Achonwa has torn ACL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Achonwa has torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She was up on the ladder cutting the net. That would suggest to my medical mind that she is OK.
That a reasonable interpretation?
I tore my ACL 15 years ago playing beach volleyball in Jamaica. There was no medical care I wanted to use in Jamaica and was able to walk around without problems or serious pain for the three days until I got up to Miami to see the Miami Heats orthopedist. Because I was living in Jamaica at the time and the rigorous physical therapy involved (and unavailable in Jamaica) and because I was not a particularly ardent athlete the doctor recommend not having surgery so I have lived the last 15 years without an ACL. No pain generally, but a few times a year it loosens up for a week or two and I have to be very careful, and I haven't played volleyball or tennis since it happened. As long as you don't put torque on the knee and keep alignment the ACL is pretty unnecessary - but of course we all do, and athletes can't function well without it and can do even more injury to other structures in their knee if the ignore it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here's more information from the South Bend Tribune http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_ce2103c6-b952-11e3-ba3b-0017a43b2370.html

I did not see this but a claim is made here that a Baylor player forced her into the basket support. Describe observing an exchange with medical personnel interpreted as negative and said her leg was immobilized under the warm ups.

This ESPN replay clearly indicates no foul when her leg buckled (right around the 1:15 mark) and as Kara says:"it did not look good."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. McBride was ahead of her and passed back to her on a fast break. She hurt her leg as she tried to plant it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's more information from the South Bend Tribune http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_ce2103c6-b952-11e3-ba3b-0017a43b2370.html

I did not see this but a claim is made here that a Baylor player forced her into the basket support. Describe observing an exchange with medical personnel interpreted as negative and said her leg was immobilized under the warm ups.

Not accurate. She used the basket standard to support her fall after her knee buckled. There was contact but I disagree with Muffet that it was a hard foul. It wasn't.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let me add: I was training to run the 1983 Augusta, Ga. Marathon and was running about 15 miles a day it seemed like and did a couple of twenty mile runs to prepare for it.

One day I was just about finished and my knee just buckled like it went out of joint or something. It was a weird feeling and noone was around to help me if it was bad. I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. and was about a half mile from the barracks.

I sat there for about twenty minutes but my leg was OK. I think I took it easy for a couple of days but I did do the marathon and never had any knee trouble.

Maybe when you really overwork your knee it gets weak or something but I think they can snap back and be alright.

I've always had strong knees and did a lot of skiing as well. Never needed any knee surgery (played basketball too).
Interesting - and not knowing your body type I can't comment. But one thing that does not get commented on very much in relation to basketball ACLs is that elite players tend to be tall - in the top say 5% of their gender. While some tall people have a normal growth pattern growing a few inch a year or whatever over the space of a a number of years, many experience a very fast growth spurt at some point in their youth. I am 6'1" which is a little over average but in a five month period I went from 5'2 to 5'6+ and that kind of growth spurt in long bones can disrupt the normal development of the supporting structures in joints and muscles leading to inherent weaknesses in those joints.
I know there has been a lot of ACL research, but specific to basketball players I wonder if anyone has focused on this possible issue.

Reaction Score
"It was a really hard foul"..Really, Muffett? What game were you watching? Sometimes sh@%tuff just happens. Stop trying to blame Baylor. I lose more and more respect for her every year. It's a bad combination; arrogance and excuses...

Reaction Score
Muffett will definitely offer this as an excuse.

There's a difference between "excuse" and "explanation", and if UConn were to beat up an Achonwa-less ND inside, that would fall in the legitimate explanation category. ND does indeed have a fine bench, but like next year's UConn class it' s almost entirely perimeter players. The main post reserve, Reimer, is a high-potential 4, but no 5.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
There's a difference between "excuse" and "explanation", and if UConn were to beat up an Achonwa-less ND inside, that would fall in the legitimate explanation category. ND does indeed have a fine bench, but like next year's UConn class it' s almost entirely perimeter players. The main post reserve, Reimer, is a high-potential 4, but no 5.

I too was going to question the earlier statement by intlzncster that Muffett will use it as an excuse. But after reading Muffett's over-the-top claim that "it was a really hard foul," I suspect she will use it as an excuse if they lose.

Reaction Score
I too was going to question the earlier statement by intlzncster that Muffett will use it as an excuse. But after reading Muffett's over-the-top claim that "it was a really hard foul," I suspect she will use it as an excuse if they lose.

If they do lose Achonwa it won't be an excuse but a fact.

Achonwa is to ND what Dolson is to UCONN.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Geno never once made an excuse for the heartbreak UConn endured in 2000-2001. We took an undefeated season to the FF with 2 AA's (Shea and Svet) out with injuries.

Except for those losses to Notre Dame (the MLK Day game) and Tennessee. Other than that, undefeated.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
If they do lose Achonwa it won't be an excuse but a fact. Achonwa is to ND what Dolson is to UCONN.

True, it will be a fact. But if Muffett turns it into an excuse (and I hope she doesn't), then we are entitled to use the loss of Morgan Tuck as an "excuse" for why we haven't wiped out our opponents by bigger margins.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

She'll use it as an excuse. That's Muffett. Because it's the women's board, I'm being kind (to her).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If they do lose Achonwa it won't be an excuse but a fact.

Achonwa is to ND what Dolson is to UCONN.

I can hear Muffett saying that if they had Achonwa, they would have won (or something to that affect). That's what I meant by excuse.

I think we could beat ND without Dolson (whom I love). It'd be tough and we'd need no foul trouble.

Right now, we effectively start 5 All Americans (skillwise). Not one player on ND would start over one UCONN player (includes McBride).

JMO

Reaction Score
I remind folks again that Jessica Moore finished a game with an ACL tear. It still needed repair and she would have been ill advised to play on it in further games if she she had tried to do so.

this is true but she also got the ACL from the last 5-7 minutes of the championship game not 2 games prior.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Interesting - and not knowing your body type I can't comment. But one thing that does not get commented on very much in relation to basketball ACLs is that elite players tend to be tall - in the top say 5% of their gender. While some tall people have a normal growth pattern growing a few inch a year or whatever over the space of a a number of years, many experience a very fast growth spurt at some point in their youth. I am 6'1" which is a little over average but in a five month period I went from 5'2 to 5'6+ and that kind of growth spurt in long bones can disrupt the normal development of the supporting structures in joints and muscles leading to inherent weaknesses in those joints.
I know there has been a lot of ACL research, but specific to basketball players I wonder if anyone has focused on this possible issue.

Interesting point/query

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Muffet said after the game that she thought the play (Achonwa's injury) looked "rough." I understand her emotions, but I didn't think it did and I'm sure Muffet doesn't now after watching the replay. There was contact but it wasn't excessive.
You are definitely correct, Cat. There was very little contact on the play. When Muffet views the tape, I hope she amends her comments. The Baylor player did nothing dirty or physically rough.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
According to a tweet from a ND Insider Achonwa has an ACL Tear and won't play in the Final Four.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You are definitely correct, Cat. There was very little contact on the play. When Muffet views the tape, I hope she amends her comments. The Baylor player did nothing dirty or physically rough.
Man, that was a physical game, Choke. The refs could have called twice as many fouls in that game.

Reaction Score
Yeah agree agree..... Muffet saying the play on Aconwa looked "rough" was ridiculous.... she should know better than to say anything when you really don't know for sure.

Having said that.... God Bless Achonwa.... our arch enemy for sure, but nobody wants to see that.... i hope she is ok

intlzncster

Reaction Score
According to a tweet from a ND Insider Achonwa has an ACL Tear and won't play in the Final Four.

Really sucks for the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom