2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While not wanting to disparage Martinez or Prince, they both need to figure out what they want. Martinez's announcement to me screams "looking for the best deal". I get that many players can and are doing that in the NIL days but being obvious about it seems too much.

Prince has struggled with injury issues throughout her career and I'm not sure how much she could add to a program at this point. Earlier she mentioned she would forgo any remaining eligibility to focus on the WNBA. She's a talented player but I wonder if she would survive in the WNBA or if her health would allow it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Shouldn't these kinds of questions be directed at the coaching staff? It's not like any of us can put her on the team.
Do you really think anyone on the coaching staff would read or respond to any correspondence from anyone of us? :eek: Most coaches think the fans are clueless and have no idea of what's going on with their respective programs. Geno said as much during a presser once.

Reaction Score
To be exact, according to Raoul's blog:

In 2021-22, there were:
  • 1,331 Total
  • 269 from P-5 Schools
  • 1,062 Non P-5's
  • 192 Players who had previously transferred

In 2022-23 (so far)
  • 302 Total Transfers
  • 87 P-5 Transfers (about 1/3 of last year)
  • 215 from Non P-5's
  • 34 who had previously transferred

So, if you feel there are less transfers that you're reading about than lat year, you're right...so far.

One possible reason I can see for this is that the Covid exemption only applies to juniors and seniors now, cutting down on the multiple years a player might get.

And, who knows, maybe coaching staffs are addressing issues that players cited when they transferred (more open communications?).

Stay tuned.
Did the blog give the timeframe for the transfers from last season? I would think we would have heard from a majority of players with that intention by now but don’t remember how it has previously happened.

Reaction Score
To be exact, according to Raoul's blog:

In 2021-22, there were:
  • 1,331 Total
  • 269 from P-5 Schools
  • 1,062 Non P-5's
  • 192 Players who had previously transferred

In 2022-23 (so far)
  • 302 Total Transfers
  • 87 P-5 Transfers (about 1/3 of last year)
  • 215 from Non P-5's
  • 34 who had previously transferred

So, if you feel there are less transfers that you're reading about than lat year, you're right...so far.

One possible reason I can see for this is that the Covid exemption only applies to juniors and seniors now, cutting down on the multiple years a player might get.

And, who knows, maybe coaching staffs are addressing issues that players cited when they transferred (more open communications?).

Stay tuned.
Wasn’t last year the first year of the immediate ability to play after transfer? Is so, that could also have impacted the higher numbers.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t last year the first year of the immediate ability to play after transfer? Is so, that could also have impacted the higher numbers.
I think this and one less class eligible for the Covid year must be the reason.

Reaction Score

We need a "winner" emoji here so I could have applied that to your observations there. :)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn't touch Prince with a 10 foot pole if I'm Geno. She’s big and skilled but isn’t the most basketball focused player, nor does she like competing down low. My guess is she ends up somewhere that packages some big NIL deals for her. She has a massive Tik Tok following similar to the Cavinder Twins.
I think there are plenty of red flags; just hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction.

When she left Texas she couldn't wait to tell her story about how Texas doctors didn't take care of her properly, and then cried to her new Oregon fans about all her medical bills (which she knowingly accrued by going outside the Texas medical team to seek her own surgeon in New York, I believe). She never filed a lawsuit against Texas despite her public accusations (of medical negligence?). You would think it would have been a slam dunk based all the details she provided to the journalist who published her sob story.

I believe she started a go-fund-me account for donations toward her bills; not sure how much she collected from the Oregon faithful. She then filed a lawsuit against the NCAA; I forget what that was about (unequal training centers for the women at the "bubble" in San Antonio during the COVID NCAA tournament in 2021?).

Reaction Score
I think there are plenty of red flags; just hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction.

When she left Texas she couldn't wait to tell her story about how Texas doctors didn't take care of her properly, and then cried to her new Oregon fans about all her medical bills (which she knowingly accrued by going outside the Texas medical team to seek her own surgeon in New York, I believe). She never filed a lawsuit against Texas despite her public accusations (of medical negligence?). You would think it would have been a slam dunk based all the details she provided to the journalist who published her sob story.

I believe she started a go-fund-me account for donations toward her bills; not sure how much she collected from the Oregon faithful. She then filed a lawsuit against the NCAA; I forget what that was about (unequal training centers for the women at the "bubble" in San Antonio during the COVID NCAA tournament in 2021?).

I think the lawsuit was before the 2021 NCAA tournament. Related to being able to profit of her name, prior to NIL being a thing.

https://www./features/morning-post-up-oct-30-2022-nil-antitrust-lawsuit-ncaa-sedona-prince/

Reaction Score

Mya Perry out of Ohio State. Freshman guard, played in only 6 games averaging 3.3 MPG

Reaction Score
Well well.

She had a bad season-ending injury a few weeks ago. Might not play much next season. Wonder if that changed her or Maryland's thinking on where to go...

Reaction Score
She had a bad season-ending injury a few weeks ago. Might not play much next season. Wonder if that changed her or Maryland's thinking on where to go...

I'd think her since her sister is in the portal

Reaction Score
I'd think her since her sister is in the portal
First Mila announced she is in the portal today. Not a surprise that her sister was released from her NLI. She (Amiyah) did have a very bad foot injury and was expected to redshirt. I wonder where they'll end up. That team could get a big surprise in the 2025 class with their elite sister Kira.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Ouch. Clearly one of the bright spots who I'm sure was counted on as a building block for Coach Marisa Mosely.
And she Wilke was having success.

Wilke is from nearly Beaver Dam, Wisc., and Wisconsin was the natural fit. I read a few articles about her commitment and she said that she was drawn to the then "family atmosphere" set by then Head Coach Jonathan Tsipis. She then sat out her natural frosh year recovering from an ACL.

So, what's next? Interestingly, Tsipis is serving as an advisor to Coach Megan Duffy at Marquette. Duffy is possibly losing Jordan King if she doesn't take the covid year exemption. Or, could she hear from the new staff at Minnesota?

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score

I remember the story and had sympathy for her situation. Clearly I have no idea what went on and even with the likelihood of journalistic spin, the situation still sounded like a tough one that could have been handled differently.

Despite that, the larger red flag to me is adding her to a roster with no real way to know how much she is able to contribute.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also, dissatisfied players have already used their freeby, so it becomes a harder decision to transfer again. If 1000 D1 college players have already used their free transfer, that shortens the number likely to transfer by about 1/4. One class fewer with a 5 season window and 1/4 already having transferred once means maybe 1/2 fewer 'likely' transfers? Added in those that already used that 5th year window ...

Covid year already added 25% more potential players to the pool of college athletes and that will continue for 2 more years - and that adds stress to HS students committing and freshmen and now sophomores already in college. I would expect the graduate transfer pool to remain strong for the next 2 years, while the undergraduate transfers will diminish as each year the pool of college players with a free transfer available to them shrinks - it will reach some form of equilibrium at the same time that the covid year pool disappears.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I just googled "Sedona Prince" to see if there was confirmation of her being in the portal and this was the first article that came up. Just oozes drama and mentions another potential lawsuit for defamation. It's a shame since she's about as naturally gifted a player as you'll find at 6-7. Players of her talent caliber don't come around often.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The late lamented Wonkster correctly informed me that I should have named the Russian mystery player Ivana Steponyavich instead of Stepovaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom