Achonwa has torn ACL | The Boneyard

Achonwa has torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough and I feel for her. She came back on the sidelines and looked like she had been crying. It was a weird occurrence because there didn't seem to be much stop, torque, or change of direction involved in the leg plant, but it just seemed to give way. I would have thought a twisted ankle rather than a knee problem just based on the way she was moving when it happened, but ...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
She was up on the ladder cutting the net. That would suggest to my medical mind that she is OK.
That a reasonable interpretation?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was up on the ladder cutting the net. That would suggest to my medical mind that she is OK.
That a reasonable interpretation?
No, not for an ACL injury.

Reaction Score
All of us should be ardently wishing for a good outcome for her and that she'll be 100% a week from now....not only because seeing any player, and especially a great player, go down with injury is a shame, but it would be a terrible thing to miss out on a possible dream scenario: the two best programs in the country (no use in arguing that), the two best, and best-coached teams in the country, both undefeated, both at full-strength, going mano-a-mano for a national title....wow! What a prospect for women's basketball and for fan interest! I'd hate to see either team have an "excuse" for losing other than that they were outplayed by their arch-rival between the lines. Heal quickly Natalie...we need you at your best!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
No, not for an ACL injury.

Agree, unfortunately. Recall Jessica finishing out the game.

ACL's can hurt like a sun-of-a-beech and swell up or they can just pop. They don't stop you from walking straight, just moving left and right... I recall Geno explaining Shea's injury like driving on a flat tire.

Maybe it's not bad, but I"m not optimistic.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Amen to your thoughts. But we are not at full strength...Morgan.

It does sound that she is making good progress in her rehab. Whether we are fortunate enough to land A'ja or not,
Morgan's versatility will be a key for us.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Tough and I feel for her. She came back on the sidelines and looked like she had been crying. It was a weird occurrence because there didn't seem to be much stop, torque, or change of direction involved in the leg plant, but it just seemed to give way. I would have thought a twisted ankle rather than a knee problem just based on the way she was moving when it happened, but ...

When she planted her left foot, her knee collapsed inward, just a little bit, but unfortunately with women, that does it. Banks had a similar injury (much less visible movement) and I did the same thing a long time ago. Whether it's the Q angle, the narrow femoral notch, anything that doesn't keep us gals squared up from hip to ankle, and if we haven't learned how to jump and land, it brutal.

Reaction Score
Our prayers are with her on a very speedy recovery. I lit a candle for her at Mass this morning.....How sad, your senior year and the last home game before the Final 4. Devine intervention and magic ND healing for her this week.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'd hate to see either team have an "excuse" for losing other than that they were outplayed by their arch-rival between the lines.
Should the over-hyped "Pursuit of Perfection" occur in the title game, there won't be any excuses.

Geno never once made an excuse for the heartbreak UConn endured in 2000-2001. We took an undefeated season to the FF with 2 AA's (Shea and Svet) out with injuries. It sucks, but those are the cards you get dealt sometimes.

ND seized the moment, the opportunity and captured their 1st (ONLY and LAST) NCAA crown. There is no asterisk beside their name in the NCAA record books, nor should there be.

UConn won the title the year prior and three in a row the following years. Not that big of a stretch to fantasize, that without those injuries, UConn could have been looking at a NY Islander-like "Drive-For-Five"!

I dislike ND intensely and Achonwa has always been a burr in our saddle because she is so damn affective, efficient and a tremendous actress to boot. Very few players finish at the rim any better than she does. I am upset for her, in her senior year no less. Keeping fingers crossed that today's MRI results go against the prevailing fear that this is a season ending ligament tear.

Godspeed Natalie, Husky Nation is pulling for you.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Well, they are the best equipped to deal with it since they have the best bench in the country.
Wait, I thought ND had the best front line in the country?! Oh yeah, that was TN...my bad.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Should the over-hyped "Pursuit of Perfection" occur in the title game, there won't be any excuses.

Geno never once made an excuse for the heartbreak UConn endured in 2000-2001. We took an undefeated season to the FF with 2 AA's (Shea and Svet) out with injuries. It sucks, but those are the cards you get dealt sometimes.

Firstly, I feel for the kid and wish her best of luck.

Secondly, I'm pissed because I wanted to kill them at full strength.

Thirdly, Muffett will definitely offer this as an excuse.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I remind folks again that Jessica Moore finished a game with an ACL tear. It still needed repair and she would have been ill advised to play on it in further games if she she had tried to do so.

Reaction Score
I hope she's ok, but it definitely didn't look good. Best of luck Natalie! Hope it turns out to be minor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Muffet said after the game that she thought the play (Achonwa's injury) looked "rough." I understand her emotions, but I didn't think it did and I'm sure Muffet doesn't now after watching the replay. There was contact but it wasn't excessive.

Reaction Score
Our prayers are with her on a very speedy recovery. I lit a candle for her at Mass this morning.....How sad, your senior year and the last home game before the Final 4. Devine intervention and magic ND healing for her this week.

I'm hoping she just tweaked her knee a bit and she'll be OK (won't need surgery or anything like that).

I hate to see atheletes get injured but it's part of the game, as they say.

I said a prayer for her last night.

Reaction Score
Let me add: I was training to run the 1983 Augusta, Ga. Marathon and was running about 15 miles a day it seemed like and did a couple of twenty mile runs to prepare for it.

One day I was just about finished and my knee just buckled like it went out of joint or something. It was a weird feeling and noone was around to help me if it was bad. I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. and was about a half mile from the barracks.

I sat there for about twenty minutes but my leg was OK. I think I took it easy for a couple of days but I did do the marathon and never had any knee trouble.

Maybe when you really overwork your knee it gets weak or something but I think they can snap back and be alright.

I've always had strong knees and did a lot of skiing as well. Never needed any knee surgery (played basketball too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom