ACC & BIG SOUTH 2022-23 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC & BIG SOUTH 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is that really the measuring stick? More important than regular season conference wins, or NCAA Tourney performance? I think some coaches, both mens and womens, just don't give a hoot about their conference tourneys and probably don't really mind losing early, so they can start preparing sooner for the Big Dance (assuming they are safely in already).

edit--and this is not meant as an attack on any other coach

Considering the fact that the baby blue school hasn't won the ACC since 2008, there is no doubt that Banghart wants a title in the worst way. I know that they are trying to grow their brand, gain more fans. Winning and attracting fans to a ACC title game in Greensboro would go a long way to achieving those goals. They should have the biggest and best fanbase in the state, but they are 3rd in the Triangle.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The roster returning is gets a boost with Key coming back after her unfortunate ACL injury. She's someone I'm really looking forward to seeing play this season.

It's said she's better than her sister Tamari because she's more agile. For as good as the freshman class coming in last season was, she could have been a difference maker for the squad in my opinion.

With respect to depth, and Triad you know me, but UNC's depth could be as good as Duke's even with all of their transfers. Adding Paris, a guard from NJ will be fun to watch. She could surprise you. ;)

We will see.... we will see. I could be wrong about them... but I could be right on the money. If I were a betting man, I would bet on the better blue. :cool: ( this face is a bit too light for my taste)

Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

A bit surprised, given the uphill battle that draftees/non-draftees face making a roster. But 4 years in college is enough for some kids and all may not want to enroll in a graduate program.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, thats from ACC Tipoff a few weeks ago. Today is Duke's media day on campus.. not sure if there is, or will be video online from that.

Oops. Sorry. Looked new to me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oops. Sorry. Looked new to me.

No problem. i had only seen snippets on twitter. Thanks for posting the entire segments for those who didn't watch on the ACC Network.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big South Media Day

A tie at the top, though I expect the Panthers of High Point to be the top cat in the end. Cats vs Dogs, Methodists vs Baptists.... should be a great and exciting season.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

She was at Rutgers when she put up those numbers.

Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

Reaction Score
Is that really the measuring stick? More important than regular season conference wins, or NCAA Tourney performance? I think some coaches, both mens and womens, just don't give a hoot about their conference tourneys and probably don't really mind losing early, so they can start preparing sooner for the Big Dance (assuming they are safely in already).

Not winning an ACC Tournament game having been there 3 seasons can be seen as a blemish on Banghart time at UNC. Her greatest accomplishment at this point was her team making the Sweet 16. That's something that longer tenured ACC coaches like Miami's Katie Meier and Virginia Tech's Kenny Brooks has yet to do.

I kind of the fall on the side that she holds the regular season in higher esteem than her predecessor did. She played and coached in the Ivy League, where they didn't have a conference tournament until the last 2 or 3 seasons she was there. Also she thought her team's body of work last season was enough for them to deserve a 4th seed in the NCAA tournament based on their reason season alone. I disagreed with that and I thought UNC needed to at least make it to the ACC semifinals to be considered a 4th seed. The selection committee came out said that UNC, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech needed to win the ACC tournament to have secured a 4th seed.

Reaction Score
Can a certain someone with close ties to Duke WBB please explain to me how they have a 15-man roster ?
Walk-ons ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can a certain someone with close ties to Duke WBB please explain to me how they have a 15-man roster ?
Walk-ons ?

Actually its 17. 14 scholarship players and 3 walk-ons. One of the walk-on's played at Lehigh for 2 years then transferred to Duke. She graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree in the Spring, so I was surprised she returned this year. She got some spot minutes late in the season last year. Another walk-on is getting her Master's in Statistical Science (a two year program) She played about 2 minutes last season. We got a late addition walk-on this summer. She's already graduated, not sure what brought her to Duke, but seems to be a good teammate.

I wonder if there is any other team in the country with 7 players already with their undergraduate degrees?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually its 17
That's the number I meant to write lol. I would not have questioned 15. A lot of intelligent, hard-working young women on that team. I'm impressed that they are pursuing education beyond their undergraduate degrees but equally impressed that they still want to compete athletically. These are the type of people this country needs.

Reaction Score
Not a good day for my alma mater... too many of these not good days in the past 10-15 years.
I feel ill reading up on what's been reported to date. This school has gone through too much of this recent.

Reaction Score

At last year's SEC tourney, Kim Mulkey actually said this on camera to Andy Landers, who was asking her about her plans and about the difficulty of running the gauntlet ahead. I don't have her exact quote, but it was very much along the lines of: "Andy, we both know these games don't mean anything. We're focused on getting ready for the NCAA tourney."

I literally laughed out loud. I suspect that, deep down, Landers did, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom