2020-21 midseason transfer thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020-21 midseason transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't Carter a rising senior? Not saying people don't leave after their junior year but wow.. that would be something.
I mean she could stay I suppose but she does technically have 2 years left to play given the extra year of eligibility

For Miss St's sake, they really need her to stay, even though this hasn't been a great year overall for her and the team.

Reaction Score
of course this year will be the wild wild west for transfers so NMP will be able to get bodies if she needs them
I dont think getting the bodies will be the issue, they will obviously IMO go to the portal this offseason to add to the roster but quality and talent level may drop off a bit with the departure of certain athletes.

Reaction Score
Kentucky wouldn’t surprise me.
Them and A&M have cashed in on those transfers lately.

I will be interested to see if kids will want to play for Elzy. I’m not very familiar with her though

Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine Rickea Jackson coming back to MSU. She was a starter from day 1 but Coach Schaefer pulled her from the starting lineup 6 times last year and NMP did it 3 times this year. Her playing time in those 9 games indicates that these non-starts weren't injury related so it appears that there have been some coach-player problems both years. Maybe there's another explanation, but I'm going to be extremely surprised if she stays. All indications are that next year will be a massive rebuilding year and that MSU will be relying quite a bit on the transfer portal.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Odd that Wiggins decides to announce before the NCAAs....she'd be a solid pickup though. Scary times though for Bulldog fans. If there's a mass exodus like many predict, I could see them instantly becoming SEC bottom feeders again which would be a huge shame considering Vic had them positioned to be a national powerhouse going forward.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Odd that Wiggins decides to announce before the NCAAs....she'd be a solid pickup though. Scary times though for Bulldog fans. If there's a mass exodus like many predict, I could see them instantly becoming SEC bottom feeders again which would be a huge shame considering Vic had them positioned to be a national powerhouse going forward.

It's really sad our fanbase and AD knows nothing about women's basketball and simply read a paper on McCray's small achievements at Old Dominion. I can't believe we let one useless woman destroy our entire team.... that's unfathomable to me.

I knew it was a train wreck hire from the start. I tried to warn people on the MSU boards and all I got was hate. Those same people are liking my posts now.. hehe.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It's really sad our fanbase and AD knows nothing about women's basketball and simply read a paper on McCray's small achievements at Old Dominion. I can't believe we let one useless woman destroy our entire team.... that's unfathomable to me.

I knew it was a train wreck hire from the start. I tried to warn people on the MSU boards and all I got was hate. Those same people are liking my posts now.. hehe.

I think it was a tough situation for any coach to walk into considering Vic left for a different program, none of the kids were recruited by her and the coaching transition was viewed as a downgrade. She could still turn it around but I think it takes at least a couple of years. Just frustrating to see how one year could potentially kill a program like this year might for Mississippi State.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I think it was a tough situation for any coach to walk into considering Vic left for a different program, none of the kids were recruited by her and the coaching transition was viewed as a downgrade. She could still turn it around but I think it takes at least a couple of years. Just frustrating to see how one year could potentially kill a program like this year might for Mississippi State.

I don't think it was that tough. Vic left a loaded roster returning nearly everybody except Danberry. When Carolyn Peck, Gail Goestenkors, Pokey Chatman, and Pat Summitt left... the successors were all at least good the following year. Maybe not Purdue, but Kristie Curry had them back in the National Title game one year later. No way is that happening in Starkville next year.

And yeah, these are not good times for State and one year is particularly damaging in Covid times where the transfer portal is expected to run amok. I don't think we're gonna have McCray for a rebuild though. If we're as bad as I think next year, I believe one of our forum insiders say she's probably done. Hopeful that his claims have merit.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think it was that tough. Vic left a loaded roster returning nearly everybody except Danberry. When Carolyn Peck, Gail Goestenkors, Pokey Chatman, and Pat Summitt left... the successors were all at least good the following year. Maybe not Purdue, but Kristie Curry had them back in the National Title game one year later. No way is that happening in Starkville next year.

And yeah, these are not good times for State and one year is particularly damaging in Covid times where the transfer portal is expected to run amok. I don't think we're gonna have McCray for a rebuild though. If we're as bad as I think next year, I believe one of our forum insiders say she's probably done. Hopeful that his claims have merit.
Different circumstances though. Peck and Chatman weren't head coaches who recruited the kids on the returning roster, so the players there didn't pick their school based on the coach. Holly recruited all of the players and they had a brand new lineup with almost all starters graduating. GG I'll give you but they were not close to being the same team under McCallie. They had an undefeated regular season in 2007 and #1 overall seed, and in 2008 had a slew of losses and were a #3 seed. The team was markedly worse.

Roster was loaded, but convincing all those kids to buy into her system after finding a lot of success under Vic is a tough sell IMO. She had no familiarity with the players or the program and was expected to lead them back to be a Final Four contender. It's easier to get players to buy in when they:

1. choose to play for you (none of the players were recruited by McCray)
2. Previously played for a less successful headcoach
3. are projected to take on a larger role in your system

McCray should have done a better job with this group but I dont think it was as great of a situation considering the high expectations and pressure she had to live up to from day 1.

Reaction Score
Poor Chloe Bibby, seemingly just a next to nothing player in the eyes of a lot of Bulldog fans. But I've shot down that "loaded roster" myth several times and this is a thread about transfers so I'll refrain from laying out the details once again. But one thing we all seem to agree on is MSU will have a very different roster when next season starts.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Poor Chloe Bibby, seemingly just a next to nothing player in the eyes of a lot of Bulldog fans. But I've shot down that "loaded roster" myth several times and this is a thread about transfers so I'll refrain from laying out the details once again. But one thing we all seem to agree on is MSU will have a very different roster when next season starts.

But you don't seem to be short of excuses. No coach looks this bad inheriting a Top 10 team. It's very rare. I don't care if these weren't her players. That's just more excuses.

If she was slightly worse..... sure I'll take that, but she has been WAY WORSE. McCallie was not nearly this awful in her 1st year at Duke. Not hanging onto the last 2 spots of the bubble in any case. You do realize the American Athletic Conference Tournament could decide whether we play in the tournament or not.. right? We went from great to bad instantly.

Reaction Score
Realist or unwilling to see what is oblivious. Bibby was never a next to nothing player, she was the first off the bench as a freshman and a starter as a sophomore. She had an ACL injury as a sophomore and had to sit out the rest of the year. Bibby’s junior year she wore a knee brace and just was not the same player, however she still was a major contributor. Her playing time was reduced for her junior year, either because of her knee or because MSST had other talented players. Bibby appears to have fully recovered and is now playing well, no knee brace, with Maryland. I do agree next years roster will be different but I believe that is due to NMP ”coaching” style. I do not believe MSST will ever see a winning team with that coaching style.

Reaction Score
Jmsdawg, I hope you realize that my next to nothing comment about Bibby was in reference to SimpleDawg's earlier comment that, "Vic left a loaded roster returning nearly everybody except Danberry." I've heard that "except Danberry" comment from so many MSU people. Last year Bibby was coming back from an injury and of the starters she did play the least minutes per game (23), but she was 2nd in rebounding, 4th in points, and her turnovers were way below the other starters and 3 of the subs. She was a key contributor last year but NMP critics act like Bibby was an insignificant member of the 2019-20 team and wasn't much of a loss for the 2020-21 season.

Reaction Score
Jmsdawg, I hope you realize that my next to nothing comment about Bibby was in reference to SimpleDawg's earlier comment that, "Vic left a loaded roster returning nearly everybody except Danberry." I've heard that "except Danberry" comment from so many MSU people. Last year Bibby was coming back from an injury and of the starters she did play the least minutes per game (23), but she was 2nd in rebounding, 4th in points, and her turnovers were way below the other starters and 3 of the subs. She was a key contributor last year but NMP critics act like Bibby was an insignificant member of the 2019-20 team and wasn't much of a loss for the 2020-21 season.
MSST fans loved Chloe Bibby. I spend quite a lot of time on the boneyard and I do not believe any MSST fan believed Bibby was an insignificant member of last season’s team. We wanted Bibby and Andi to remain with MSST, it was their choice to transfer and I and many other MSST fans believe both were motivated to transfer because they wanted more playing time. I believe lack of playing time was a contributing factor in Xaria decision to transfer. I suspect other transfer are coming where playing time will not be a factor, if these transfer occur within our current starters I believe those transfer will be due to NMP coaching.

Reaction Score
Pokey Chatman

photo2.jpg

Saw her near LSU not long ago actually

Reaction Score
Raoul has Treasure Thompson out of LSU into the portal, as well.

Only played in 6 games, but I thought she had some potential.

Reaction Score
Raoul has Treasure Thompson out of LSU into the portal, as well.

Only played in 6 games, but I thought she had some potential.
I heard there may be another 2. Rumblings are there could be a coaching change if they aren’t in the NCAAT after next week’s selection show

not too surprised though. They didn’t really attempt to play any of the freshmen this year at all even with how bad they were at times

Reaction Score
I heard there may be another 2. Rumblings are there could be a coaching change if they aren’t in the NCAAT after next week’s selection show
Wow. Are there any projections that show LSU in the tournament? I thought most people had them solidly on the wrong side of the bubble.

Can't say the news really surprises me, though. LSU has such an excellent tradition; recent performance just hasn't been that good. And I believe that Thompson was their best Fr recruit ...

Reaction Score
Wow. Are there any projections that show LSU in the tournament? I thought most people had them solidly on the wrong side of the bubble.
Not really. Their net is in the 60s but they did horribly in OOC play and didn’t win a single game in February. In the end the wins over A&M and Georgia IMO won’t be able to outweigh the rest of the bad on our resume. We are 4 games under .500 as well, that’s not good enough.

I would rather rip the bandaid off now and move on especially if Pointer isn’t back. Next year will be ugly regardless, might as well start the rebuild sooner. Waiting an additional year does nothing. She has been given more than enough time. She appeared to be a good hire but it didn’t work out. She truthfully should have been gone a lot sooner than this. COVID excuse isn’t gonna fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom