2023 Fall Camp | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 Fall Camp

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> One hundred percent," Rosa said when asked if he was a better player now than the one who played against Marshall in the Myrtle Beach Bowl in December. "How? Because of the work I put in during the offseason, getting better every day whether it's in the run game or pass game. I'm bigger, faster, and stronger. I gained seven or eight pounds and didn't lose any speed. I can't wait.

"I got my feet wet last year and got to go out there and do my thing. I have games under my belt now and I'm more prepared." <-

-> Rosa will be part of the running back by committee plan that will include returning juniors Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton and graduate student Jalen Mitchell.

"Devontae, Brew, Victor, and now with Jalen in the mix, we feel good about all those guys," Mora said. "They're all a little different and that poses a problem for our opponents. They don't have the same style.

"And Victor is unique in that he's an angular runner and he runs with high knees and his elbows are out and he's tough to bring down. We love that about him. And he plays on special teams and catches the ball out of the backfield. I love where we're at in the running back position." <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<

-> “We’re not gonna wear a guy down. I think with guys like Devontae or Brewton, they put pressure on the defense. The defense better be right because those guys can find a gap. They can get through it and if they get through it, they’re hard to catch. You put Victor and Jalen in there to pound them a little bit, to beat them down a little bit… So having a healthy running game with improving our passing game, we should be a more effective offense.”

Mora also said the team is using Michigan tight end transfer Louis Hansen in a role reminiscent to that of the powerful runner Robert Burns, who is now competing for a spot with the Chicago Bears. Mitchell, though he’s 20 pounds lighter than Burns was, could also help in that role in addition to sophomore Hunter Clark, Mora said.<-

All great, but I really want to start hearing about Cam Ross. If he is the #1 he was before Covid and the injuries, we’ll be fine at WR.

-> Wide receiver Cam Ross was expected to be the Huskies’ top receiver in each of the last two seasons before he broke his right foot to end the 2021 campaign and broke the left during last year’s camp. UConn’s staff is being “very conservative” with how Ross is used ahead of this year, especially in camp, with hopes of finally getting him back to 100%.

“I have so much respect for Cam. To go through what he’s gone through the last few years – I mean, a lot of guys would’ve given it up and he hasn’t, he’s only worked harder, he’s doubled down on everything that he’s done,” Mora said. “We’ve got to get him to the starting line. That’s for our football team but maybe more importantly for Cam. So if he’s not feeling right we’re backing him off – today I noticed him limping and we backed him off. We’ve got to get him to the starting line, he deserves that and this team deserves that. <-

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Friends, teammates, Ruelas and McFadden are locked in fierce competition for one spot that can’t really be shared. For a team that figures to win its games without large margins for error, success or failure, bowl-bid or home for the holidays in 2023, could rest on Joe’s toe. Or Noe’s. “Joe’s a heck of a competitor and so is Noe,” coach Jim Mora said. “I think Joe is at 100 percent, and he looks really strong, and Noe’s not going to give in.”<-

-> “Off the field, we’re friends and we joke around and stuff,” Ruelas said. “On the field, we both respect each other. We both know we’re both pretty good and we could both be ‘the guy’ and we’re both pretty good. So there’s a friendly competition out there, but there’s only one No.1. We’re both very competitive. … We could be in the conversation for some of the best special teams rooms in the nation.”

A football team at any level is fortunate to have one kicker in which it can put its faith with a game on the line. At UConn, Ruelas and McFadden represent – would you believe it? – a luxury. Mora, looking for touchbacks and near-unerring accuracy inside 50 yards, estimated McFadden is slightly ahead at the moment – but what coach wouldn’t love having two trustworthy kickers going toe-to-toe? “You want guys on your football team that push each other to get better, but do it in a productive way,” Mora said. “Those guys are emblematic of that. It’s not often that you’d spend this much time talking about the kicking competition, but it’s a heck of a problem to have. It’s a great problem to have.” <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Friends, teammates, Ruelas and McFadden are locked in fierce competition for one spot that can’t really be shared. For a team that figures to win its games without large margins for error, success or failure, bowl-bid or home for the holidays in 2023, could rest on Joe’s toe. Or Noe’s. “Joe’s a heck of a competitor and so is Noe,” coach Jim Mora said. “I think Joe is at 100 percent, and he looks really strong, and Noe’s not going to give in.”<-

-> “Off the field, we’re friends and we joke around and stuff,” Ruelas said. “On the field, we both respect each other. We both know we’re both pretty good and we could both be ‘the guy’ and we’re both pretty good. So there’s a friendly competition out there, but there’s only one No.1. We’re both very competitive. … We could be in the conversation for some of the best special teams rooms in the nation.”

A football team at any level is fortunate to have one kicker in which it can put its faith with a game on the line. At UConn, Ruelas and McFadden represent – would you believe it? – a luxury. Mora, looking for touchbacks and near-unerring accuracy inside 50 yards, estimated McFadden is slightly ahead at the moment – but what coach wouldn’t love having two trustworthy kickers going toe-to-toe? “You want guys on your football team that push each other to get better, but do it in a productive way,” Mora said. “Those guys are emblematic of that. It’s not often that you’d spend this much time talking about the kicking competition, but it’s a heck of a problem to have. It’s a great problem to have.” <-

Back up kicker is a great gig.

A back up QB is expected to perform.

Back up kicker only comes in if the starter goes down, and if he does well, he's the hero. Shanks a game winning FG? Well, there's a reason he's the back up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom