#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I think this SC team just needs more time together, including Henderson at the point. She's been better than pretty good with 39-13 Assist to TO ratio..that's 3 to 1. Ty Harris had 4 years at the point and was not a good scorer at all. While I get Rivers is highly rated, it's still a tall task to ask a freshman to lead a team with so much talent. We are seeing it at Connecticut but it's rare.

I posted this next comment on the Geno vs. Tara thread but the next four years will have 4 teams in my view that heads and shoulders better than the rest-
SC, UConn, Oregon and Stanford.

Raven Johnson will be the backup point.

Rivers and/or Hall might be able to push Beal for that 3 slot.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Raven Johnson will be the backup point.

Rivers and/or Hall might be able to push Beal for that 3 slot.
Depth Chart in my opinion..

PG - Henderson, Cooke, Johnson, Russell
SG - Cooke, Rivers, Russell, Littleton
W - Beal, Rivers, Hall
PF - Amihere, Saxton, Feagin
C - Boston, Amihere, Saxton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Depth Chart in my opinion..

PG - Henderson, Cooke, Johnson, Russell
SG - Cooke, Rivers, Russell, Littleton
W - Beal, Rivers, Hall
PF - Amihere, Saxton, Feagin
C - Boston, Amihere, Saxton

I'd guess:

Henderson / Johnson / Cooke
Cooke / Russell / Rivers
Beal / Rivers / Hall / Russell
Amihere / Feagin
Boston / Saxton

I think Feagin is going to be great.

A little more shooting would be valuable.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd guess:

Cooke / Russell / Rivers
Amihere / Feagin
Boston / Saxton

This is a pretty deep and talented roster. Take a look at the Oregon, UConn and Stanford rosters, just as deep. Hopefully they all can do some OOC games against each other.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'd guess:

Cooke / Russell / Rivers
Amihere / Feagin
Boston / Saxton

If anything, I'm seeing A LOT of versatility at the 1-3 spots next year. We have so much there.. big guards, small guards, long and athletic, quick and slashing.

Feagin brings something that I'm not sure we've ever had at the PF spot. She's so talented.

I would likely kill to see us get a knockdown shooter at SC. A Caroline Ducharme type guard. I really like in-state Talaysia Cooper, but I'm sure she's looking at our depth at guard. North Carolina schools are coming at her HARD.

Reaction Score
I know this has been said a million times but, Ty Harris directing traffic and Kiki HH being a dual threat on offensive and defense made this SC team look way better than they do now. The sophomores (Boston, Cooke, Beal) were able to be complimentary players and feed off their senior leadership. Now it’s hard for them to initiate that kind of play without them. The incoming players for next year will change all that.

This didn't age too well....

Probably a smarter perspective would have been that for the first half, Boston played all of 5 minutes and scored 4 points, and Cooke scored all of 0 points in the first half. A combined 4 points in a half of basketball from who are your top two scorers this season, and you're not going to look all that good.

This turned out to be a bad game for Cooke, but Boston got back out on the floor and scored 16 pts, 11 rebounds, and all 7 of her blocks in 20 minutes. Henderson stepped up for Cooke's absence - Cooke still ended up finding a way to 7 pts, and Henderson's 22 pts means the guard duo combined for 29 pts and 11 rebounds, and I've seen worse production from starting guard tandems this season, even on really good teams...

The turnovers were bad for the game, and have been bad for the season. That's the biggest loss we've seen from Harris being no longer on the team: Harris has always been a strong PG when it came to keeping turnovers to a minimum. Maybe as a freshman and her competing with upperclassman Bianca Cuevas-Moore, and Cuevas-Moore's tendency to be a bit loose with the handle that ultimately handed the starting job to Ty may have had something to do with that. Anyhow, with Ty it was usually a team with one particular player on the perimeter as an anchor, while the rest of the unit worked to drive to the basket and take shots. Now we have 5 of 5 out there at any one time looking to initiate shots and scoring, and often the pace gets away from the team. They've allowed this when missing too many make-able shots thus far this season, IMO.

But Ty has also never been a major offensive threat until her senior season, while both Henderson and Cooke are the wide-open initiators more in the frame that Cuevas-Moore tried to be. That Hendo is still averaging north of 5 apg while scoring as much as she is, is impressive: She has already proven to be a better scorer and shooter than Harris ever was - Harris's senior season last season was her best year, and she averaged 12.0 ppg last season.

Henderson is also a better 3-pt. FG shooter than Harris ever was. Harris was better in apg and a:to ratio - although Henderson is just right behind her in those areas - a better anticipatory defender and a better FT shooter. Henderson is the better scorer, FG shooter, and rebounder. They are unique enough players from each other: doesn't necessarily mean one is better and the other is worse, without a bit of subjective preference...

Reaction Score
This didn't age too well....

Probably a smarter perspective would have been that for the first half, Boston played all of 5 minutes and scored 4 points, and Cooke scored all of 0 points in the first half. A combined 4 points in a half of basketball from who are your top two scorers this season, and you're not going to look all that good.

This turned out to be a bad game for Cooke, but Boston got back out on the floor and scored 16 pts, 11 rebounds, and all 7 of her blocks in 20 minutes. Henderson stepped up for Cooke's absence - Cooke still ended up finding a way to 7 pts, and Henderson's 22 pts means the guard duo combined for 29 pts and 11 rebounds, and I've seen worse production from starting guard tandems this season, even on really good teams...

The turnovers were bad for the game, and have been bad for the season. That's the biggest loss we've seen from Harris being no longer on the team: Harris has always been a strong PG when it came to keeping turnovers to a minimum. Maybe as a freshman and her competing with upperclassman Bianca Cuevas-Moore, and Cuevas-Moore's tendency to be a bit loose with the handle that ultimately handed the starting job to Ty may have had something to do with that. Anyhow, with Ty it was usually a team with one particular player on the perimeter as an anchor, while the rest of the unit worked to drive to the basket and take shots. Now we have 5 of 5 out there at any one time looking to initiate shots and scoring, and often the pace gets away from the team. They've allowed this when missing too many make-able shots thus far this season, IMO.

But Ty has also never been a major offensive threat until her senior season, while both Henderson and Cooke are the wide-open initiators more in the frame that Cuevas-Moore tried to be. That Hendo is still averaging north of 5 apg while scoring as much as she is, is impressive: She has already proven to be a better scorer and shooter than Harris ever was - Harris's senior season last season was her best year, and she averaged 12.0 ppg last season.

Henderson is also a better 3-pt. FG shooter than Harris ever was. Harris was better in apg and a:to ratio - although Henderson is just right behind her in those areas - a better anticipatory defender and a better FT shooter. Henderson is the better scorer, FG shooter, and rebounder. They are unique enough players from each other: doesn't necessarily mean one is better and the other is worse, without a bit of subjective preference...
I’m not reading all that. I meant what I said.

Reaction Score
If anything, I'm seeing A LOT of versatility at the 1-3 spots next year. We have so much there.. big guards, small guards, long and athletic, quick and slashing.

Feagin brings something that I'm not sure we've ever had at the PF spot. She's so talented.

I would likely kill to see us get a knockdown shooter at SC. A Caroline Ducharme type guard. I really like in-state Talaysia Cooper, but I'm sure she's looking at our depth at guard. North Carolina schools are coming at her HARD.

It's a tough one for sure with Cooper.

I agree about the shooter. That's kind of what Kiki became, in a way. P

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is hard to believe that you all have seen all the really good players enough to determine who will be POY. Some players have great games and then not even a good game. Look at Charlie Collier. Prince looked all world and then disappeared before she got hurt. There are others.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just when I think Boston has been underwhelming this season, she absolutely dominates for SC. Wow what a 2nd half.

Kentucky has the pieces but they just go stagnant too frequently. Too much "let's throw the ball to Howard and watch" rather than get any ball movement or run a set play. Not a bad loss but that has to sting as it was a super winnable game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Has Edwards disappeared for UK? She was getting some really positive reviews early in the season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, I just looked at UK's roster and they have about 20 people on staff. Uh...that's not normal is it?

Reaction Score
Wow, I just looked at UK's roster and they have about 20 people on staff. Uh...that's not normal is it?
Not as odd as Syracuse women’s basketball staff having an all male staff.

Update: I just looked at it again. It seems they’ve hired a female of December 22nd.

Reaction Score
Has Edwards disappeared for UK? She was getting some really positive reviews early in the season.
Howard has asserted her on offense after struggling early in the season and that has affected Edward's production.

Reaction Score
Just when I think Boston has been underwhelming this season, she absolutely dominates for SC. Wow what a 2nd half.

2019-20:
MPG: 23.8
PPG: 12.5
RPG: 9.4
APG: 1.0
BPG: 2.6
SPG: 1.3
FG C/A: 5.27/8.67
FG %: .608
3PTFG C/A: 0.06/0.36
3PTFG %: .167
FT %: .738

2020-21:
MPG: 29.3
PPG: 13.6
RPG: 10.7
APG: 1.2
BPG: 2.2
SPG: 1.7
FG C/A: 5.56/11.67
FG %: .476
3PTFG C/A: 0.67/1.67
3PTFG %: .400
FT %: .667

Boston has been a little shaky on layups thus far this season, when last season she was almost automatic in the paint. I'm thinking all the stop-and-go practicing due to covid-19 precautions is playing a role there for the entire team as well as her. Otherwise pretty much every statistical category thus far she's improving on her stats from last season - the only exception is blocked shots, and she's right on her last-season numbers' heels....

Reaction Score
2019-20:

2020-21:

Boston has been a little shaky on layups thus far this season, when last season she was almost automatic in the paint. I'm thinking all the stop-and-go practicing due to covid-19 precautions is playing a role there for the entire team as well as her. Otherwise pretty much every statistical category thus far she's improving on her stats from last season - the only exception is blocked shots, and she's right on her last-season numbers' heels....
I think this comparison highlights an excellent point and misconception in Boston’s sophomore campaign thus far. As noted above, Boston isn’t playing worse than last year, but she’s more inconsistent. SC has played, I believe, nine games. In two of those, Boston has scored 28 and 20 points, performances which feed into her 13.6 ppg figure. That’s balanced by a few games this year where she hasn’t been a scoring factor. It didn’t seem like that was an issue last year, but maybe my memory is glossing over those games simply because Carolina didn’t need her to be a dominant scorer every night and she, frankly, never looked a freshman to me.

I don’t have an issue with Boston’s lower FG% as she is taking a hefty number of jump shots both inside and outside the arc per game. I’d take that over a post who shoots layups at 65%. Give me Boston’s skillset. She will need to bring that number above 50% in order to compete for SEC POY, in my opinion.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2019-20:

2020-21:

This game boosted some stats significantly. Entering the game she was averaging 12.8 points, 10.5 boards, and 1.6 blocks while shooting 46% from the field which are not bad numbers, but they're underwhelming for someone who was listed as a top favorite for POY. We'll see how the rest of the season pans out, I'd love for her to assert herself and dominate like she did today. Hopefully teams can stay healthy.

Reaction Score

Would hate to lose Cooper too, but even more important is keeping Fulwiley the following year. We CANNOT let that one get away.

Reaction Score
I think this comparison highlights an excellent point and misconception in Boston’s sophomore campaign thus far. As noted above, Boston isn’t playing worse than last year, but she’s more inconsistent. SC has played, I believe, nine games. In two of those, Boston has scored 28 and 20 points, performances which feed into her 13.6 ppg figure. That’s balanced by a few games this year where she hasn’t been a scoring factor. It didn’t seem like that was an issue last year, but maybe my memory is glossing over those games simply because Carolina didn’t need her to be a dominant scorer every night and she, frankly, never looked a freshman to me.

I don’t have an issue with Boston’s lower FG% as she is taking a hefty number of jump shots both inside and outside the arc per game. I’d take that over a post who shoots layups at 65%. Give me Boston’s skillset. She will need to bring that number above 50% in order to compete for SEC POY, in my opinion.
I'd like to see what her percentages are on mid range jumpers out to the arc just to have a sense of how efficient that is for her.

Reaction Score

not sure what you mean by "it's a tough one for sure with Cooper."

Is there some recruiting news on her other than purported "offers?" I know here stock went up this Summer/Fall at events like the Wooden Camp. However, I have heard only crickets as to who she may or may not be favoring.

Edit Add-on: She had 21 points, 22 rebs, 10 assists, & 10 blocks last night

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Why is Rhyne Howard the best player in this game, but Kentucky is still merely fringe Top 12 team.

Reaction Score
Why is Rhyne Howard the best player in this game, but Kentucky is still merely fringe Top 12 team.
I’m a fan of Howard, but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Howard’s impact is primarily as a scorer. You don’t always see her impact other areas of the game...or so you think. Check her stats and you’ll see she’s also averaging 7.1 boards and 3.7 assists on the season. I haven’t seen her enough to gauge her defensive play, but it’s clear to me that Howard is just one of those “quietly dominant” players.

Kentucky looked fantastic to start the year, but Edwards has vanished and Patterson looks more inconsistent than last year. Take those two out and there’s not a ton else with which to surround Howard. Kentucky is a S16 team but needs help to get further. Howard can get you 25, 30, 35, but she can’t ring up 70 points on her own.

Reaction Score
Boston is one of the few post players I've ever seen come ready to play as a freshman from day 1. I believe losing KHH and Harris have impacted her in some ways and she's having to learn to be a leader in a different way than before. Just like Howard she can take over a game and go from a borderline weak stat line to a dominant one before most realize it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom