A Perverse View From CBS Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Perverse View From CBS Sports

Reaction Score
UConn, UNC, and Kentucky were the only three top 10 teams to win in the last two days AND cover the spread. To call the win last night “mayhem” when covering the spread on the road with no Clingan and Karaban out for a decent stretch in second half with the bleeding is poor reporting.
It's assuming the dude even read a summary of the game nevermind watching it.

Reaction Score
His final point ("I still believe if you put both resumes in front of the NCAA Tournament selection committee right now, they'd give Purdue the overall No. 1 seed") is 100% correct.

That doesn't mean that Purdue will stay #1 after getting walloped by a decent Nebraska team. But I don't think they fall farther than #2 if they do, and they'll have a number #1 votes as well.
Yes, that's the way he handles his poll, like the selection committee. Not everyone polls the same way, a lot of people poll like power rankings.

Reaction Score
This is what Hurley means when he says we still do not get the respect that we’ve earned - not deserved - earned. How do programs like Purdue and Houston get more respect from the media as media darlings when they have accomplished absolutely nothing?

Reaction Score
Was the spread 4.5? We beat the spread. If they spent more than the 15 seconds they spent looking only at the final score, they would have known it was a 14 point pretty late in second half and not really as close as the score.

Reaction Score
This is what Hurley means when he says we still do not get the respect that we’ve earned - not deserved - earned. How do programs like Purdue and Houston get more respect from the media as media darlings when they have accomplished absolutely nothing?
The media hasn’t even voted yet, and it’s not Monday afternoon. Let’s reserve judgement.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
His final point ("I still believe if you put both resumes in front of the NCAA Tournament selection committee right now, they'd give Purdue the overall No. 1 seed") is 100% correct.

That doesn't mean that Purdue will stay #1 after getting walloped by a decent Nebraska team. But I don't think they fall farther than #2 if they do, and they'll have a number #1 votes as well.

Let's face it, the goal is first two rounds in Brooklyn and regional in Boston. Whatever number is next to UConn's name to achieve that, I'm fine with it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hows this for perverse?

So Sweet.

Syracuse last made the top 25 in December 2018 and has not yet been ranked under new head coach Adrian Autry. SU did not receive any votes in this week’s AP rankings, but is off to a strong 11-4 start this season.

Reaction Score
Assessing the "chaos" this week among college basketball's Top Five, CBS Sports has this curiously dismissive comment as to how it reflects on UConn:

"UConn survived the mayhem with an 80-75 win at Xavier but not without trailing in the second half against the mediocre Musketeers.

Collectively, the run of results illustrates a lack of dominance among the supposed top teams in the sport and opens the door for recently downtrodden brands such as Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina to reclaim their place atop the college basketball hierarchy."

Curious logic, it strikes me. Rather than lauded as an exception to the "chaos", UConn is lumped with the losers, all part of a discredited Top Five. Oh, well, maybe if we beat Georgetown.
I think this is fine. He says we survived, we did. He said Xavier was mediocre, a sub 500 record would indicate the same. He said a run of results, if we lost 4 of 5 games that would be a run bad run of results. The top 5 lost 4 of 5 games I would call that a bad run of results. The Duke, UNC, Kentucky stuff is kind of silly but those teams generate clicks. This is a not a feature piece it's a daily style quick article compared to a lot of articles out there I actually thought on the whole this one was decent.

Reaction Score
I think this is fine. He says we survived, we did. He said Xavier was mediocre, a sub 500 record would indicate the same. He said a run of results, if we lost 4 of 5 games that would be a run bad run of results. The top 5 lost 4 of 5 games I would call that a bad run of results. The Duke, UNC, Kentucky stuff is kind of silly but those teams generate clicks. This is a not a feature piece it's a daily style quick article compared to a lot of articles out there I actually thought on the whole this one was decent.
The same author just had us #1 in his power rankings, so maybe we can call off the dogs.

Reaction Score
Assessing the "chaos" this week among college basketball's Top Five, CBS Sports has this curiously dismissive comment as to how it reflects on UConn:

"UConn survived the mayhem with an 80-75 win at Xavier but not without trailing in the second half against the mediocre Musketeers.

Collectively, the run of results illustrates a lack of dominance among the supposed top teams in the sport and opens the door for recently downtrodden brands such as Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina to reclaim their place atop the college basketball hierarchy."

Curious logic, it strikes me. Rather than lauded as an exception to the "chaos", UConn is lumped with the losers, all part of a discredited Top Five. Oh, well, maybe if we beat Georgetown.
Did this guy watch us dismantle North Carolina?

Reaction Score
This team has resilience. No panic. Last year we went in a tailspin with Sanogo and Clingan and came out fine. We're gonna go through some things and hopefully come out the other side with our freshman having big impact. I dont like the pressure of being a #1 seed. Don't want it.

Reaction Score
If Duke was sitting at #4 in the country this week, there would be ZERO debate over whether they were #1 next week. And certainly no discussion over resume

Hope someone is sending this to Hurley. The disrespect of keeping a team #1 after losing is off the charts. Has it ever happened in the history of the poll??
Sending what to Hurley? The poll following the Purdue loss won't come out until Monday. I hope to god Hurley is worrying about more important things than what one writer or talking head predicts the next poll will say. I even wish you did.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sending what to Hurley? The poll following the Purdue loss won't come out until Monday. I hope to god Hurley is worrying about more important things than what one writer or talking head predicts the next poll will say. I even wish you did.
A little irony here.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
This team has resilience. No panic. Last year we went in a tailspin with Sanogo and Clingan and came out fine. We're gonna go through some things and hopefully come out the other side with our freshman having big impact. I dont like the pressure of being a #1 seed. Don't want it.

I agree with most of this but I can’t get on board with the last part. I want to see UConn ranked #1. How long has it been since we were the top ranked team in the country? 2009? Let’s beat Georgetown and see where the chips fall.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Downtrodden definition: oppressed or treated badly by people in power.

We have had our way with Duke and Kentucky in the NCAAs in recent history and we beat UNC this year so I guess UConn fits the definition of power who are treating the blue bloods badly.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’d assume most of the media has an allegiance to some team (usually Duke or Syracuse) and they will pull for teams like Houston, Gonzaga and Purdue because they know they can’t win in March. Seeing UConn win makes a lot of them sick.

At least guys like Bilas has been able to put their bias aside to give UConn credit where it has been earned, but guys like him are the exception not the norm.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Parish rally does a good job explaining Purdue over us, and based on stats he’s right on. We can counter with some maybes and coulda, mighta, but they have better Q 1 and 2, 5 wins against top 20 NET, and beat us on most computer metrics.

I’ll take #2 in college hoops in the oh so critical CBSSports line poll right now knowing we’ve still got significant upside.

And I don't care about computer rankings

We're defending national Champs, they exit early

We're blessed if we're in their bracket

Reaction Score
Let's face it, the goal is first two rounds in Brooklyn and regional in Boston. Whatever number is next to UConn's name to achieve that, I'm fine with it.
We're going to have to be a #1 seed -- not necessarily #1 overall -- to get Boston. If we're behind Purdue for valid or BS reasons, it shouldn't affect such placement if we're both on the 1-line. A #2 seed in Boston would be a tall ask since the #1 seed would be at a disadvantage and the Committee isn't going to favor us that way. The only reason we got MSG in 2014 is because as a #7 seed, nobody expected us to even get there.

Anything #3 or higher is probably good enough for Brooklyn, and it would take a serious collapse for that to be at risk.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's the way he handles his poll, like the selection committee. Not everyone polls the same way, a lot of people poll like power rankings.
I think it's totally legit. And I think it is healthy to have a variety of different voters apply different standards to what Top 25 means. They then all get tabulated together. As long as the voters are consistent in their thinking and logic.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Mainstream Media
Nuff said.......................................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom