2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Again......................there's speculation and rumor going through the yard that IT'S POSSIBLE that Geno may be contemplating adding one more player to next year's roster from the portal. Perhaps another foreign-born player may be on the horizon. :rolleyes:
There is that 7'2" Russian player. Her name escapes me. Ivana Stepovaya or something like that.

Reaction Score
This is the type of player I’d like to see UConn go after. Size, rebounding, effective FG% and protects the paint. If she enters as a Grad-Transfer, I’d be all over her.

She’s currently playing in the WNIT and I was beyond impressed.

She would be near the top of any wish list.

Reaction Score
Seems Emily Ryan might stay the course. Same thing happened with Maryland last year & Diamond Miller became the star. Wonder if Ryan is thinking the same thing?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Per WNBA draft rules, if you declare for the draft, you forfeit your remaining college eligibility. Is this rule no longer in effect because of COVID Year eligibility for this senior class?

Reaction Score
When they declare for the draft, the renounce any remaining college eligibility. So the math isn’t mathing, with these situations
And hasn't Martinez transferred more than once? Or is she a grad transfer situation, if she can actually transfer?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And hasn't Martinez transferred more than once? Or is she a grad transfer situation, if she can actually transfer?
She seems very wishy washy. Last summer she committed to LSU, and then a couple days later took a visit to Arizona and committed there...I seem to remember the same thing coming out of HS for her also..

Reaction Score
Per WNBA draft rules, if you declare for the draft, you forfeit your remaining college eligibility. Is this rule no longer in effect because of COVID Year eligibility for this senior class?

I believe as long as they don’t hire an agent, they can withdraw their name.

Reaction Score
I believe as long as they don’t hire an agent, they can withdraw their name.
That might be the reason. In that case maybe they can explore both their draft prospects and portal opportunities. If they get an offer from a college situation they like perhaps they can still withdraw just before the draft on the 10th. If true Prince and Martinez become two of the top portal prospects. Uconn take note!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She seems very wishy washy. Last summer she committed to LSU, and then a couple days later took a visit to Arizona and committed there...I seem to remember the same thing coming out of HS for her also..
She even signed ASA paperwork with LSU. But, apparently those are non-binding.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, Sedona transferred once already, but she sat out one season; that means she for sure has her one-time transfer exception for immediate eligibility available.

Esmery Martinez transferred from West Virginia to Arizona, and Lauren Field transferred from Oklahoma State to Arizona. Each spent 3 seasons at their original school; not sure if they grad-transferred, but I get the feeling they did not; both most likely used their one-time transfer exception for immediate eligibility available. I'm assuming that both will have to graduate from Arizona this semester or the summer in order to grad-transfer to a new school an be eligible immediately.

Reaction Score
So, Sedona transferred once already, but she sat out one season; that means she for sure has her one-time transfer exception for immediate eligibility available.

Esmery Martinez transferred from West Virginia to Arizona, and Lauren Field transferred from Oklahoma State to Arizona. Each spent 3 seasons at their original school; not sure if they grad-transferred, but I get the feeling they did not; both most likely used their one-time transfer exception for immediate eligibility available. I'm assuming that both will have to graduate from Arizona this semester or the summer in order to grad-transfer to a new school an be eligible immediately.
Fields is a grad transfer per WBB Blog.

Reaction Score
Not sure Sedona is a culture match but I think Isnelle Natabou might be.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Part of me feels like she also committed somewhere else out of high school before going to West Virginia…was it Mississippi State? But never attended.
She signed with Miss. State. Then, she was released from her LOI and signed with Texas and Karen Aston; her name was on the official roster and I believe there was an official statement about her joining the program. The next thing we know, she's removed from the roster and is part of the WVU program. All that before the first day of her college freshman season.

Reaction Score
It hadn’t occurred to me that Prince had any eligibility left. She seems like the only post player Geno might be interested in.

Reaction Score
Part of me feels like she also committed somewhere else out of high school before going to West Virginia…was it Mississippi State? But never attended.
I hate to criticize a kid for choosing what they think is best for them but Martinez can't seem to commit to anything.

She originally committed to Miss St, decommitted, committed to Texas (to follow Vic I thought originally), signed but ended up backing out and months later ended up at WVU. She enters the portal, signs with LSU, then days later commits to Arizona after a visit. After one year at AZ she is now back window shopping/browsing WNBA option.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It hadn’t occurred to me that Prince had any eligibility left. She seems like the only post player Geno might be interested in.
I don't think she considers herself a post player despite being 6'7. Seems to hate physical play and contact, and has never been a good rebounder (even back to her high school days).

Reaction Score
I don't think she considers herself a post player despite being 6'7. Seems to hate physical play and contact, and has never been a good rebounder (even back to her high school days).
If so, her possibility of a career in the pros will be severely limited.

Reaction Score
I hate to criticize a kid for choosing what they think is best for them but Martinez can't seem to commit to anything.

She originally committed to Miss St, decommitted, committed to Texas (to follow Vic I thought originally), signed but ended up backing out and months later ended up at WVU. She enters the portal, signs with LSU, then days later commits to Arizona after a visit. After one year at AZ she is now back window shopping/browsing WNBA option.
She committed to Mississippi State then decommitted and committed to Texas (a season before Coach Schaefer’s departure from MSU to Texas) then ended up at West Virginia. She is a 2019 high school grad with R Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom