2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon

C

Chief00

I strongly disagree. Look at who was coaching them on fundamentals: high school coaches and diacos staff. If returning players still look terrible this season then I'll agree with you. Until then there's not enough data. Crocker was dealt a bad hand and Edsall knows it.

Let’s assume that narrative - then why did he focus on recruiting DB’s rather than DLs and LBs.

Reaction Score
Because the scheme requires more DBs than DL and LB and their roles in the defense are more important

It's also harder to find big guys who can play this game than smaller guys. Big people are just more rare. You only need a few and Diaco wasn't getting them. I have no problem with the defensive schema. I don't know Crocker, how he game plans and how he motivates, but I have faith that Randy does. As mentioned by others there were not enough D1 players on this team. I sat 11 rows behind the bench and saw too many guys who looked like me (a former D3 player). I'm cautiously optimistic that a few returning guys will step up at DB and LB. Hoping Okounam and a grad transfer or two can help on the DLine and then the incoming freshman will help a lot. Continued improvement on offense with a pace of play that lines up with how the defense is playing will limit possessions resulting in WINS!

Reaction Score
The only responsibility of the DL in the 3-3-5 is to control their gap.

This is based on Don Brown’s 3-3-5 defensive scheme at Michigan. In Brown’s defense he removes a true NT for another LB and play a DT over the C.

3-3-5 Fundamentals

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only responsibility of the DL in the 3-3-5 is to control their gap.

This is based on Don Brown’s 3-3-5 defensive scheme at Michigan. In Brown’s defense he removes a true NT for another LB and play a DT over the C.

3-3-5 Fundamentals | mgoblog
Yes, anyone wondering why they're not getting a pass rush doesn't understand the scheme.

Reaction Score
834.png

Congrats on being clueless....

Ok, clue me in. Start with "I give DC Crocker a grade of (A to F) for his coaching performance in 2017". Seems like a simple way for me to understand how I should rate his coaching in 2017.

Reaction Score
Interesting...I think you solved the problem. We were playing with 11 DBs.
In Crockers 3-3, you bring pressure from different DBs... they can come off the edge, from a weak side or string side alignment where an OLB would be, strong safety spot, etc.. its all about giving the O no idea where pressure will come from..the problem starts when our guys actually get picked up and are neutralized like little Pop Warner kids.

Reaction Score
I strongly disagree. Look at who was coaching them on fundamentals: high school coaches and diacos staff. If returning players still look terrible this season then I'll agree with you. Until then there's not enough data. Crocker was dealt a bad hand and Edsall knows it.
I’m really hoping I’m wrong JMick. I really do.

Reaction Score
Yes, anyone wondering why they're not getting a pass rush doesn't understand the scheme.
The pressure comes from selective DB blitzes that can come from anywhere. That’s half the theory of the 3-3. The DL has to maintain outside leverage and contain. There is no other choice in that scheme. The problem is fill. You need lightening fast gap shooting by pseudo LBs to make plays. But, there is not enough density blunt the point of attack. Every D has its weakness.

Reaction Score
In Crockers 3-3, you bring pressure from different DBs... they can come off the edge, from a weak side or string side alignment where an OLB would be, strong safety spot, etc.. its all about giving the O no idea where pressure will come from..the problem starts when our guys actually get picked up and are neutralized like little Pop Warner kids.

The thing is, we did little of that out of the 3-3-5 last year. We typically just rushed 3 with one linebacker on the line of scrimmage at the snap, while giving receivers a huge cushion. There was little effort to disguise blitzes or coverages. The 3-3-5 is an inherently aggressive scheme, and it was (seemingly deliberately) played in a very passive manner last year. Was that Crocker or Edsall? A few minutes of easy research shows that Crocker's defense at Villanova played more like a typical 3-3-5 with disguised blitzes and receivers being jammed at the line. Do what you want with that information.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is there any insight as to what media coverage will be available on Saturday? I've been to the last 3 or 4 spring games, but this one will be close. I certainly won't be tailgating. I remember one game between 2004 and 2007 that was actually televised. Any shot of anything remotely close to that on Saturday?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The thing is, we did little of that out of the 3-3-5 last year. We typically just rushed 3 with one linebacker on the line of scrimmage at the snap, while giving receivers a huge cushion. There was little effort to disguise blitzes or coverages.
<--This is certainly the way I remember last year; one LB at the LOS as a fourth man on many downs. Problem was - in my eyes - the LBs we had were not particularly disruptive or capable of reaching the QB through the lanes. Plus - as already stated, our DBs just couldn't make plays back there. I think the 3-3-5 will need a much more sophisticated blitz mix up (corner, safety and LB blitzes) to work going forward. Its either upgrade the blitz creativity or get some lock down corners. I think the former is more obtainable than the latter for 2018.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We used to get great play at LB. Over the last several years not at all. Joseph was the best we've had over the past 3-4 seasons and outside of him there hasn't been a LB who would have sniffed the field 4 years ago. Slow.................

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We used to get great play at LB. Over the last several years not at all. Joseph was the best we've had over the past 3-4 seasons and outside of him there hasn't been a LB who would have sniffed the field 4 years ago. Slow.......

We havent had the horses at OLB or DE

Reaction Score
We havent had the horses at OLB or DE

Exactly right. And last season we were young at DB so the D just got torched. The D is going to be young everywhere this season. My hope is that it's much more athletic (at least the front 6-7) and can develop as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Ok, clue me in. Start with "I give DC Crocker a grade of (A to F) for his coaching performance in 2017". Seems like a simple way for me to understand how I should rate his coaching in 2017.
Truthfully, I wouldn’t give Crocker a grade. I give him a pass. I think HCRE understands that it would take time to successfully install the 3-3-5. Anyone that follows and really knows football understands that you have a new DC, installing a new scheme with new terminology to Diaco’s recruits. Recruits, who were brought in to a 4-3 scheme. A team with little to no true DL recruits on the roster (most were converted TEs), minimal depth at LB, and not enough DBs. It was not going to be easy. However, it was the best option given the make up of the roster, the depth up front, and the spread offenses they would face in the conference. Did they think it would be the worst defense in the country? I’m going to say, NO. But, a new scheme, a ton of youth on the back end, a lack of understanding and an inability to communicate adjustments on the field, it was the perfect storm. They had to spend a majority of snaps in a very vanilla base defense. The silver lining is players gained experience, a deeper understanding of the scheme, and have film to grow from. The staff got chance to see what worked and what didn’t. What they need. Who fits the scheme, and who doesn’t. Their recruiting efforts focused on depth on the OL, upgrading the speed on both sides of the ball, and more athletic LBs and DBs. Do I think they will be better defensively this year? YES. But, I’m not expecting a huge jump. Like it or not, Lashlee’s offense (although vastly improved), did not help the defensive shortcomings. It exposed them. OC Dunn’s new offensive scheme, is essentially the same offense Lashlee ran. But, it’s easier to understand the terminology and assignments and the ability to change tempo will help a still growing defense. HCRE understood that and brought in an offensive mind that could help. Lashlee wasn’t going to slow things down. If people don’t realize any of these things and put everything on the DC and Edsall, they’re clueless.

Tell me if this quote below sounds familiar....It’s pretty similar to a quote HCRE made earlier last season when kids on defense were thinking rather then reacting. Embrace the process. Things will change, just not as quick as some want it to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here’s my two cents on this entire mindset about the poor defense. Hard to argue that it was extremely porrous and downright atrocious at times. There was missed assignments and tackles galore.
The reason why Crocker runs a 3-3-5 is because UConn doesn’t have big ole country lineman that can stuff run lanes and stud ends that can get around the edge and generate pressure followed by sick LB’s to clean up the mess ala a gazillion tackles at the second level.
So what does he scheme? Same as a host of other college coaches do when they just lack that pizzazz up front to get the job done. They run this defense to get and extra athletic safety/LB that can help supplement extra blitzes and stunts to confuse the offense and generate pressure that way. Problem is, with this defense (and pretty much sports period) you have to have assignment integrity. Blow an assignment here and you’re left exposed. And yes, better players/athletes help because you can mitigate the blown assignment with makeup speed and athleticism to make plays. SO, when you have more experienced, athletic and confident players, with this scheme, you can wreak havoc on an offense or at worst hold your own. I believe he had neither last year. There was a bunch of freshman that played (coupled with over matched guys due to lack of commitment to the program and lack of skill and strength) and you have the product that you guys are all bashing.
This year, at a minimum, the team is more experienced. I assume their is more assignment integrity because this is Year 2 in this scheme. And quite frankly, it seems like this team is way more invested in the unit as opposed to the individual. Strength and Conditioning seems to be way more advanced than last year. Add in a solid recruiting class that will only enhance the competition within practice starting in the summer and you have the makings of a better looking product on the field. This is only year two fellas. Sure it’s frustrating as fans but undoing and rebuilding six years of bad recruiting, lack of accountability and trash coaching takes time. We must be patient with this. I, for one, can see the change happening. Just seeing the old players coming back and offering their support coupled with what I see via twitter and solid reporting gives me confidence that the ship is being righted.
All my opinion of course but I rather think that way. It’s a choice of course.
I choose optimism.

I'll beat the dead horse. The defense was horrible, and general inexperience at the college level of play may, in part, been part of the reason. The real problem, if I correctly recall what I read in recent news reports, didn't more than a few coaches suggest UConn had a number of 1-aa players that should not have been recruited? The fact is, the defense has been bad for a long time. UConn struggled against 1-aa teams with the previous defensive schemes, and even lost to one.

The same AAC teams that smoked us last year has smoked us in previous years with different D schemes. I think the AAC football programs, for the most part, have a higher skill level that many of the old BE teams. Perhaps what worked against the BE teams proved to be a non factor in the AAC, and that is why some of Randy's coaches thought a new defensive scheme may work better because of the skill, or lack thereof of the players "some of whom may be over their heads"........regardless of what scheme was utilized.

I just threw my two cents at the dead horse........and I don't discount opinions others have expressed. But UWVa used the same defense for years in the BE, and it seemed to work fine for them.

I'm willing to maintain my support for the coaches and their bottom line for defining deficiencies. I agree this year will be tough, and its not fair to think incoming inexperience freshmen will make an immediate impact. UConn does not get more than a handful of players each class that would be successful in P5 leagues. It will take a few classes to build the program close to where it once was.

Lets not forget, Randy can not sell UConn as a program that has a chance to play post season in some BCS bowl.

C

Chief00

The pressure comes from selective DB blitzes that can come from anywhere. That’s half the theory of the 3-3. The DL has to maintain outside leverage and contain. There is no other choice in that scheme. The problem is fill. You need lightening fast gap shooting by pseudo LBs to make plays. But, there is not enough density blunt the point of attack. Every D has its weakness.

We went one direction - other than Foley who was neutralized by a double team - backwards. The DBs were not physical enough to tackle anyone. It was an F grade.

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 39m 39 minutes ago
At UConn FB practice this morning. WR Hergy Malala (knee) on the sidelines today. Will see how serious that is.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 37m 37 minutes ago
At UConn for spring football practice. Receiver Hergy Mayala watching from sidelines. Looks like he is wearing a brace on left knee.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 58s 59 seconds ago
Mayala has a sprained MCL, Edsall doesn’t think it’s too bad.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 24 s24 seconds ago
RB Kevin Mensah, QB Marvin Washington, DL James Atkins all out for academic reasons, won’t play Saturday.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom