OT: - 2023 Kentucky Derby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2023 Kentucky Derby

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Not one mention of Mage here or anywhere else I went to yesterday. Everyone I know lost. On to the Preakness!!!

Reaction Score
That’s really rough.

Feels like an overstep by the state vet, but horse racing is so afraid of any more bad publicity that this kind of thing has been happening.
Been around competitive horse sports for a very long time. Stopped watching racing. There are a few good trainers that care about the animal, but way too many will drug and abuse these poor creatures without a second thought. They breakdown for a reason.

Reaction Score
Been around competitive horse sports for a very long time. Stopped watching racing. There are a few good trainers that care about the animal, but way too many will drug and abuse these poor creatures without a second thought. They breakdown for a reason.

7 dead horses at Churchill Downs this week. 71 during the 2011-12 season at Santa Anita. It's gross. I've been to the Derby a couple times because a college friend hosts something at his house in Lexington but I'm increasingly squeamish about horse racing.

Reaction Score
Well, I don’t care about the horses. I love horse racing. I’m honest enough to say it. If someone disagrees with that? Fine by me. Go donate your time or money to a cause that supports your stance. 99.9999999% of the high and mighty won’t though.

Reaction Score
Well, I don’t care about the horses. I love horse racing. I’m honest enough to say it. If someone disagrees with that? Fine by me. Go donate your time or money to a cause that supports your stance. 99.9999999% of the high and mighty won’t though.
How provocative. When you typed that up and pressed post, what exactly was going through your head? I imagine not much…

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not one mention of Mage here or anywhere else I went to yesterday. Everyone I know lost. On to the Preakness!!!

I missed the trifecta due to not having Angel of Empire. I boxed my picks and dropped Angel of Empire for Mage at the last second. Either way I was losing. My friend won his trifecta with a box of 5 horses. On to the Preakness for me as well.

Reaction Score
How provocative. When you typed that up and pressed post, what exactly was going through your head? I imagine not much…
Actually, I was giggling at the fake concern for the horses from the high and mighty post about it.

Reaction Score
Beyond stupid. If you’ve ever seen a horse in extreme pain and how awful it is, you’d change your view or you have no compassion or kindness in you. The latter is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Actually, I was giggling at the fake concern for the horses from the high and mighty post about it.

"High and mighty" for having an opinion that's different from yours. Clownishly insecure. You're the guy who hates dogs, too, though, right? Figures.

Reaction Score
Beyond stupid. If you’ve ever seen a horse in extreme pain and how awful it is, you’d change your view or you have no compassion or kindness in you. The latter is pathetic.
Really? Did you see Damar Hamlin die on the field? Or any number of the compound/brutal leg fractures in any given week of the NFL season? And you still watch football???

You have no compassion or kindness in you. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
"High and mighty" for having an opinion that's different from yours. Clownishly insecure. You're the guy who hates dogs, too, though, right? Figures.
I don’t hate dogs.

I just don’t need one to give me a false sense of adoration every day when I come home and he’s starving and dying to go to the bathroom.

Reaction Score
Picked Angel of Empire and Tapit Trice on a box early today before the line moved. Should have done it last night, odds were better.
Serious question: you get to lock in the odds of a racing bet at the time you make the bet? It's not part of the pari-mutuel pool?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Serious question: you get to lock in the odds of a racing bet at the time you make the bet? It's not part of the pari-mutuel pool?
I think New Jersey has some form of fixed-odds wagering.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The Boneyard NCAA pool did pretty well this year. Most picked the champion.
Weren't there some guys who had us at the beginning of the season at 300 to 1??

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FYI, wild horses don't exist. Those horses out in the wild are feral, like cats.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nonsense. It's unfathomable to watch a horse suffer or get injured....but if it's an NFL player, you just hope it doesn't impact your fantasy football team. Hypocrites.

And horses are bred from generations of racing bloodlines. It's "in their blood" literally. You're assuming they don't want to or like running. They're herd animals that race each other in the wild. Animal behaviorists feel the horses like the race day environment and actually get excited for the race.
Here's a key difference: For many athletes, going pro is something they've worked all their lives to change their economic status, potentially for generations to come. It's a risk they sign up for. They know their careers are short, they're mostly aware of the risks of injury.

Racehorses don't see any of the money they win. They don't understand the risks. They simply do as told.

Are Racehorses Abused? The Cruel Facts Of Horseracing.

Reaction Score

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Horse racing only exists for gambling. It should go away now that people can more easily and legally gamble on events where competitors aren't regularly euthanized on the field/court/pitch.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
FYI, wild horses don't exist. Those horses out in the wild are feral, like cats.

In North America, and most of the world, this true. There are still wild horses, albeit they are endangered.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In North America, and most of the world, this true. There are still wild horses, albeit they are endangered.
Nope. All horses are feral. There were some in the Mongolia that were thought to be wild but have been discounted with recent research.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Nope. All horses are feral. There were some in the Mongolia that were thought to be wild but have been discounted with recent research.

That is the Takhi, interesting as I thought there was only a small population of truly wild left.

In Portugal there is the Garrano that is still wild in the Northern part of the country but is being threatened as people are capturing and breeding them for work horses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom