2022 Depth Chart Projections | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Depth Chart Projections

Reaction Score
The amazing thing to me is how few of the transfers we brought in are starting. We will be better or not this year mostly based on how well players recruited by Edsall do. That doesn’t make me optimistic, but we will see what we will see.
With one glaring exception at the sports most important position. With all due respect to last years quarterbacks, the talent level has VASTLY improved in that category… at least I hope (pray)

Reaction Score
I think we need to get better at ol and qb…I think we are at qb … not sure about the ol

Reaction Score
I think we need to get better at ol and qb…I think we are at qb … not sure about the ol

Last year we started a redshirt freshman at OT. So there's that.

The thing that Mora has said over and again is that he found good talent at UConn. The main thing the we lacked was quality depth. So while only a few of the transfers have made the starting eleven, they have a huge impact on our depth.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about anybody else, but UConn has 5 starters out of 22 who were transfers this year, or 23% which I think is a large number. And, the P and LS are also transfers In this year.

Fortunately, the first game is Saturday, so we will have some new data points to argue about.

Reaction Score
The amazing thing to me is how few of the transfers we brought in are starting. We will be better or not this year mostly based on how well players recruited by Edsall do. That doesn’t make me optimistic, but we will see what we will see.
5 seems like a lot. Especially since 3 are right up the middle on offense being center/QB/RB. Lot of transfers really are early in their careers like OL kid from New Canaan and OL kid who went to Alabama.
A linebacker that actually tackles (hopefully) from the SEC is a nice get and the tall WR from ODU will get a lot of playing time.

Those Edsall recruits who returned were part of a team that did a lot better against Wyoming than the 11-3 Utah State team did in 2021.

2022 will show how astoundingly bad HCRE2.0 and his coaching crew were.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not pissing on the new regime. I am pissing on what I view as claiming that irrational exuberance is logical analysis.

Irrational exuberance. Very nice reference there.

I will add the seeming upgrade at QB alone has me somewhat excited. I have little doubt all 4 QB's were given legitimate chances to show their stuff and I belive the QB situation is as strong of a group as we have seen in several years. That and beefing up the DL and LB corps has me optimistic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The coaches main job is recruiting/talent improvement. Edsall and Mora could both teach us how to run cover 2, or which concepts to beat it. What butters their bread is which players they secure through recruitment, otherwise the best coaches, Saban for example, would recruit 3 stars and avoid the fighting for 4/5 star talent. It’s reality that Moras first season will probably end in underwhelming fashion if he’s still relying upon the FCS level talent from last year. In 2 or 3 years we’ll know if the transfers and recruits he’s brought in are upgrades, but it also isn’t fair to expect this years freshmen to completely steal the show from the current upperclassmen at most positions.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not pissing on the new regime. I am pissing on what I view as claiming that irrational exuberance is logical analysis.
I would rather have a positive to start the season then being a curmudgeon

Reaction Score
I’ve watched enough college football to know that improvement isn’t necessarily linear. Don’t often go from 1-11 to 11-1, but bad teams winning 5-6 games under a new coach happens fairly frequently.

FWIW, I also think coaching matters and is about more that recruiting. I remember one analyst saying of UConn in the RE1 era that they didn’t have the best players but they have the best team. Recruiting is important, sure. But especially at our level, coaching players up is at least as important.

Reaction Score
The coaches main job is recruiting/talent improvement. Edsall and Mora could both teach us how to run cover 2, or which concepts to beat it. What butters their bread is which players they secure through recruitment, otherwise the best coaches, Saban for example, would recruit 3 stars and avoid the fighting for 4/5 star talent. It’s reality that Moras first season will probably end in underwhelming fashion if he’s still relying upon the FCS level talent from last year. In 2 or 3 years we’ll know if the transfers and recruits he’s brought in are upgrades, but it also isn’t fair to expect this years freshmen to completely steal the show from the current upperclassmen at most positions.
You should go look at the offer list of the upperclassmen. Crazy to think we have FCS level talent, we literally had couple kids transfer out to couple p5 schools who were on the 1-11 team. You forget we had horrible qbs and Edsall didn’t play the best players but had favorites. What’s not fair is writing the kids off who were underclass men last year and referring them has low level FCS talent. Imagine if all our starters who are Edsall recruits transferred out, Mora will be starting basically from scratch like Edsall did. Mora already said this roster was already talented but seems you know more about the roster than more Mora.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
this is what "coaching up" implies to me. Could be that some Eddall guys are better than we think

Reaction Score
As someone who believes they are rational and sane I feel like I have some irrational expectations because the “new” season is like hitting the reset button. My main reasons why I am on the bandwagon:

1. New staff who are clearly “all in” and wanted this challenge
  2. I know with first hand information the culture of the team has changed for the better and quite a bit; Edsall lead team even last year was toxic at best
  3. As anyone who has played team sports knows when the team has “chemistry “ it leads to better results.
  4. Upgraded QB position talent overall
  5. Upgraded depth
I have been talking with my fellow fans leading up to this game that we will know a lot by halftime of Saturdays game. If it is same old crap (we will know it just by watching how the game unfolds regardless of actual score) It may actually throw me into a full on depression. I really never knew how important this team/program and it’s success mean to me until enduring this awful stretch.

Reaction Score
"Irrational exuberance" is virtually the definition of being sports fan. The word fan is a shortened form of the word fanatic. Caring whether a sports team wins or loses is not rational. The definition of exuberance is "the quality of being full of energy, excitement, and cheerfulness; ebullience." Those are exactly the qualities that makes people enjoy sports.

If you are NOT irrationally exuberant, what's the point?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
IDK- guess they just hang around to tell the fans that they are irrational which I guess is their sport.

Reaction Score
"Irrational exuberance" is virtually the definition of being sports fan. The word fan is a shortened form of the word fanatic. Caring whether a sports team wins or loses is not rational. The definition of exuberance is "the quality of being full of energy, excitement, and cheerfulness; ebullience." Those are exactly the qualities that makes people enjoy sports.

Could not agree more. We should all be applauded for hanging in there with maybe the worst program over the last 5 years. Saw a friend wearing an Alabama tee and though, "Alabama doesn't need another fan, but UConn sure needs us". So I'd prefer not to be overly objective or analytical about this. Yes, I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but there is always the next game.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can someone clarify what position the FL is? I can't imagine this team is employing a fullback so is it another TE or WR position?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You should go look at the offer list of the upperclassmen. Crazy to think we have FCS level talent, we literally had couple kids transfer out to couple p5 schools who were on the 1-11 team. You forget we had horrible qbs and Edsall didn’t play the best players but had favorites. What’s not fair is writing the kids off who were underclass men last year and referring them has low level FCS talent. Imagine if all our starters who are Edsall recruits transferred out, Mora will be starting basically from scratch like Edsall did. Mora already said this roster was already talented but seems you know more about the roster than more Mora.

The upgrade at QB alone could be worth 2 wins. And I'm not expecting 65% or better completion percentage and 300ypg throwing the ball. But but Roberson and Turner can get yards with their legs and can throw a deep ball. UConn hasn't had this type of depth of similar styles in forever. There's been a few who could tuck and run but if they got hurt, the back up was no where that level of being able to step in and continue.

Reaction Score
The upgrade at QB alone could be worth 2 wins. And I'm not expecting 65% or better completion percentage and 300ypg throwing the ball. But but Roberson and Turner can get yards with their legs and can throw a deep ball. UConn hasn't had this type of depth of similar styles in forever. There's been a few who could tuck and run but if they got hurt, the back up was no where that level of being able to step in and continue.
If any of the upgrades at QB can perform (from the start of the season) at a level as, say Tyler Lorenzen, then we've got something....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If any of the upgrades at QB can perform (from the start of the season) at a level as, say Tyler Lorenzen, then we've got something....

Even a full year of what Tyler Phommachanh gave last year. Big difference is when a Lorenzen, Pindell, or a Tyler Phommachanh went down, there was no depth of a similar style QB to keep the momentum.

If Roberson can't perform, the coaches seem confident in Turner. If Turner can't perform there is a Tyler Phommachanh who hopefully is healthy to return. Millen is the only odd ball, but even with him, I've seen the videos of coaches encouraged by his mobility.

Reaction Score
I agree. At minimum I would think we can expect our new QB to be able to tuck and run for 3-4 first downs per game like TL did.

Reaction Score
Even a full year of what Tyler Phommachanh gave last year. Big difference is when a Lorenzen, Pindell, or a Tyler Phommachanh went down, there was no depth of a similar style QB to keep the momentum.

If Roberson can't perform, the coaches seem confident in Turner. If Turner can't perform there is a Tyler Phommachanh who hopefully is healthy to return. Millen is the only odd ball, but even with him, I've seen the videos of coaches encouraged by his mobility.
According to Mora, Millen is the fastest of the bunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom