2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1680194274475.png

Reaction Score
Why would it be obvious? Can a player that has entered the portal contact a player on a different team that she is interested in? I mean with the numerous social media apps, wouldn’t it be a way to communicate?
So if player A entered the portal, could she tweet Paige?

A Belmont coach said their player was being contacting before entering the portal

Reaction Score
Why would it be obvious? Can a player that has entered the portal contact a player on a different team that she is interested in? I mean with the numerous social media apps, wouldn’t it be a way to communicate?
So if player A entered the portal, could she tweet Paige?
If Wells was in the portal I'm sure the coach would have never sent the tweet.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A Belmont coach said their player was being contacting before entering the portal
I was not responding to a post concerning the Belmont coach or any of his players.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If Wells was in the portal I'm sure the coach would have never sent the tweet.
I was not referring to Wells or any specific player. I was referring to any player that had entered the portal according to NCAA rules and wanted to contact a player or coach of a different team.

Reaction Score
I was not referring to Wells or any specific player. I was referring to any player that had entered the portal according to NCAA rules and wanted to contact a player or coach of a different team.
That's fine.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wells was a big part of that run. That Belmont had a couple of years ago. A point guard who can score.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
oh wow another stinky situation here lol....Geno said when a player enters the portal and has a decision within the first 48-72 hours there's obviously some illegal recruiting happening during the season and its becoming more obvious imo.
I think the word "illegal" is being used quite loosely in a few posts and not really accurate.

I don't believe it's "illegal" for college coaches to reach out to the family, club coaches, high school coaches, etc. of a player who has not yet entered the transfer portal; it is against the rules for them to contact the player directly. Now, it might be "unethical" for coaches to be reaching out to a player's inner circle, but not "illegal".

Reaction Score
I think the word "illegal" is being used quite loosely in a few posts and not really accurate.

I don't believe it's "illegal" for college coaches to reach out to the family, club coaches, high school coaches, etc. of a player who has not yet entered the transfer portal; it is against the rules for them to contact the player directly. Now, it might be "unethical" for coaches to be reaching out to a player's inner circle, but not "illegal".
I tend to think that most of the shenanigans that have occurred over the years with recruiting, not just now with the portal, fall into the unethical category.

Many of these players are friends, or friends of friends, who communicate with each other in ways that would have required picking up a phone and having to call someone at a time they would be home and able to talk 30 years ago. Now? A former coach can text someone, who can DM someone, who suddenly finds themselves communicating through someone else.

It isn't pretty but it's the world we live in now.

Reaction Score

I would use the term "violation" since we're potentially talking about an NCAA rule infraction.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I would use the term "violation" since we're potentially talking about an NCAA rule infraction.
Yep, in the context of "improper contact" with the actual player, I would say "illegal" and "violation" mean the same thing.

But, "improper contact" does not extend to the inner circle of a player who has not yet entered the transfer portal. I mean, even beginning to "follow" a player (who has not yet entered the transfer portal) on social media like twitter or Instagram is not a violation, I believe. I mean, a lot of coaches were following these players when they were still in high school, or entered the transfer portal a first time, and doing go "unfollow" them once they sign with a different school. There is just no way the NCAA can monitor social media "follows" as a means to determine improper contact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Brynn Masikewich has been injured almost her entire time at UCLA. She began to see game action in the last third of her senior season. Reports are that she has finished or is finishing her undergraduate degree. By my calculations, she has a minimum of 2 years of eligibility left to pursue a graduate degree. UCLA is currently jammed at the "stretch 4" with Emily Bessoir, Angela Dugalic, and Lina Sontag. Also post players Izzy Anstey, Christeen Iwuala, and incoming Amanda Muse would preclude her seeing the floor much. She showed some flashes of range and decent post moves, but was still slow on defense. Brynn is an absolute asset as a teammate and great in the locker room. Barring further injuries, she would be a nice presence on team that needs front court depth.

Reaction Score

Not surprised by this. Bryn has had a lot of bad luck with injuries, including that one season she spent home in Canada recuperating. She had a lot of potential coming out of HS, with some thinking she'd surpass her older sister who played for a very successful program at University of Saskatchewan. Wishing her all the best.

Reaction Score

Okay - what is going on in Michigan? An Elite 8 team last year and now they're losing players who were supposed to help them continue to build on what has been accomplished.

They have more players in the portal than Michigan State who don't even have a new coach yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom