruiter. I wouldn't expect you to be able to name one- they've been pretty bad for a long time but most people that follow hoops get Tyronn Lue. Hope you have a good weekend too and you and your family stay safe!

Reaction Score
UConn grad and lifelong Nebraska fan (avi should say that). Abdelmassih is a heck of a NY recruiter. I wouldn't expect you to be able to name one- they've been pretty bad for a long time but most people that follow hoops get Tyronn Lue. Hope you have a good weekend too and you and your family stay safe!

Got it...yes...I should have known Lue actually. Definitely a good recruiter...just seems like a tall task to get a kid from the East coast to get out to Nebraska...especially with current travel restrictions.

Who does your allegiance lie with in terms of recruiting? UConn and Nebraska don't often compete for the same guys, but if you had the choice of where you want him to go, what would you choose?

I'm from CT and a lifelong UConn fan but I went to Wake Forest (and still live in NC). I lean UConn for hoops and Wake for football.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe someone in the know can fill us in on why he'd leave the East Coast to go to Nebraska. The coach? The weather? The league? Playing time? Being the final piece for the team's championship run?

Just read Hoiberg's Wikipedia profile and found the following:
1. NBA playing career was Ollie-esque, but without the longevity.
2. Record at Iowa St. was good (.673 overall and .567 in the Big 12)
3. NBA coaching career started at 42-40, then went steadily downhill to 5-19 when he was fired. ESPN had named him the worst coach in the league that year.
4. One year at Nebraska where he was 7-25.

Reminds me of Calipari's career. Did very well at UMass, got the big 5 year deal with the Nets and brought in Casey to teach him how to coach but was fired part way through his third year. Then parlayed his ability to sell sand to the arabs with his new found knowledge of what it takes to make it in the NBA and became the one and done merchant.

If Hoiberg gets Sanogo it's likely any hopes for UConn getting Sallis goes out the window.

I don't think Sanogo is thinking about this the way Watchdog is. Just a hunch.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Got it...yes...I should have known Lue actually. Definitely a good recruiter...just seems like a tall task to get a kid from the East coast to get out to Nebraska...especially with current travel restrictions.

Who does your allegiance lie with in terms of recruiting? UConn and Nebraska don't often compete for the same guys, but if you had the choice of where you want him to go, what would you choose?

I'm from CT and a lifelong UConn fan but I went to Wake Forest (and still live in NC). I lean UConn for hoops and Wake for football.

I'm a Wake MBA living in Charlotte. Peep your DM's.

Reaction Score

I'm a Wake MBA living in Charlotte. Peep your DM's.
Queen City representing! I live in Charlotte as well.

Hard for me to picture a potential reclass recruit from the East Coast goin out to Nebraska in this climate. But who knows... I will say, Hoiberg is a good coach, he’ll figure it out at Nebraska. He had some really good teams at ISU. He’ll turn Nebraska into Transfer U and I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns them into a somewhat consistent tourney team. In a great conference, if he gets the right guys he can definitely turn that program around.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20200417-183324_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Did our virtual happen yet? Kept reading he was trying to schedule one, never saw updates on it happening

Reaction Score
Just learned the term "zumping." (Dumping via Zoom) Obviously what he was doing with Pitt.

C

Chief00

Zoom bombing his "visits"?
I have been trying to get the staff to use better technology, there are other options much better than Zoom. But, I guess it’s a relatively old clunky product they are comfortable with, like an old shoe.

Reaction Score
What other free apps like zoom are out there?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that was all based on thinking it might take that long for the SAT/ACT waiver. that’s really the key not some arbitrary date. if this issue gets resolved quicker - this will move much faster.

Hate to say it, but this feels like Kofi and Precious all over again when suddenly he does a virtual visit with Jeff Capel. Pittsburgh? Were they in the equation the past few months or is this a sudden jump into the fray replay like Illinois with Kofi?

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but this feels like Kofi and Precious all over again when suddenly he does a virtual visit with Jeff Capel. Pittsburgh? Were they in the equation the past few months or is this a sudden jump into the fray replay like Illinois with Kofi?
precious maybe but not kofi, at least not yet. as opposed to kofi we havent been the favorite to land sanogo at any given point

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I have been trying to get the staff to use better technology, there are other options much better than Zoom. But, I guess it’s a relatively old clunky product they are comfortable with, like an old shoe.

I don’t want to derail the thread too much...but zoom is a clear upgrade on webex and Skype, and Teams.

What else is out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman