A Perverse View From CBS Sports | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A Perverse View From CBS Sports

Reaction Score
Let me try to say it in a nutshell.

1. DC has already brought us the national championship that was his goal.
2. Having done that, he passed on millions of NBA dollars in order to try for a second natty.
3. His reward for that was a pracfice injury that sidelined him for a month.
4. He came back from the injury to play with clearly diminished stamina and agility.
5. His reward for that was a second injury that has so far sidelined him 3 1/2 weeks.
6. So here's the question -- if he comes back from this second injury, what will be his reward?

Well, miracles happen. DC could come back 100% recovered, somehow get himself in basketball shape, play up to last year's form (or better) and lead UConn to a 6th natty. You can't ask too much of a miracle.

But real-life experience suggests otherwise. It suggests that DC will not be playing on 100% sound footing this season. He certainly will not be in mid-season condition when he does, and as a result, he will will more susceptible to reinjury. Who knows -- he may give us enough minutes to contribute to a 6th natty -- but his reward may well be a third injury or an aggravation of a previous injury that impacts his pre-draft evaluations this spring. We are talking evaluations that could yield a nine-digit lifetime income.

For Donovan to take such a risk would be selfless but not surprising. For those with Donovan's interests at heart, it would be surprising.

For us fans, it might be time to stop projecting DC's return. There's little doubt that fan expectations have an influence on DC's
decision-making. It might be good, even kind in a way, to let our expectations be nothing more than that DC do what's best for DC.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There's little doubt that fan expectations have an influence on DC's decision-making.
There is much, much more than a little doubt on this point. DC needs to be smarter than that and I'd be disappointed if he and his inner circle were not.
I fully expect him to do what's best for him according to his own goals and priorities. As I fan, I'm going to continue to hope that his goals, objectives and capabilities align with my hopes as a fan. That's what fans do. But you do you.

Reaction Score

2. Having done that, he passed on millions of NBA dollars in order to try for a second natty.
4. He came back from the injury to play with clearly diminished stamina and agility.
5. His reward for that was a second injury that has so far sidelined him 3 1/2 weeks.
6. So here's the question -- if he comes back from this second injury, what will be his reward?

Well, miracles happen. DC could come back 100% recovered, somehow get himself in basketball shape, play up to last year's form (or better) and lead UConn to a 6th natty. You can't ask too much of a miracle.

But real-life experience suggests otherwise. It suggests that DC will not be playing on 100% sound footing this season. He certainly will not be in mid-season condition when he does, and as a result, he will will more susceptible to reinjury. Who knows -- he may give us enough minutes to contribute to a 6th natty -- but his reward may well be a third injury or an aggravation of a previous injury that impacts his pre-draft evaluations this spring. We are talking evaluations that could yield a nine-digit lifetime income.

For Donovan to take such a risk would be selfless but not surprising. For those with Donovan's interests at heart, it would be surprising.

For us fans, it might be time to stop projecting DC's return. There's little doubt that fan expectations have an influence on DC's
decision-making. It might be good, even kind in a way, to let our expectations be nothing more than that DC do what's best for DC.

I don't understand what this is all about. You're overthinking it. Unless he has an injury set back he's coming back in the relatively near future. Is he going to be in game shape from moment one? Doubtful, but the BET tournament is two months from now. Does his presence in the lineup immediately make this team better? Of course.

This staff would never jeopardize a kid's future for short term gains but that's why you have medical professionals making these decisions. The reality is that every time a kid that large takes the court you're holding your breath to a certain extent. When he's cleared, he's coming back.

Reaction Score

What you're saying is very reasonable and very logical, all very good points for a player who has seen lottery projections

But...I don't think Hurley recruits players who hold themselves out to preserve a draft spot. I'd bet Donovan will ask to come back before the staff tells him that he's ready to come back, and I'm sure he'll get very mad at Hurley for ramping him up on a minutes restriction because he'll want to play more

Reaction Score
Duke is not a threat
Well thank goodness there's an opportunity for Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky to save college basketball from the mediocrity of UConn, the defending, 5-time NCAA champions, as the big 3 reclaim their rightful place (apparently earned or not).
Duke is not a threat to do anything significant this year. A severely flawed team that will be overseeded and exit early

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom