2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 100 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was at the USF game near the 30 yd line on USF's side of the field... when we had them 3rd and forever and their QB thru nearly a 20 yard screen pass to the long side of the field where we sat, and both our tacklers completely whiffed, letting the WR take it to the house, you gotta believe from that alone it can't get any worse...

Agreed. If there's one trait that sticks out in our 2018 DBs, it's that most of them wrap up and drive when they tackle. They're aggressive and seem to like hitting. That's huge in a league where so many teams spread it out wide and where we need to make open field tackles near the sidelines.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm under the impression that a number of defensive players did not totally buy into the scheme.

Well I hope that our secondary did, because most of them are returning besides Summers and Bell!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just to state the obvious, Rayam visited FAU last weekend and here we are on Wednesday without an update. Hmmm. Rayam is key.

Meanwhile twitter prolific Haynes continues to have his UConn offer pinned. Seems like he is still coming here. And DeVaughn has our offer pinned as well.

I think Haynes is pretty much a shoe in, and I'll take DeVaughn...he looks better than Surgers IMO, who I'm still sort of curious about--thought he was a strange guy to go after. Hoping for Rayam.

Reaction Score
After last year, when we couldn't even keep teams at bay at 3rd and 20+, sky's gotta be the limit going forward... Can't get any worse than last season on D for us....Can it?
I certainly hope not. They were in the bottom 10 in all of FBS 1-A of yards allowed, yards allowed per game, points allowed per game and points allowed last season. The defense allowed the most passing yards per game IN THE COUNTRY by nearly 23 yards per game.

All stats found here

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I certainly hope not. They were in the bottom 10 in all of FBS 1-A of yards allowed, yards allowed per game, points allowed per game and points allowed last season. The defense allowed the most passing yards per game IN THE COUNTRY by nearly 23 yards per game.

All stats found here

First year with a new defense and in all honesty not having the speed and right players for the system. Now things have to improve this year, no doubt.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When did Robinson join the UConn staff? I think I missed any sort of announcement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Back up plans for Rayam? Well - I don't like thinking about it - but one idea would be to offer Chike Nwankwo, a LB down in Bridgewater NJ. Not sure Nwanko has the foot speed to play LB in our system however (reports 4.82 40 speed on HUDL), but he does display a great ability to shoot the gap and get to RBs in the backfield with some physicality. On 1/27/18 he accepted a PWO with Rutgers.

Lucine Turay posted this tweet at Randy back on early signing day which is interesting:

Chike Nwankwo on Hudl

Wholley and DDC are following Nwankwo.

Reaction Score
It didn’t work out so well for last LB we took from bridgewater.

Reaction Score
Chike does some good things against the run. Could develop with some strength but could easily grow into decent ILB size not so sure about DE. Good first couple of steps willing to tackle through runners with decent form.

Reaction Score
So, anybody know who's visiting this the final OV week before signing day?

Reaction Score
Would like to go the JUCO route with remaining schollies. Need to even out class sizes and have some guys who are closer to compete

Reaction Score
Rayam is obviously going through the whole process with a visit to UAB scheduled for today & tomorrow. He may also be waiting to see if there is a late offer from another school or even a PWO from Alabama since his dad played at Alabama. Wouldn't be happy but would understand if UConn lost him to a late P5 offer or even an SEC PWO, but I just don't want to come in second to Kiffen/FAU or UAB. Getting a kid out of the south has its challenges.

Reaction Score
STORM CAPTAIN, BRENDAN CASEY VISITS UCONN TODAY. @BCasey70 @StLukesStorm #workday
020.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone have an idea how many PWO Edsall might take if? I would think we would not more than 4 PWOs - all with the promise of a scholarship after two years in the program at the school's option. If a scholarship is granted in the first or second year it would count towards the 25 scholarship annual cap.

I'm hoping we have Larry Moulds (DT from Hartford), Blanton (RB from Hartford) and that OL from GA lined up for PWO already. I think we should be looking at a PWO TE as well.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members