2020-21 midseason transfer thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020-21 midseason transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought we had talked about this before. No issues with your definition I just had a different one in mind. To me an era is a time period over which you have actually accomplished something positive. At the time of that post I think ND was below .500 i.e., ND had not accomplish anything worthwhile to be talking about the beginning of no era.
As you correctly acknowledged to NWhoopfan, era's can be both good and bad and while Ivey's official start of the Era occurs in 2020-21, she had a big hand in recruiting all the Seniors, Juniors and Sophomores as the lead recruiter for MM. This is not like Kelly Jolly Harper taking over Holly's dysfunction in Tennessee where she played no hand in that roster construction. I would say Niele's start of her career parallel's some aspects of Holly's-she can recruit but can't figure out how to actually coach in games as ND has whittled away many games with leads in the 4th quarter. While one would think this could be "learned process", we shall have to observe as it doesn't look like it's getting better. The latest Covid pause has only helped ND avoid NC State (loss) and now the Syracuse game is at risk. Next two weeks also have FSU and Louisville, that's 3 losses and with Syracuse a "maybe" and Pitt a probable win.

Reaction Score
Another Vandy transfer: Kyndall Golden
Only played in 4 of the team’s 8 games.

Reaction Score
I had the same assessment. Although her spot was largely taken by the JC transfer Naomi Mbandu this season it "feels" like there's more to the story. Like Jamir Huston a short while ago (who did receive some playing time) this seems to be an odd time to leave a program. Why not wait until after the tournament(s) conclude? One thing about Katie Meier is that everyone gets many chances to prove themselves on the court (sometimes too many).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few updates for @Plebe:

Carlie Littlefield will rejoin Banghart at UNC.

Eleah Parker chose UVA. I’ll refrain from further comment.

This isn’t mid-season, but:

Bummer for Xavier.

For those of us who are less familiar, schools of players would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction Score
So is this a thread about mid-season transfers, or a transfer thread that was started during the mid-season?

Reaction Score
I wonder how busy the portal is going to be with most of the conference tournaments wrapping up.

Think about this: about 1,000 seniors (~330 schools x ~3 seniors/team) whose careers would normally be over now have the opportunity to grad transfer and get a free year of grad school. Even if just 10% take advantage of this ....

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Think about this: about 1,000 seniors (~330 schools x ~3 seniors/team) whose careers would normally be over now have the opportunity to grad transfer and get a free year of grad school. Even if just 10% take advantage of this ....
Great, now my head hurts trying to do math...curse you VG, curse you!

Reaction Score
There is literally no purpose to keeping White. She is bad, the team quit on her and most of them are looking to go to another school.
An announcement a couple of days ago she’d be back I believe.

Reaction Score
An announcement a couple of days ago she’d be back I believe.
They will be lucky to field a team next fall the way things are going. I guess they will just wait till next year to spend as little money as possible

Reaction Score
The sources, who spoke to The Tennessean on condition of anonymity, said that White's case to return was strengthened by the abrupt end to this season, progress made before that and the promise of her incoming recruiting class. But the 2021-22 season will be a critical one.
LOL

so basically opting out of the season saved her job. While the Auburn coach played on and ended up getting fired

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link and I would say the writer did a nice job on the analysis with a few key and critical facts and logical observations are missing:
It was announced at the time of her coming on that the contract was 6 years in length. Likewise Stephanie herself made reference to the large contract she was given to “secure financially her family needs” which also referenced her as one of the top 3 or 4 highest paid coaches in the SEC at that time. I estimated that amount to be between $850k to 950k. She also lured Carolyn Peck from the announcers booth to be an assistant. That only lasted those first two years with Vandy going 21-40 including that disastrous 7-24 second year. That alone starts to signal “red flags”.
Honestly, unless White would forego her last year of the contract, the school was on the hook to pay. The writer also failed to mention how bad the financial situation is that the new AD inherited so they can't even afford a buyout and to pay a new coach. As this new AD is a former hoop player and most good coaches get “extensions before the contract enters the last year” my guess is she’s heavily involved and White has been given specific goals to achieve to keep her job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is one of the players I would have liked to see transfer to South Carolina to provide a veteran PG off the bench with Destanni Henderson moving to the starting line up.

Reaction Score
Great, now my head hurts trying to do math...curse you VG, curse you!
That's on me. I did ask how many.............sorry

james corden oops GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link and I would say the writer did a nice job on the analysis with a few key and critical facts and logical observations are missing:
It was announced at the time of her coming on that the contract was 6 years in length. Likewise Stephanie herself made reference to the large contract she was given to “secure financially her family needs” which also referenced her as one of the top 3 or 4 highest paid coaches in the SEC at that time. I estimated that amount to be between $850k to 950k. She also lured Carolyn Peck from the announcers booth to be an assistant. That only lasted those first two years with Vandy going 21-40 including that disastrous 7-24 second year. That alone starts to signal “red flags”.
Honestly, unless White would forego her last year of the contract, the school was on the hook to pay. The writer also failed to mention how bad the financial situation is that the new AD inherited so they can't even afford a buyout and to pay a new coach. As this new AD is a former hoop player and most good coaches get “extensions before the contract enters the last year” my guess is she’s heavily involved and White has been given specific goals to achieve to keep her job.

I agree with your take on the article: nice overall job with summarizing where the program came from and where it is now. And very much agree with your points. White got a logistical pass with the decision not to play this year.
Players continue to bail -- gosh knows who the three freshman are going to play with. (I know a program that had nothing but freshmen and untested sophomores to play in a P5 conference and it didnt' turn out very well :rolleyes:?)

So, White gets one more year -- probably with strict oversight from the AD and proabably without a contract extension, which won't help with recruiting. Finances must really be poor because this whole situation wreaks of lose your face to save your nose (to turn that around).

Meantime, just over east, one of the finalists for the Vandy job, Courtney Banghart, has one of the best of her former players decide to spend her last year of eligibility at North Carolina. Says a lot that a Princeton star would follow her coach down Tar Heel Way while the "winner" is leaking players.

Reaction Score
A week ago I joked that Vandy's cancelling the season probably saved White's job and may have cost Flo hers. Dont get me wrong Auburn needed to make a change sooner or later, but certainly the 0 SEC wins for them helped that happen.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A week ago I joked that Vandy's cancelling the season probably saved White's job and may have cost Flo hers. Dont get me wrong Auburn needed to make a change sooner or later, but certainly the 0 SEC wins for them helped that happen.

Along similar lines, how many bubble teams in the ACC were swearing when UVA cancelled their season? Jen Hoover and Wake, among others, would've loved to play the Cavaliers this season, home or away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom