2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Natabou from Sacramento St. belongs on the list of best available bigs in the portal. I'd take her over Ware from Arizona in a heartbeat.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
GOS (grain of salt) tweet here, since I don't follow him.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
GOS (grain of salt) tweet here, since I don't follow him.

Jeff Metcalfe was the LONGTIME beat writer for The Arizona Republic, covering ASU women's basketball and the Phoenix Mercury. He is HIGHLY decorated for his journalistic work.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Natabou from Sacramento St. belongs on the list of best available bigs in the portal. I'd take her over Ware from Arizona in a heartbeat.
Interesting. Don't get to see much of her in the Garden State.
What do you like about her game?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting. Don't get to see much of her in the Garden State.
What do you like about her game?
Physically strong, tough, relentless. And she just produces. Ware never really has. I haven't seen a lot of her, but she was really eye catching when I did. She had a good game against UCLA in the Tourney and looked dominant in the Big Sky.

Reaction Score
Is it bad I’m hoping that Taiyanna Jackson is next? And that she’s looking at UConn?
Nope, I have the same wish. The intrigue factor seems to be increasing, particularly with her deadline for declaring for the draft ending today I think, and several Kansas players leaving. If WNBA is out and not much reason to return to a team with multiple departures, the odds of her winding up in the portal would seem to have gone up substantially.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Nope, I have the same wish. The intrigue factor seems to be increasing, particularly with her deadline for declaring for the draft ending today I think, and several Kansas players leaving. If WNBA is out and not much reason to return to a team with multiple departures, the odds of her winding up in the portal would seem to have gone up substantially.
I wouldn't stake too much on those particular players. Out of the three, Chatzileonti played just under 300 minutes and the others were clearly stuck to the bench. This isn't a case of Jackson's main colleagues walking out of the gym.

Can understand the excitement for her, but this team just won the WNIT and will be playing in a conference they could have a chance of capturing next year.

On the other hand, with Kitley going back to school, it might be a good time to enter the draft. Or go to a place that could offer her a high profile and better chance of going into the draft. While I know UConn could fit that description, I could offer you a place slightly closer to her Chicago home: Iowa. Jen Jensen is one fine post coach with her emphasis on footwork. (Of course, if she'd like to travel the mere 80 miles from Chicago to South Bend, I wouldn't mind, either ;) )

Reaction Score
?? He'd like tall(er) guards who can shoot and defend? Such as Sydney Parrish, who left Oregon for a starting role at a #1 seed in Indiana? Or Maddie Scherr, who did whatever Graves asked of her, until he found a shinier toy with Rogers?

Sometimes looking for the next best thing ends up being a never-ending circle chase.
?? He'd like tall(er) guards who can shoot and defend? Such as Sydney Parrish, who left Oregon for a starting role at a #1 seed in Indiana? Or Maddie Scherr, who did whatever Graves asked of her, until he found a shinier toy with Rogers?

Sometimes looking for the next best thing ends up being a never-ending circle chase.
If the implication is that Graves didn’t want Parrish and Scherr to stay at Oregon that would be news to me. Parrish started every game (32-32) and her minutes were second on the team… to Scherr’s. ( who started 28-32). The portal is what it is. Both players went back to their home states. They made personal/family decisions. It certainly wasn’t anything to do with PT or disfavor by staff.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't stake too much on those particular players. Out of the three, Chatzileonti played just under 300 minutes and the others were clearly stuck to the bench. This isn't a case of Jackson's main colleagues walking out of the gym.

Can understand the excitement for her, but this team just won the WNIT and will be playing in a conference they could have a chance of capturing next year.

On the other hand, with Kitley going back to school, it might be a good time to enter the draft. Or go to a place that could offer her a high profile and better chance of going into the draft. While I know UConn could fit that description, I could offer you a place slightly closer to her Chicago home: Iowa. Jen Jensen is one fine post coach with her emphasis on footwork. (Of course, if she'd like to travel the mere 80 miles from Chicago to South Bend, I wouldn't mind, either ;) )
After looking at the stats for the departing players, I agree with you that their departure does not change the dynamics much, it could even work in the opposite direction if clearing out less relevant players enabled Kansas to bring in high level transfers themselves. You could of course make a pretty good case for a number of schools for her. Iowa to my recollection has a 6-4 player coming in and a big that performed well as a freshmen this year to replace Cizano, but of course could be interested in her too, but I'm not sure if any school could team her with players at positions 1-4 like Uconn.

Reaction Score
So basically Oregon has no one from that #1 recruiting class left...
to be fair that whole class seemed poisoned from sedona prince and nyara sabally who thought they were the best thing since sliced bread

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I can see Paopao at Arizona or TCU!

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A lot of coaches are getting very tacky out on social media. Didn't Nared leave Arizona for a similar job at Oregon a couple of years ago? She was on the sidelines for Arizona's championship game against Stanford on April 5. On April 30 she was named an assistant coach at Oregon. Hmmmmmmn . . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Something is up when the starting PG on a pretty good team and one who is well regarded suddenly enters the portal. What does the player want? Is it a championship, NIL money, maybe both?

Pao Pao was given the keys to run a team early on at Oregon and she did very well. This reminds me of Owusu but hopefully doesn't turn out the same way for her.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Something is up when the starting PG on a pretty good team and one who is well regarded suddenly enters the portal. What does the player want? Is it a championship, NIL money, maybe both?

Pao Pao was given the keys to run a team early on at Oregon and she did very well. This reminds me of Owusu but hopefully doesn't turn out the same way for her.
How do we know it was "suddenly"? She could have been planning this move for weeks/months.

Perhaps Oregon not reaching the NCAA tourney this season was a factor. An assistant coach or two left during the 3 seasons while she was there. Perhaps the other defections had an effect on her decisions. Perhaps she wants to play closer to home. Perhaps she will be receiving an undergraduate degree soon and wants to pursue a Masters degree elsewhere.

We might never know her reasons; but, this is her first transfer. She's allowed to do what is best for her (in her eyes).

Reaction Score
So basically Oregon has no one from that #1 recruiting class left...
to be fair that whole class seemed poisoned from sedona prince and nyara sabally who thought they were the best thing since sliced bread
8- Parrish - Indiana
11- Pao Pao - Portal
17- Watson - Notre Dame
19- Scherr- Kentucky
22- Dugalic - UCLA

The transfer era is nuts. Getting the top recruiting class used to mean sustained success, especially a 5 player one that covered multiple positions. This class reminds me of the Deshields/Alisha Gray class for UNC that never materialized.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How do we know it was "suddenly"? She could have been planning this move for weeks/months.

Perhaps Oregon not reaching the NCAA tourney this season was a factor. An assistant coach or two left during the 3 seasons while she was there. Perhaps the other defections had an effect on her decisions. Perhaps she wants to play closer to home. Perhaps she will be receiving an undergraduate degree soon and wants to pursue a Masters degree elsewhere.

We might never know her reasons; but, this is her first transfer. She's allowed to do what is best for her (in her eyes).
So if @MSSportsGuy didn't include the word "suddenly", then all would be good with the post?
Personally I think every time a player enters the portal, it is "suddenly" because hardly anyone knows about it until Raoul, another person or the player themselves announce it on social media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin