2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 102 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have times changed all that much? Twitter and Social Media and better coverage by more & more Recruiting/Evaluation services ... for sure.

Here is a "list" of last minute HCRE recruits in the 1.0 FBS era. I define these as totally off the Rivals/Scout radar of the time ... or Public news. Kids that never were mentioned before the week prior to NLOI day. Many came from Florida; but not all. Many were highly productive in their UConn career; some were ignominiously never on campus or left in a cloud. Many many were high quality kids - and I followed Rivals daily back then - that never were on a service.

Often ... HCRE and staff kept tabs on kids to the Nth moment and swooped in. And many I think never took an official visit.

How different is it today? For one point, WE (I believe) are FAR better at keeping the Data Base Inventory today than 10 years ago. The technology gives one a huge advantage to watch in real time how these kids produce through their senior year. And the IM/DM messaging allows coaches to maintain daily constant better. I still believe that UConn can grab a highly productive Keith Gray or Jasper Howard that last few days.

Sam Dorvil FB

Mike Hall DE

Danta Moore DB

Robert Theodele LB

Keith Gray OL

Jonathan Smith LB

Will Beatty OT

Darius Butler DB

Tony Ciaravino K

Brandon Dillon DL

Dan Ryan OT

Dennis Brown QB

Alex Polito DL

Mathieu Olivier OL

Mike Cox LB

Darran McKhan DB

Greg Robinson LB

Stormy Butler DB

Kindley Jacques OT

Jasper Howard DB

Isiah Moore WR

Greg Lloyd Jr LB

Jory Johnson LB

Corey Manning TE

AJ Portee DE

Mike Lang WR

Dwayne Difton WR

Reaction Score
Have times changed? In a word, yes!

If you're over 40, you're an old fogy in regards to how kids these days announce everything via social media.

Reaction Score
Have times changed? In a word, yes!

If you're over 40, you're an old fogy in regards to how kids these days announce everything via social media.

It's my pleasure ... as I am over 40 ... to point out anomalies and holes in that posture.

I see this - once again - in the Market Theories developed. That is, there are huge inefficiencies in the information we rely on.

Reaction Score
It's my pleasure ... as I am over 40 ... to point out anomalies and holes in that posture.

I see this - once again - in the Market Theories developed. That is, there are huge inefficiencies in the information we rely on.
You're welcomed to believe that. I'm over 40 as well, the only way I see what you're saying working going forward is if UConn is a kids only offer and is specifically told that he risks losing the offer if he goes on social media to report it. Otherwise, almost nothing doesn't get tweeted by kids in that age group when it comes to recruiting. If it's not them, it's their coach, family member or teammate.

This isn't about markets, it's about this generation of kids and their social media tendencies. They've grown up never not having it.

You don't really need a recruiting subscription anymore. Every prospect links his hudl tape to his Twitter bio. I have to believe it's going to 100 percent kill recruiting paid sites going forward.

Reaction Score
Most kids are active in social media today, so you get more info than in the past. That said, this week some kids may be left at the recruiting altar as schools sort through their commitment numbers before signing day. That could free up some kids that we don't know about right now.

Reaction Score
Most kids are active in social media today, so you get more info than in the past. That said, this week some kids may be left at the recruiting altar as schools sort through their commitment numbers before signing day. That could free up some kids that we don't know about right now.
Glass half full mindset.. I like this... looking forward to a surprise or 2 on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
You're welcomed to believe that. I'm over 40 as well, the only way I see what you're saying working going forward is if UConn is a kids only offer and is specifically told that he risks losing the offer if he goes on social media to report it. Otherwise, almost nothing doesn't get tweeted by kids in that age group when it comes to recruiting. If it's not them, it's their coach, family member or teammate.

This isn't about markets, it's about this generation of kids and their social media tendencies. They've grown up never not having it.

You don't really need a recruiting subscription anymore. Every prospect links his hudl tape to his Twitter bio. I have to believe it's going to 100 percent kill recruiting paid sites going forward.

I don't see your Post mutually exclusive with what I wrote nor believe. Per UConnJim as well.

There are just thousands of kids. There is a UConn computer track that is far more extensive than there used to be. And with all that Twitter/Social Media. There just is far too much information that isn't widely known about far too many athletes. Even with some kids not participatory in the mainstream of what is recruiting. At the last NLOI signing day, things are going to happen / not happen ... and HCRE + Richardson + the younger assistants are intent on finding those opportunistic wins. Relationships with coaches (unlike College Hoop today) is vital.

Reaction Score
Que the sound from The Price is Right when you lose (womp womp wommp).... best of luck to Rayam at UAB... We still have a lot to work with already thank God...
Well said. Definite bummer we didn’t get him but happy for him and his future. And yes, we do have some good pieces to work with. Hopefully we’ll get a surprise signing or two on Wed.

Reaction Score
I don't see your Post mutually exclusive with what I wrote nor believe. Per UConnJim as well.

There are just thousands of kids. There is a UConn computer track that is far more extensive than there used to be. And with all that Twitter/Social Media. There just is far too much information that isn't widely known about far too many athletes. Even with some kids not participatory in the mainstream of what is recruiting. At the last NLOI signing day, things are going to happen / not happen ... and HCRE + Richardson + the younger assistants are intent on finding those opportunistic wins. Relationships with coaches (unlike College Hoop today) is vital.

Okay. I'm refraining from any other conversation on this matter. Please respect my decision. Blessed beyond words.

Reaction Score
Was hoping for 2 bat signals this w/e. Would’ve settled for one. We didn’t get a goose egg, we ended up negative 1?

Reaction Score
Really disappointed we didn't get Rayam or Woodson. Those were the type of kids that built this program in its peak years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom