2023 Fall Camp | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 Fall Camp

Reaction Score

End around <<

-> "Last year was really nothing," Houston said. "Preparing my body this year is my goal. I'm lifting in order to take those hits and still be out here playing all the games. The more I play, the more I feel my confidence will go up. Last year was nothing compared to what I can do.

"I can show you all that I'm better in my pass blocking. I can be an every down back. I can get those tough runs. I can lower my shoulder and go and get that yard we need. That part of my game, you guys haven't really seen. Another year in this offense, I'll get to where I need to be as a player. I feel like I'm really coming along. I trust the coaches to get me where I need to be." <-

-> "I would say Devontae has improved in his pass protection," Mora said. "That is something you overlook a little bit, but backs are asked to protect in addition to catching the ball and running the ball. I've seen him stand in there and take some linebackers on and give the quarterback just enough time to get the ball off. For a 170-pounder when you have 230 pounds coming at you, that is not always fun. He stays in there, anchors down and gives us just enough for the quarterback to get the ball off.

"We want to be able to run the football," Mora added. "When you can run the football effectively, it opens up so many things for you offensively. With guys like Devontae or Brew they put pressure on the defense. The defense better be right, because those guys can find a gap and get through it. When they get through it they're hard to catch. You put Victor and Jalen (Mitchell) in there to pound them a little bit and beat them down a little bit." <-

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Joe M. can punt as well. Given the issues we had at that position last year, maybe he punts?

Reaction Score

End around <<

-> "Last year was really nothing," Houston said. "Preparing my body this year is my goal. I'm lifting in order to take those hits and still be out here playing all the games. The more I play, the more I feel my confidence will go up. Last year was nothing compared to what I can do.

"I can show you all that I'm better in my pass blocking. I can be an every down back. I can get those tough runs. I can lower my shoulder and go and get that yard we need. That part of my game, you guys haven't really seen. Another year in this offense, I'll get to where I need to be as a player. I feel like I'm really coming along. I trust the coaches to get me where I need to be." <-

-> "I would say Devontae has improved in his pass protection," Mora said. "That is something you overlook a little bit, but backs are asked to protect in addition to catching the ball and running the ball. I've seen him stand in there and take some linebackers on and give the quarterback just enough time to get the ball off. For a 170-pounder when you have 230 pounds coming at you, that is not always fun. He stays in there, anchors down and gives us just enough for the quarterback to get the ball off.

"We want to be able to run the football," Mora added. "When you can run the football effectively, it opens up so many things for you offensively. With guys like Devontae or Brew they put pressure on the defense. The defense better be right, because those guys can find a gap and get through it. When they get through it they're hard to catch. You put Victor and Jalen (Mitchell) in there to pound them a little bit and beat them down a little bit." <-

Once Houston gets in the open field, it's a wrap... Touchdown... Not big, 'Bama strong ( he's from Alabama... We need to cultivate that area more again... we had a couple of good ones come out of those parts that played for us in the past - Lawrence Wilson, Jorry Johnson come to mind )

Reaction Score
Back up kicker is a great gig.

A back up QB is expected to perform.

Back up kicker only comes in if the starter goes down, and if he does well, he's the hero. Shanks a game winning FG? Well, there's a reason he's the back up.
They're both good. I could see McFadden doing longer kicks and kickoffs and Ruelas handling all kicks from like 42 yds and in. Good college kickers are hard to find. We have two, which is pretty insane.

Reaction Score
RB room getting a lot of recent ink:

Assistance <<

-> "I think Brew has really good quickness," UConn second-year coach Jim Mora said. "I think Devontae is one of the fastest players on our football team, but Brew can run. He is hard to tackle in space because he is shifty, and he will pass protect as well.

"With both of those guys — given that they are not the biggest guys in stature — it is critical to have that depth. Because you can't ask the 170, 175-pounders just to run up in there all day long. It is going to take a toll on them. Having Jalen and Victor along with Devontae and Brew really helps us." <-

Reaction Score
Back up kicker is a great gig.

A back up QB is expected to perform.

Back up kicker only comes in if the starter goes down, and if he does well, he's the hero. Shanks a game winning FG? Well, there's a reason he's the back up.
I'm not an expert on this at all, but i seriously think we have 2 starter-level kickers on our roster. seriously wondering why one of them, presumably mcfadden, didn't just transfer out. they need to get their tape together to pitch to NFL.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on this at all, but i seriously think we have 2 starter-level kickers on our roster. seriously wondering why one of them, presumably mcfadden, didn't just transfer out. they need to get their tape together to pitch to NFL.
They are both young and that decision will be made after the season. If Ruelas is the kicker McFadden can still be the punter. Both will be there all season to push each other and be teammates. This is a great problem to have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom