Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How many here would complain if Hurley only made it to the Sweet Sixteen next year? And Hurley arguably has better talent vs his competition than Penders does.

Sure, we wanted Omaha, but there's not much to complain about here. Made it farther than all but 8 other teams.

Good year, fun ride, no shame in losing 2 of 3 to the #2 team.

Reaction Score
How many here would complain if Hurley only made it to the Sweet Sixteen next year? And Hurley arguably has better talent vs his competition than Penders does.

Sure, we wanted Omaha, but there's not much to complain about here. Made it farther than all but 8 other teams.

Unbelievable year. Can’t wait to see how we can leverage it for recruiting of freshman and, maybe more importantly, transfers.

Reaction Score
Great season.
Team did all the right things this year and without Crawford.
Won BE regular and tournament
Won the NCAA regional and beat MD twice at their place with a rowdy home crowd.
Shocked Stanford taking game one against the #2 overall seed.

Keep building it and looking forward to next year.

Reaction Score

Well put. Baseball takes extreme depth to make it through the tournament. Can’t rely on one hot hand. Takes almost the entire roster.

Reaction Score
Great season and so much to be proud of, most wins in franchise history, first Super Regional in a while as well. Losing some big pieces but with the uptick in recruiting we've had and the transfer portal I expect another competitive team next year

Reaction Score
C- Garbo
1st- Broadhurst
2nd- Smith
SS- Padilla
3rd- Brown
LF- Morton
CF- Simmons
RF- ?

SP1- Gallagher (if he isn’t drafted)
SP2- Coe
SP3- Cookie Monster

Long relief- mix of guys
Setup- Sully
Closer- Afthim
Hope we can work a bit more pop into the lineup…

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for sharing this season and post season with me. If I can’t be there in person, I like to be here on the boneyard sharing the highs and lows. We’ll be back at it in October for hockey. Have a great summer and gooo Huskies!

Reaction Score
C- Garbo
1st- Broadhurst
2nd- Smith
SS- Padilla
3rd- Brown
LF- Morton
CF- Simmons
RF- ?

SP2- Coe
SP3- Cookie Monster

Long relief- mix of guys
Setup- Sully
Closer- Afthim
Just building off this, Chris Jones mentioned the possibility of Huber, Donlan, Willis coming back if they're not drafted

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Celtics should hook the boys with tickets they r in San fran too bad big east is Fox not ESPN

Reaction Score
Let's get real for a moment. This team has exceeded all expectations. Does anyone think that a high school stud wants to come play in New England with 30-40 degree temperatures at the beginning of the season in February, followed by the first 15-20 games on the road? Jim takes the overlooked prospect and turns him into a bonafide D1 player. We will never have SEC/Pac 12/ACC/Big 12 caliber players. Geography, climate and P5 affiliation preclude our entry into that fraternity.

Sweet sixteen has been a terrific accomplishment. This isn't basketball. Baseball is not played indoors!

Well done, Jim...................and your players. I am proud of you.

Reaction Score
This was a great season, made greater by how unexpected it was to be this good. And we lost to a better team. We may find out we lost to the best team in the country. On the road.

That having been said, you want to end your season playing your best and losing to a better team. The last two days were far, far from our best. No one is trashing anything by noticing that.

Reaction Score
Incredible year. Gave us a ride and set a new standard for hook C baseball. 50 plus wins and a super regional….

@dbmill looking forward to the summer updates…

How many days till fall ball?

As @scotty0330 no doubt remembers, these UConn baseball threads don't totally fade out during the summer. Three main things to keep track of in terms of UConn baseball during this time.

One, as I'm guessing what @scotty0330 is alluding to, various UConn players and recruits will end up playing in various collegiate summer ball leagues. I find that always interesting to keep track off, especially after UConn baseball issues a release on where various players are going to play. I'm thinking that could come out in a week or so. Just so happens that two college summer league teams are playing at Dodd Stadium in Norwich this summer, the Norwich Sea Unicorns of the Futures League, and the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL, so there are plenty of potential games for me and my wife to watch.

Two, UConn baseball's recruiting commitments really kicks up during the summer and fall months. Always interesting to see who is committing to play with the program during that time, whether they are committing from high school or as some sort of transfer from another college.

And third, there is the MLB draft. Always exciting to see UConn players get picked. Never bothers me all that much when a player with college eligibility leaves the UConn program to go pro, since you have to expect that to happen with a quality college baseball program. It's a part of college baseball life, so to speak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C- Garbo
1st- Broadhurst
2nd- Smith
SS- Padilla
3rd- Brown
LF- Morton
CF- Simmons
RF- ?

SP2- Coe
SP3- Cookie Monster

Long relief- mix of guys
Setup- Sully
Closer- Afthim
Morton Center!

Reaction Score
C- Garbo
1st- Broadhurst
2nd- Smith
SS- Padilla
3rd- Brown
LF- Morton
CF- Simmons
RF- ?

SP2- Coe
SP3- Cookie Monster

Long relief- mix of guys
Setup- Sully
Closer- Afthim

I tend to doubt that Broadhurst will be at 1B, but we'll see. Kevin Ferrer graduated, but if he has eligibility remaining. If he comes back and remains healthy, he could potentially add a very nice bat to the lineup.

I'm inclined to think that Gallagher will probably be drafted, but we'll see on that one. The starting rotation will need to be rebuilt. It would seem likely that Ian Cooke will end up as a weekend starter.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Really proud of the entire team. It is amazing what Penders pieced together into a near elite lineup. I can’t help but think how Reggie could have impacted a few outcomes but ultimately these kids were phenomenal. Stanford is crazy good - arm after arm and incredible hitters. No shame in a tough series that got away from them on the road. Our departing players are going out on a high note.

Also want to say thanks to the fellow posters who stuck around from the start and those who joined us for the incredible finish. @ucjoet @dbmill @huskymedic and others for the posts, updates, prognostications. It’s been a blast. Appreciate you all.

Reaction Score
Nice year great run. Needed to get more after the 3 in the first with them loaded and no one out. Killer not adding on, 3rd too I think loaded with 1 out. Oh well they need pitching for sure, way too many very hittable arms in ‘pen.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Nice year great run. Needed to get more after the 3 in the first with them loaded and no one out. Killer not adding on, 3rd too I think loaded with 1 out. Oh well they need pitching for sure, way too many very hittable arms in ‘pen.

Our freshman pitchers looked better than the frosh that Stanford and Maryland ran out. I am confident in afthim, sully, cooke going forward. Even the lefty really showed something.

Most concerned about corner infield and outfield defense. A stud transfer pitcher would also help.

Reaction Score
Our freshman pitchers looked better than the frosh that Stanford and Maryland ran out. I am confident in afthim, sully, cooke going forward. Even the lefty really showed something.

Most concerned about corner infield and outfield defense. A stud transfer pitcher would also help.

In addition to Cooke, Afthim, and Sullivan, I'm inclined to think that freshman Braden Quinn could be a good arm going forward as well. Also, Chris Jones has mention a few times during game broadcasts this season that the coaching staff is really high on freshman pitcher Tom Ellisen, who was redshirted this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom