2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
Miami is a revolving door.
When you don't really care enough to hire a good coach, that tends to happen. They got lucky with Richt, then unlucky when he stepped down. He left them with a good situation though, by sparing them money he was owed and by leaving the incredible practice facility that he led the way in getting built. Of course they promptly blew that by hiring Diaz which is probably the main reason the AD got shown the door.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many coaches do well in the AAC and then struggle or flop at their next job. Fuente, Frost, Herman, Norvell, Butch Davis, all seemed to be can't miss rising star coaches.

The only ex Big East /AAC coach that has really made a name for himself at his next job is Brian Kelly at ND. Am I missing any?
Charlie Strong, of course, that sob. On the struggle side, didn't do great at Texas

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe Fuentes at Va Tech was a similar cultural mismatch to Moorehead at MSU. He is a midwest guy and cut his teeth as a coach in Texas. There should be a couple Texad jobs at a level at least similar to FIU open soon. He should look there.

Reaction Score
I believe Fuentes at Va Tech was a similar cultural mismatch to Moorehead at MSU. He is a midwest guy and cut his teeth as a coach in Texas. There should be a couple Texad jobs at a level at least similar to FIU open soon. He should look there.
He did feel like a strange fit to me. Maybe it is just because I still can't imagine anyone other than Frank Beamer as their coach.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
And for the record, Memphis Tn is not Bristol Tn. From Memphis a good spit would land in Arkansas.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many coaches do well in the AAC and then struggle or flop at their next job. Fuente, Frost, Herman, Norvell, Butch Davis, all seemed to be can't miss rising star coaches.

The only ex Big East /AAC coach that has really made a name for himself at his next job is Brian Kelly at ND. Am I missing any?
Norvell is going to make it at FSU. He had a lot to fix coming in and they are starting to look pretty good.
Frost has a tough job, Nebraska seems to be giving him some rope.
Herman and Fuente both surprised me. I thought they'd both do great. Sometimes, if you don't get a program defining player on offense, like a great QB or a franchise RB, things can get ugly fast at these high profile jobs. You aren't going to win big without a couple of truly great players.

Reaction Score
Norvell is going to make it at FSU. He had a lot to fix coming in and they are starting to look pretty good.
Frost has a tough job, Nebraska seems to be giving him some rope.
Herman and Fuente both surprised me. I thought they'd both do great. Sometimes, if you don't get a program defining player on offense, like a great QB or a franchise RB, things can get ugly fast at these high profile jobs. You aren't going to win big without a couple of truly great players.
These coaches also usually have a big time QB on the team they inherit. Frost had Milton. Herman had Greg Ward Jr. Lynch committed to Memphis under Fuente but I'm not sure if Memphis was already recruiting him.

Reaction Score
I usually don't take this view, but FIU should probably shut it down at this point.
Nah. They’ve got millions in exit fees coming their way. They’ll survive on that for a few more years.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
These coaches also usually have a big time QB on the team they inherit. Frost had Milton. Herman had Greg Ward Jr. Lynch committed to Memphis under Fuente but I'm not sure if Memphis was already recruiting him.
Strong with Bridgewater was the biggest example of a QB making a coach look better than they were.

Reaction Score

Don’t leave out Matt Rhule. He’s had a pretty good career up to this point.

Reaction Score
Don’t leave out Matt Rhule. He’s had a pretty good career up to this point.
Good one, forgot about him. Rhule and Kelly are the two that have been successful.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And for the record, Memphis Tn is not Bristol Tn. From Memphis a good spit would land in Arkansas.

I mean Memphis is on the state border of Arkansas with only the big muddy separating them. Was this some little known secret?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I mean Memphis is on the state border of Arkansas with only the big muddy separating them. Was this some little known secret?
The comment was in anticipation of someone throwing out a post stating Va Tech is a stone's throw from the Tennessee border (which is true but still vastly removed from Memphis).

Reaction Score
Fuente was disliked at VT. This was a fait accompli. Great job for right fit. Always hard to follow a legend, esp one still walking around campus.

FWIW, Kelly never coached in AAC.

Reaction Score

-> The coaching cycle has never spun this fast. That’s going to end up working against some of these athletic directors, as there’s simply a limited supply of qualified and experienced coaches to fill the open jobs. There have already been coaches extended in self-defense (P.J. Fleck at Minnesota, Jeff Traylor at UTSA and more to come), athletic directors talking smack on Twitter about keeping their coach (Ole Miss’ Ross Bjork) and endless denials like the ones Jimbo Fisher and Lincoln Riley have issued about LSU.

Athletic directors firing their coaches early in the cycle gives them plenty of time to do research. And for Georgia Southern (Clay Helton), Texas Tech (Joey McGuire) and Connecticut (Jim Mora), that early decision has allowed them to already put a coach in place and keep things moving. But for others, it’s not going to be that simple.

Where will candidates come from? Will the up-and-coming G5 crowd get pulled to the other side of the moat — Louisiana’s Billy Napier, Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell and Nevada’s Jay Norvell will all be heavily courted. Are they splashy enough?

Coordinators like Clemson’s never-leave duo (Tony Elliott and Brent Venables), Alabama’s Bill O’Brien, Georgia’s Dan Lanning, Texas A&M’s Mike Elko, Notre Dame’s Marcus Freeman and Wisconsin’s Jim Leonhard will all be pursued. But can they energize a fan base?

There’s not much of a market for coaches sitting out. One name not expected to re-emerge in this cycle is former Texas coach Tom Herman, according to sources, as he’s happy working as a consultant in the NFL. <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

-> The coaching cycle has never spun this fast. That’s going to end up working against some of these athletic directors, as there’s simply a limited supply of qualified and experienced coaches to fill the open jobs. There have already been coaches extended in self-defense (P.J. Fleck at Minnesota, Jeff Traylor at UTSA and more to come), athletic directors talking smack on Twitter about keeping their coach (Ole Miss’ Ross Bjork) and endless denials like the ones Jimbo Fisher and Lincoln Riley have issued about LSU.

Athletic directors firing their coaches early in the cycle gives them plenty of time to do research. And for Georgia Southern (Clay Helton), Texas Tech (Joey McGuire) and Connecticut (Jim Mora), that early decision has allowed them to already put a coach in place and keep things moving. But for others, it’s not going to be that simple.

Where will candidates come from? Will the up-and-coming G5 crowd get pulled to the other side of the moat — Louisiana’s Billy Napier, Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell and Nevada’s Jay Norvell will all be heavily courted. Are they splashy enough?

Coordinators like Clemson’s never-leave duo (Tony Elliott and Brent Venables), Alabama’s Bill O’Brien, Georgia’s Dan Lanning, Texas A&M’s Mike Elko, Notre Dame’s Marcus Freeman and Wisconsin’s Jim Leonhard will all be pursued. But can they energize a fan base?

There’s not much of a market for coaches sitting out. One name not expected to re-emerge in this cycle is former Texas coach Tom Herman, according to sources, as he’s happy working as a consultant in the NFL. <-

I wonder if Herman has the same deal as Mora....of he got a job he would be working for free.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom